My word

Fox

While looking for something completely different I came across this slightly post GAoP painting by Hogarth entitled "Chairing the Member"

Check out the chap front centre: baggy canvas slops, short blue jacket, cudgel handy... obviously a seaman. And look! He's got a wooden leg! Maybe he was a pirate! ;)

GBDcolorChairingTheMemberGBD.hogarth.jpg

(Now I'm wondering whether people noticed the red tricorn or the skull and cross bones gatepost first...)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this painting...such classic Hogarth. I had it as my wallpaper for awhile. All I can say for sure is that there are bound to be some bloody knuckles when that sailor and the guy in the white shirt get done wailing on each other with sticks. ;)

Thanks for sharing it Foxe, you've genuinely brightened my day.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

And there's even a monkey! ;)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I noticed the red tricorn first thing after the lovely blue coat. Everything else I had to hunt for.

Is that monkey riding a bear? Interesting picture indeed.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I was too busy looking for boots. :D:D:D Yeah, i've seen this one, never in such good quality, its awesome. Hows everyone doing. :D

Petee!!!! We miss you! :D:D:D

[Okay, I miss you. But I tend to be annoying and talk in that "Royal We" mode... :D ]

Okay, does it make me strange because I'm looking at the clothing on the servants taking food into their master's house on the left or that I'm interested in the two procuresses negotiating with the pretty girl up on the wall?

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

[Okay, I miss you. But I tend to be annoying and talk in that "Royal We" mode... :D ]

Okay, does it make me strange because I'm looking at the clothing on the servants taking food into their master's house on the left or that I'm interested in the two procuresses negotiating with the pretty girl up on the wall?

All that Empress talk is going to your head Habibi!!!

I would like to know what's up with the guy running around without his shirt? What's he interested in, in his hand??

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Okay, does it make me strange because I'm looking at the clothing on the servants taking food into their master's house on the left...

I was looking at those myself. Figured they were the caterers for the event! :lol:

Welcome back, Pete! Glad ta see your signature (it's still one of me favorites) and yerself among us again. :huh:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Okay, does it make me strange because I'm looking at the clothing on the servants taking food into their master's house on the left...

I was looking at those myself. Figured they were the caterers for the event! :lol:

Cute... :huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

You see, it was rather typical in upper class houses not to do the cooking in the house but in a separate cookhouse. So servants would have to bring it in to the main house for dinner.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Cute... :huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

You see, it was rather typical in upper class houses not to do the cooking in the house but in a separate cookhouse. So servants would have to bring it in to the main house for dinner.

Actually, I knew that, but was trying for a joke! :huh:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Silly me, Ransom. I wasn't trying to be pedantic. I just am by nature... :lol:

No worry, I'm just not a very good joke teller! :huh:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

In Antebellum America, the path between the external kitchen (cook house) and regular house was called the "Whisltler's Walk." Masters would insist that their slaves whistle a tune while carrying the food to prove that they were not sneaking eating any of it en route.

I would like to know what's up with the guy running around without his shirt? What's he interested in, in his hand??

Oddly enough, I believe he is quite specifically interested in his hand. You see, he is holding the first edition of "Ye Missives to Penthouse Forum," and has already started disrobing en route to the privvy.

Is that monkey riding a bear?/

Yes... it appears to be a Russian Dancing Bear. I suspect they escaped from a circus ... is the monkey carrying a set of boltcutters over his shoulder?

And does anyone else think that the flying white goose was an afterthought?

Since we are all pointing out our particular favorite aspects... I want that chair!

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

I'm also curious about the shield (?) at the bottom left, just under the shirtless bloke. There is a daggar laying on it. Is that a face depicted? Kinda looks like a demon face, but not clear enough to tell.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I guess I'm a dyed-in-the-wool farm girl--first thing I noticed was the pigs running in the street, and wondered why no one was tripping over them. ;)

No doubt someone eventually does. ;)

Good to see you, Petee and Jessie! ;)

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?