Reaction to yer Piratey ways

Red Cat Jenny

That is soooo Clint!

I was going through some of KISH's old event movies and discovered Clint as a 'hollywood pyrate'!

Captain, if you can find the 'collection of Kish' that I sent to you several years back (did you ever get it back from Jackie?) There is a student film feature about 3 mins long with him and his first wife, Rachelle doing a fencing scene.

Do you know of it?

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is soooo Clint!

I was going through some of KISH's old event movies and discovered Clint as a 'hollywood pyrate'!

Captain, if you can find the 'collection of Kish' that I sent to you several years back (did you ever get it back from Jackie?) There is a student film feature about 3 mins long with him and his first wife, Rachelle doing a fencing scene.

Do you know of it?

Yes I've seen that one...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 2 months later...

merrymakin in Pirate clothes this year? Thought I'd bump this up for fun..

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Not in pyrate garb, but in SCA costume - tourney clothes to court dress.

Liqour stores

grocery stores

gas stations

restaurants

fast food joints

Best one was after a two day equestrien event. Fifteen of us in costume, sweaty, dirty, dusty and smelling of horse, overtook a Sizzler. It was hilarious. We'd be standing in line at the salade bar, and people would start sniffing, then look at us and step back three paces. We had a blast.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

HA! Now there's a way to get to the head of the line.... :blink:

My favorite encounter in pirate garb was during the Fells Point Pirate Invasion. My friends and I were in a bar getting ready to go outside where the closing ceremonies were going on across the street. There were already lots of pirates out there.

A guy in regular clothes comes up to me, points out the window and says, "Hey, you're missing your high school reunion".

One of my friends was pulled over in garb with a car load of other friends in costume. The cop didn't even look twice. Just gave them a ticket (he forgot to update his registration sticker) and didn't say a thing. No sense of humor ;)

The last time I was in garb, over the Halloween weekend after the Escondido faire was over for the day, we went over to IHOP for dinner. We go there so often, that many of the employees know us...well by sight anyways.

We came in garb and they all looked really weird at us and I said, " See this is what we really wear!" ;)

So...post some pictures of your everyday pyratical self!

It seems I see the wimmin folk in pyratical, or semi-pyratical stylin' gear each and every day.

Me? If'n I wear my north sea coat over regular "business wear", just to stop a chill on my commute in ta work, mind ya', I get looks as if'n I were a brigand or somethin'...

For'n example...breeches and stripey socks.

Acceptable workday fare for gents these daze?

Ah! But the wimmins...dontcha know we love ya in 'em!

Relatively new to pyracy, meself, but I have had one event that fits the topic reasonably.

April of this year I went to the Channel Islands for four days of helping out on Royaliste for a film shoot. This included starting to take the rig down afterwards (so she could be transported overland), which was a double-shotted blast to participate in. Many thanks again to the masters and crew of that fine vessel, and if any of you reading this ever hear of a chance to sign the articles with these good people, go out of your way to take it.

At the beginning of the drive home I stopped in at the Ventura County Maritime Museum, home of the largest collection of ship models on the west coast. After three days at sea, and a six hour drive between me and the next time I'd be in the vicinity, obviously not a venue to be lightly passed up; but it was shortly before closing time, and I hadn't changed back into moderns. The ladies running the front desk absolutely did not know what to make of this apparition. They plainly thought me quite capable of commandeering one of their hulls and making off with it. (Though I was entirely well-behaved; didn't even get dirt or sweat on any of their glass cases.)

On the same trip, I dropped into the local drugstore/variety store for some CD-Rs (to take copies of the digital photos home with me after the shooting). The girl at the cash register looked distinctly quizzical, what with the anachronism between the purchase and purchaser. Alas, to my dying day I will regret lacking the quick wit for the obvious explanation for the CD-R's:

"...software pirate."

"...software pirate."

:lol:

I haven't gotten to go anyplace interesting in pirate clothes yet, aside from Halloween & pirate fest which don't count.

However, I had a very interesting stop at Walmart late one night, early one morning, after a Great Gatsby party in full Daisy Buchanan splendor. My favorite was the double take by the old man who probably thought I was a ghost from his past.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

:lol: I love these stories! I only wish we were sittin about a table sharin a drink over em! :lol: They are GREAT! keep em coming! You have all inspired me to getout there and garner some odd looks for meself! :lol:

Having been into living history for more than 18 years in different periods, I have a bookful of such encounters. mostly though, I am often mistaken for a Pyrate when decked out in colonial garb. I am quite well known in this area for showing up at the Wal-Mart, grocery stores and gas stations in some period from F&I to ACW. It always gets a look or an AARRGH from someone. I have been working on seamans garb from the colonial period. Privateers from the RevWar and 1812 era are closer to my area of knowlege at present. But coming here to the Pub, I am learning what I need to know to move back to GAoP in the near future.

