Smoking

Jack Roberts

Unfortunately I can't get the pic to load, but Leloir is known to have pictures of gentlemen partaking in the practice of snuff... VERY popular during the GAoP.... odds are I already have a copy of the illustration and if the gent is wearing a cloak and carrying a muff, he's taking snuff not smoking.

Certainly no cigarettes yet and so far only evidence that shows the Spanish had cigars other than certain tribes of Indians. There is another thread discussing cigars, which did not seem to make their way to England or the colonies until later in the 18th century... although if any one has other info showing the contrary please share...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

hows the Spanish had cigars other than certain tribes of Indians. There is another thread discussing cigars, which did not seem to make their way to England or the colonies until later in the 18th century... although if any one has other info showing the contrary please share...

Thats what I 've heard on this forum so far, but pyrates were attacking the Spainish. Could they have picked up a cigar from them perhaps? Just a thought. Would they just tear up the tobacco from a cigar and toss it in there pipe? I mean if pyrates were raiding their ships, I wonder if they might have picked smoked at least what was on board. Maybe? I dunno, just speculating here. (please no flaming, I'm just throwing out a theroy. :lol: ) What do you all think?

It amazes me that Pirate Pete knows so much about tokin'

Now I know how he gets all his boot theories

:D

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Thats what I 've heard on this forum so far, but pyrates were attacking the Spainish. Could they have picked up a cigar from them perhaps? Just a thought. Would they just tear up the tobacco from a cigar and toss it in there pipe? I mean if pyrates were raiding their ships, I wonder if they might have picked smoked at least what was on board. Maybe? I dunno, just speculating here. (please no flaming, I'm just throwing out a theroy. :D ) What do you all think?

not to fret... no one will go off on you... :D honestly, I don't know if stealing a box of cigars falls into the same category as "I stole this wonderfully smart clothing off of a dead pyrate!" :D:D

Aye Greg, you maybe right there... maybe that IS where Pete gets his boots dream... I mean theories from! :D

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

He's picking his nose. In his right hand he holds a "booger box."

No, wait -- he's flossing his teeth!

But seriously, I need to find the picture of raiding the South American tobacco farm, and I recall having a resource with a date regarding cigar smoking by Europeans in the Americas. But I previously read the "Smoking" thread, and do not recall that I have any new information that is not already in there...

And... um.... I gotta agree with Petee, if that's not snuff, that's a joint.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

not to fret... no one will go off on you... ;) honestly, I don't know if stealing a box of cigars falls into the same category as "I stole this wonderfully smart clothing off of a dead pyrate!" ;);)

LOL... Well you see, he was really a nobleman who wanted to be a pyrate.

NOAH: Wow... the whole world flooded in just less than a month, and us the only survivors! Hey... is that another... do you see another boat out there? Wait a minute... is that a... that's... are you seeing a skull and crossbones on that flag?

Ministry of Petty Offenses

I think what people are seeing as a cigarette is his finger. It's exactly how someone holds their fingers when they're doing snuff.

But the joint jokes were funnier! :P

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

:)

Crewe of the Archangel

• 2 weeks later...

I found this info....what do ye think?

Origin: The smoking lamp probably came into use during the 16th Century when seamen began smoking on board vessels. The lamp was used to light the smoke before matches were invented.

The smoking lamp was also a safety measure. It was devised mainly to keep the fire hazard away from highly combustible woodwork and gunpowder.

Most navies established regulations restricting smoking to certain areas on board. Usually, the lamp was located in the forecastle or the area directly surrounding the galley indicting that smoking was permitted in this area.

Even after the invention of matches in the 1830s, the lamp was an item of convenience to the smoker. When particularly hazardous operations or work required that smoking be curtailed, the unlighted lamp relayed the message.

"The smoking lamp is lighted" or "the smoking lamp is out" were expressions indicating that smoking was permitted or forbidden. The smoking lamp has survived only as a figure of speech. When the officer of the deck says "the smoking lamp is out" before drills, refueling or taking ammunition, that is the Navy's way of saying "cease smoking."

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• 2 weeks later...
I found this info....what do ye think?

Origin: The smoking lamp probably came into use during the 16th Century when seamen began smoking on board vessels. The lamp was used to light the smoke before matches were invented.

The smoking lamp was also a safety measure. It was devised mainly to keep the fire hazard away from highly combustible woodwork and gunpowder.

Most navies established regulations restricting smoking to certain areas on board. Usually, the lamp was located in the forecastle or the area directly surrounding the galley indicting that smoking was permitted in this area.

Even after the invention of matches in the 1830s, the lamp was an item of convenience to the smoker. When particularly hazardous operations or work required that smoking be curtailed, the unlighted lamp relayed the message.

"The smoking lamp is lighted" or "the smoking lamp is out" were expressions indicating that smoking was permitted or forbidden. The smoking lamp has survived only as a figure of speech. When the officer of the deck says "the smoking lamp is out" before drills, refueling or taking ammunition, that is the Navy's way of saying "cease smoking."

This term is still used in the US Naval Services (Navy/USMC) today.

As a Marine that has only been "out" for about 8 years now, I recall that term being used EVERY TIME the OIC/NCOIC allowed for a cigarette break, only they used "The smoking lamp is lit." This was even one of the many naval terms that were drilled into us in boot camp.

One benefit of service in the Marines you get to take with you: learning quite a bit about naval terms, history, traditions, and customs.

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...