Spyglass

capnwilliam

A time or two during the "pirate's kit" discussion, mates have mentioned having spyglasses. Now, these are vey nautical and pyratical, great props, and they can come in handy!

Does anyone know when they first came into use?

Can anyone recommend a source for a good, usable, period (18th -early 19th century) spyglass? :rolleyes:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Found this in Encarta® 99: "In early 1609 Galileo heard that a spyglass had been invented in Holland."

I've seen them in antique shops - REALLY expensive. But I believe Authentic Models offers one...you might want to try there for starters...

das

EDIT: Nope - just checked AM site - didn't see any spyglasses...I gotta figure out where I got one of mine...

Pirate Collectibles - Solid Brass Telescope

Replica 17th Century 4 sleeve 18" adjustable pirate style telescope with working optics.

Sug. Retail: $69.00

Our Price: $66.93

just found the above at http://www.lovethosegifts.com/level.itml/icOid/5129

as stated don't know anything about them but since ya asked bout it thought I would do a quick search for ya and found the site....if ya interested check out the Allenbeys.com - Replica Pirate site. The other stuff looks good too!

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Now Captn as fer as ta discovery and usage might I suggest the ya lookin up the followin.....

http://www.maryrose.org/lcity/pilot/tnotes.htm

Article on Tudor Navigation and Seamanship

www.cedex.es/cehopu/expomanila...

Article entitled “Sailing On and On” good information and lots of pictures of actual navigational instruments used in the 18th century. Page four of the article….however the entire article contains lots of interesting information.

www.gard.no/Publications/GardN...

In a series of two articles, Gard News looks at European shipping in the 15th and 16th centuries. The first article in the series deals with navigation. The second will describe life on board.

Just thought I would pass these on to ya. Hope ta help a bit. :huh:

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

hey what ever works and me dad always said... :huh:

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

Walmart and Cracker Barrel sell brass spyglasses for $12-20. They're not the gigantic telescopes. They're only about 12-16" long. They collapse, and some of them come with little pouches to carry them in.

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Aye, Pirata, Cracker Barrel is me crew's favorite eatin' house when we launch the vessel down the interstate treasure routes in search of plunder.

Good provisions, they have.

But, before an honest seafarer' can make it to his table, he has to pass the pillaged wares they have fer sale; and it takes a strong-willed seaman indeed, to be able to resist purchasin' somethin' that he never knew existed before, but now knows he can't live without! B)

I believe that I have seen small telescopes there fer sale.

Truth to tell, I'm generally good about resistin' piratical / nautical souvenir stuff that doesn't look like really authentic kit; it'd be plunder like a period-looking boarding axe or cutlass that forces me to "retreat or succumb" (to buying!)

B)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Aye, El Pirata. It does seem to be a very odd place to purchase plunder, indeed. But, it can be done. If yer just looking for a simple spyglass or a snazzy birthday card.

I got my dad and mom birthday cards from the years in which they were born. It told how much things were and what cars/songs/etc were popular in those years. Pretty cool. I also bought my dad a mug. He was born in '43, so that cup had some pretty nifty designs on it, due to the war and all.

Cracker Barrel also sells awesome coffee...for us Java Pirates out there who need a good caffeine kick in the pants to get us going in the morning after a long night of plundering and other such sordid affairs.

:lol:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."