Period Pistol Holster

Sir Beachem Quick

Except... the existing pirate holsters recovered from the wreck of the Whydah are not like these.  The Whydah holsters cover the entire length of the pistol.

I was going to ask what the provanence for pistol holsters like this was. After all, belt hooks seem to be the preferred method for carrying pistols in a maritime context during this period of history, and in pictures from this time, they are nothing more than anonymous loops of leather on the cartrige box strap.

But, I guess that this answers my question.

Do you have any pictures of the Whydah holsters, BlackJohn?

Also, what size pistol were the holsters for? I suspect that belthooks were used on bigger pistols, whilst holsters were more suitable for smaller, Queen Anne type pistols. But this is just a supposition, so surviving holsters would help to support or disprove this theory.

http://www.piratebrethren.com/whydah/Whyda...h_Pistol_2.jpeg

That's one of the pics I have, kindly supplied to me by the folks at the Whydah. I should have some more somewhere, pics I took myself. If memory serves, this particular pistol is the one with the silk ribband wrapped around it. It's in a leather holster. And I believe the holster is lined with linen. I seem to recall they had at least one or two more sitting in tanks being preserved.

As you can see from the ruler, this is a decent sized pistol.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Thanks for that BlackJohn, very interesting.

It is a pity that there isn't more detail in the photograph.

From what I can make out, the construction is very similar to that of Cavalry saddle holsters from the same period. Is there any sort of belt loop on the back?

Are there any plans to publish an arceological report with line drawings? and if so, When?

So far, I have resisted the temptation to say

"Which Period?"

in reply to this thread.

Sadly, I cannon hold back any longer.

Greg aka GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

If we are talking about The Whydah, I would think that we would be circa 1717. At any rate, the Golden Age of Pyracy, ie the last decade of the 17th Century, and the first 20 years of the 18th Century would be a fair bet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bristol/content/artic...d_feature.shtml

Blackbeard's baldrick, 2nd photo in article

Wow, they had cameras during the Golden Age of Piracy!!! I had no idea!

:lol:

Again, what's the provenance of these? As fas as I'm concerned, they've just copied a bad pirate reenactor cliche.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I absolutely love how so many people claim Blackbeard as their own.....

Bristol claims him because he was born there

North Carolina claims him because he died there

Virginia Claims him because he lived there

he truly is a worldly pirate!

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

I want a correct one.

Me too. I think the closest to correct and the best (in my opinion) shown so far are the pommel holsters Story has posted. I wouldn't think it unfathomable to have such holsters (or at least one, which is probably what I will end up doing) attached to a baldric. Don't know if it was done, but they certainly would have had the baldric, as well as that type of holster available to them, so it seems reasonable at least, what with no real conclusive evidence as to how they were carried... :D

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)