The Boots We Wear (On Bucket Boots)

Pirate Petee

Basically, we've seen the "boots were worn 100 years before the GAoP" argument, along with the "boots were worn 100 years after the GAoP" argument, but so far nobody (even the boot fans) has managed to come up with anything even resembling a "boots were commonly worn at sea during the GAoP" argument.

Yup, it's basically a fictional invention (I hesitate to use the word "Hollywood" because I think it goes back to Howard Pyle in the 1880s).

So, if you want to be a "play-pirate" then by all means wear boots wih a clear conscience, but it you want to be an "authenti-pirate" then buy shoes - they're cheaper anyway...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for that other thread. I am glad that I wasn't doing incorrect research. I see that this is going to be a problem for me. Knowing the difference between the romance and the reality of our game. I would like to be in the reality of it.

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

Pussycat, Pussycat, where have you been

I've been to London, Now I'm Queen

Sitting pretty, I don't wear suits

And the Mice all call me --

Puss'N Boots

<_<

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

I love my bucket boots! That I cannot deny. And for the rum they contain, my boot flask won't lie! And when it comes to the Yuppies in their mundane drabbery, it'll be me and me rum what tolerates their company!

I drink to make the mundanes more interesting, no matter what I might say while sober.

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

I like - big boots - an I cannot lie

You other buggers can't deny rolleyes.gif

......OK, I'll shut up now laugh.gif

;);););)

When a tar walks in with an itty bitty fid and them big boots in yer face you get SPRUNG....like an animal! Wanna snort some snuff! Cuz ya notice them boots was Ruff!

(couldn't freestyle "historically innaccurate, lol"

newbannersigtar0db.gif

I like - big boots - an I cannot lie

You other buggers can't deny rolleyes.gif

......OK, I'll shut up now laugh.gif

:D:D;);)

When a tar walks in with an itty bitty fid and them big boots in yer face you get SPRUNG....like an animal! Wanna snort some snuff! Cuz ya notice them boots was Ruff!

(couldn't freestyle "historically innaccurate, lol"

;););):D;)

Classic !

• 2 weeks later...

I may do shoes eventually, but I have too much money tied up in my boots to just toss 'em out because they're not accurate to seafarers.....

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

Not accurate to land lubbers either for this period, Cpt. Alva. The fashion of wearing one's boots all the time went out after the English Civil War. In the GAoP, you really only see boots on men astride a horse. On the ground, it's shoes.

Personally, I LOVE a man in boots. :lol: Loved 'em since I first saw Errol Flynn swing from mast to mast wearing a pair. Loved 'em even more when Adam Ant danced around in 'em. But they aren't appropriate for the period. Period. End of statement.

But you don't have to justify your choices to anyone, Cpt. Wear what makes you happy! :huh:

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

forum20smiley20parrot.gif I Tend To Look At Boots Shoes Shirt Ect Ect As What Tis Practical Every Day Clothing, Boots R Bad News When On Board Ship Working Unless Hungry,Horse Riding Ya, Minimal Attire When Aloft, & Scary Full On Battle Dress To Intimadate Victims. I Love My Boots & Find Them Practical In Camp & Muddy Fields Feet Stay Dry,But On Ship Clumsy & a Hassard. Ed Is Right So Im Finking Of Being A Highway Man Horses Taste Better Than Boots.When Asked I Aways Report All Our Coments Bout Said Boots........ I Love Em. psmiley22.gif With A Sash On

:lol: From a public veiw Its The Telling Of The Times And History thats Important? The Life Actments are the tools to pass that on to others the look and feeling of days long gone and forgot,History dose forget somethings ie Boots. My Boy Sees Pirates and they help him understand and learn. Well Done To You All :lol: Its also fun to dress up

well, I do want a pair of shoes, and will eventually have them, I just can't afford 'em right now......

story of my life.....

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

[, Boots R Bad News When On Board Ship Working , Minimal Attire When Aloft, I Love My Boots & Find Them Practical In Camp & Muddy Fields Feet Stay Dry,But On Ship Clumsy & a Hassard.

I would think on wet masts even shoes would be dangerous (although if it's cold..) But wouldn't bare feet have been easier to climb with? How slippery were the soles of those original shoes?Didn't the salt water slopping over th deck at times make them fall apart? Myself, I like both the boots and shoes. Being female I love footwear, but I goes barefoot a lot! :lol:

I do agree with " Scary Full On Battle Dress To Intimadate Victims." WooHOo! :lol::lol:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I would think on wet masts even shoes would be dangerous (although if it's cold..) But wouldn't bare feet have been easier to climb with?

We've had this discussion a few times on here. The consensus among the sailors here is that one always wears shoes when climbing aloft - the ratlines bite into your feet in the most excruciating manner if you go bare foot.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Ahh good advice t be sure! Thanks...

Now on to th question of boots fact or fiction...

I know this is about 1820, but here is a painting called "mid shipman on half pay" note the boots to his right..interesting. There's shoes too ..Of course this could just be the artists interpretation given the other items there.

I doubt he would be sailing with that hat lol.

c-hunt-1825.jpg

are you baiting us?

:huh:

As you say, its more than 100 years out of date.

It would be like using a 1970s picture, complete with all the disco Paraphernalia, to guide you in your quest to re-enact the 1870s.

If you like boots and want to wear boots, then wear boots, by all means.

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Top boots like those shown were generally fashionable in 1820, and indeed we know that they were worn by young sea-officers at that time - apart from anything else there is a record of young middies in Nelson's time being advised against wearing boots because it made the surgeon's job more difficult if they got hit in the legs. BUT, boots were fashionable in 1805/1820 in a way that they were not in 1705/1720.

And just to rub salt in the wound, I can think of several pictures of seamen in top-hats at sea in that period... B)

With regards to this particular picture it's questionable whether the boots belong to the middie at all. He's depicted as being so down on his luck that he's working as a boot-black - he's even had to pawn his sextant to buy polish. I doubt the ladies' shoes next to the boots are his either...

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

yeah well I was up all night, I think my brain was on half pay....I know it's 100 years but I had read seamen never wore boots. That's the point I was getting at....

A top hat at sea? how would you keep it on in the wind? Strange

And what's up with the pants on th flagpole?

oh well glad you got a laugh.... :rolleyes:

Oh and THIS is a nice picture of a sea chest (since you mentioned it)

sc.jpg