My favorite was in 05 when I brought a roadkill deer to my camp at a public Heritage Festival and went to skinning and cooking it. The directors had a cow, but I prevailed. The public were suprisingly receptive. Hey, it was them that said they wanted authentic interpreters! :)

However, I had a very interesting stop at Walmart late one night, early one morning, after a Great Gatsby party in full Daisy Buchanan splendor. My favorite was the double take by the old man who probably thought I was a ghost from his past.

Chole,

I'm so JEALOUS!!!! I wanna reenact the Gatsby period. :)

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Airports are no fun... done that with Wild West...

Wild West... doh!

Ok, like many of you, I've been in plenty of places in some sort of historically (and even scifi) inspired attire... one thing comes to mind that makes me cringe... we were doing an Old West and I was wearing a drover's coat with a couple pockets. It was lunchtime, so we headed into the main part of town to get food. But I needed to stop at a bank to get money, and the ATM was broken so I walked in... Yes, you can see where this is going, can't you.

;)

Ok, it wasn't all that bad. I had left the .45s back in camp. All I had on me was a Sharps 4-barrel pocket pistol.

Doh!

;)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• 1 month later...

Bumpin this as RF 2 is this weekend..Hopin fer some more good stories!

I've been wearing my slops contract jacket as my everyday winter jacket.... But when I went to play Pyrate, it just didn't seem like "dressing-up"... dang... all I did was change my trousers and shirt.......

I made a new jacket (Brown wool, like a Confederate Uniform jacket)... nice and warm.... and now I can save my Pyrate jacket for special occasions....like being a Pyrate.....

We did a fund raiser fer Make-A-Wish in our garb, tryin' t' get folks t' make a donation.

We used our pirate ways, t' get them t' line up fer free ice cream (fer a donation).

It was the most fun I've had as a pirate. The pub's own Iron Bess an Red Maria, were there too!

• 4 weeks later...

Years ago, while dressed in complete pirate kit, I strolled into the neighborhood liquor store. My choice of sword at the time was a very long Polish karabela (a type of cavalry sabre). The guys who ran the store were sikhs. I wondered what their take would be, a guy wearing a sword coming into their store. Knowing something about the Five Ks I figured they'd have a completely different outlook than dude who runs the other liqour store. And I was right. They thought it was really cool. After some smiles and nods the one fellow said to me, "in my village, every man wore a sword just like that."

My Home on the Web

a few years ago just before i retired from consulting i was heading to the maryland ren faire just below annapolis maryland but on the way i have to drop by a little place in the DC area to deliver a report to the navy ....yeah you guessed it i was in full kit ...needless to say the guards of the DOD have little to no sense of humour .... ..they were sure my clearance credentials were forged ........

but surprisingly the admiral i was to see there thought it was a hoot!!! :huh::huh::huh:

:huh: Annapolis... reminds me of a story... a story from when there was a room for a sense of humor.

My captain in the First Maryland Regiment, a Naval Academy graduate, was leading us in the Fourth of July parade in Annapolis. As we approached the gate to the Academy he turns to me and he says, "back when I was a midshipman I always dreamed about coming back here one day and..."

Yes, he ordered us to fire a volley at the gate guard. They seemed mildly amused. Of course, he was thrilled beyond belief.

Actually, there's a better part to that story... but this one and the one I am thinking of are more "reenacting stories" than "being out of place in your kit" stories. And neither are pirate stories, so I will leave it at that.

My Home on the Web

Where have you wound up while on your way to a reenactment, festival, fair, party, whatnot.... dressed in all yer spledour?

Well, I suppose I can't really call it "winding up" since we went on purpose that way, but my crew and I donned our best for the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, and invaded the AMC 22 in Pineville, NC. Afterward, we had lunch and ale at Sir Edmund Halley's Pub, the local ex-pat hangout. We were such a hit, the restaurant manager asked us to join a birthday party in another room.

Naturally, when Dead Man's Chest was released, we did it again. The theater let us stand around in the lobby for a while prior, for folks to snap pictures.

Mad Kestrel

Privateer #9, IFoRP

Captain of the Thanos (Fairhaven, CRF)

But why is the rum gone? - Capt Jack Sparrow

yeah the penagon doesn't like to see folks in strange kit/costumes coming through their doors :D:D:D

can't figure out why :D:D:D

and the occasional state trooper when i stop to get coffee enroute to festivals ...one of the funniest was in the mens room standing next to a trooper in full kit .....he wanted to say something ...but that homophobe barrier stopped him from talking to me in the rest room :D:D:D