My word

Fox

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's because all fiddlers are mad! :blink:

Oi?!?! bite yer tongue!!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Learning... my daughter does, my first officer does, his daughter does, our "governor" does... if we can't fight at an event, we sure will be able to keep everyone entertained eventually.... :huh:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 1 month later...

GRACIOUS! Check this saucy sailor out!

Image2.jpg:huh:

OH and BlackJohn, ye might enjoy this link

Historical paintings

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Funny. That looks like a woman to me. Woman's hat, woman's neckerchief, woman's hairstyle...

If you want to see some really NC-17 stuff from the period, Jenny, check out "Sex in Georgian England". Even tamer pictures, like Hogarth's, are quiet racy.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Oh.. I wasn't looking for NC-17 paintings :ph34r:

I just came across it looking at art and thought it was kind of amusing..

Now that you mention it... does look more like a woman...hmm

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

No, Jenny, I just meant that there are GAoP pictures of men fumbling beneath women's skirts. :huh: But I don't think this is one of them.

It's a 1740s picture of a sailor fumbling under women's skirts :huh: :)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Why's he got on a lady's hat then? B)

(Arguably, a sailor's jacket and kerchief could resemble a woman's when only partially seen. And it is awfully ugly for a woman...)

Kass, I think perhaps his hat has gone awry, and we are looking at the side of a cocked hat, a devilishly hard thing to draw well. I think he looks like a sailor with a large kerchief.

On a completely different note, the fellow in the middle has got his hose over his breeches. I wasn't totally convinced of that one.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Yes, but the picture is entitled "A Sailor's Adventure into the Straits of Merryland". And look at his slops. The hat is, I think, a backwards tricorn.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Is she Merry then? B)

Yeah, I know, guys. I'm just taking the piss. It's amazing how similar he looks to the ladies except that he's ugly.

I think they're all watching the midget dance behind the something-seller with the basket in the foreground.

And now for the "lady" in the back: her skirts seem a bit too high for propriety, and there seems to be a fellow behind her at close quarters (pun intended) who seems quite pleased with himself. She seems a bit surprised (pleased perhaps? 'tis a small picture) herself.

And a third couple at the far back. Busy street.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I thought that was the same guy in all those places. I took the picture as a timed progression of his "activities" in Merryland. B)

The woman at the back has her skirts raised a bit on her left, but the level of her skirts on the right is still within the parameters of propriety, especially for the working class. We, as reenactors, tend to wear our skirts far too long because we're deluded into the Victorian idea of "ankles are naughty bits". :)

I think the naughty ankles idea is probably pre-Victorian - just. Wasn't it William Cobbet who had 11 children but had never seen his wife's ankles?

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

I dunno. I only read the racy bits of history. Not the parts that don't involve people getting naked. B)

Perhaps he just never looked down?