Smoking

Jack Roberts

That's okay, Kenneth. Everyone can have a gross-out moment. I wouldn't have moderated it in any other forum. It just wasn't "scholarly" enough for Captain Twill. B)

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

One of the guys in my group once posted some evidence for "rolling your own" cigarettes on our mail list. As I recall, it was French, and maybe around turn of the century.

As for snuff... did it this weekend. Great fun, snuff. And I've heard there's another way to partake, by putting it in the crook between thumb and forefinger.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

One of the guys in my group once posted some evidence for "rolling your own" cigarettes on our mail list. As I recall, it was French, and maybe around turn of the century.

The earlyst I could find on rolling you own, was the Mexicans in the 1840's.....(Fur Trade era..... way out of period) but they used corn husk instead of paper.... I've tired it...Ugh.... taste realy bad, but it works......

According to the Rizla company, they started producing rolling papers in 1660. This does not, of course, in any way make them widespread in the GAoP - in fact Rizla began producing paper in 1532, but it was 1736 before they actually bought a mill, so in the GAoP it must have been very much a cottage business.

John, have you tried compressing snuff into a bolus and sticking it under your top lip?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk