Cannon

Here be me latest cannon, small, aye, but she'll bring down a fourth rater in a pinch. :blink:

Whiped together from ABS and styrofoam, a spot of paint and her we are.

I've 3 more larger versions without the carriage for the ship, all firable with a small BP charge for flash and smoke. I've tested them and made me neighbors right p****d.

Feel free to let me know if you have any ideas or comments.

http://img485.imageshack.us/my.php?image=c...annon001py2.jpg

I dunno mate, I've seen a cast iron cannon rip apart at the breech from firing too much BP or from wear an tear ( i never found out which) .

I personally would not be firing ANY cannon made from ABS and styrofoam.

Hope ye have a LOT of insurance!

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

I understand what you are saying, however I know what I'm doing and the charges are very, very, very small. There is literally no compression or explosive force, simply a small flash and a directed billow of smoke. I have carefully tested all the abs cannons I've built and they are safe enough to hold in ones hands as it fires. :lol:

Has there been a pirate Darwin yet? This could be a first!

Having said that, how much damage is a styrofoam cannon going to do when it blows up?

I built my first cannon from an asbestos pipe when I was about 10 - now THAT was wrong in so many ways! :lol:

elizgun.jpg

gun3.jpg

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

You are welcome to your opinions but please base them on some experience and education.

OK, Hows this- I've been shooting blackpowder cannon for over 20 years. I'm a safety officer in two different organisations, I work with a number of museums and I am or have been involved with 7 major re-enactment organisations. I study modern methods and period techniques, have a huge library of artillery books, and am consulted by a number of groups.

I would not permit this gun on any line or at any muster where I had anything to say about it, or any influence with the organisers.

The problem is more than just about the immediate safety of the gun crew and nearby spectators. If it breaches, or chucks part of itself downrange, and anyone even *thinks* they've been hurt, the lawyers and the media will get involved. The headlines will read "homemade cannon self destucts" and every one of us who works with real cannon will be tarred with the same brush and impacted by the action.

I'm sorry that you feel this is raining on your parade, but I feel it neccesary to stand up for all the artillerists of all periods who take this activity very seriously and hold to the greatest standards of safety.

Hawkyns

Master Gunner

B)

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Okay, laugh at my expense all you care to. I say again that there is NO explosive charge just a VERY small smoke effect. Modern BP is very slow burning as as such needs confinement and resistance to create pressure as it ignites. The expanding gasses being restricted by the container, whether it be a thick paper tube or metal pipe, it is the buildup of pressure withinn the device that creates and multiplies the explosive force. A very small amount of BP, such as 1/2 teaspoon, loosely contained, in this case by loosely folded alum foil and a single peice of duct tape has only a theatrical smoke effect and no explosive pressure.

I must admit that I am surprised by the insulting tone of your posts and saddened that you would assume that I am a total idiot. I just wanted to share what I thought was a fun and funky little "piratical" project and I will be sure not to make the same mistake again. This has not been an enjoyable experience. I thought this was a forum to share interests, information and experiences, but to do it in a fun, respectful way.

I'm sorry you think I'm stupid enough to blow off my own hand or arm, but I am glad you were able to derive some entertainment out of it.

Avast there, mate!...I'm in wit' Hawkyns on this one....There isn't much need to get snotty over your posts,but...perhaps since you claim to be intelligent and reseach-full, then a little research on this forum might yield some light...I'm no 'emperor',but I most likely fire more cannon loads of black powder than almost anyone you can survey. By owning an actual, sailing, six cannon privateer travelling all around the U.S. and Canada (we're enroute to the Battle of Plattsburgh and the Crown Point Historic Site as I type), I am scrutinized weekly by local CG entities as we travel port to port, along with the likes of the Lady Washington, Hawaiian Chieftain, Privateer Lynx, Californian, Brig Niagra, Pride of Baltimore II, etc., and our ' Standard Operating Procedures' are up to snuff. to even promote such silliness as your plastic rig, all I can say is..Horsepuckey, maytee!....Serious users of BP also frequent this forum, so give us a break too, eh??......

PR2.jpg

B)

I bow to your experience and know-how. I am sure you, as well as many others here have much more practical experience with genuine cannon. My plastic sillyness as you dubbed it, is just that, a silly halloween prop built to look good in dim light and help set the mood for the much larger 18' ship mock up. it was never intended as a functional cannon other than the smoke effect. I do understand that those of you who are familiar with ballistic materials feel you have a responsibility to discourage haphazard and careless use of any dangerous or potentially explosive items. Right enough. I am simply surprised by the flippant tone and snide comments by some here. I too have some considerable expeience with weapons but in my case it was Glocks, AR-15's 12 ga, baton, taser, OC, etc. but no cannon.

I just wanted to share a cosmetic mock cannon that I thought looked pretty good considering the materials involved, with like minded folk. I think that I mis judged the level of commitment to accurate history members here have.

Hmmm...., ?

Been a while since I felt a post was worth posting.

Well then., No Black Powder is not slower today than it once was.

Modern imitation propellants are just faster., Glock and Ak stuff use whats called Smokeless powder., that is a faster ignition.

Black Powder is and always has been 75-15-10 in ratio to get that magic poof and boom we all love so well.

Waging War with Charcoal.,sulphur and nitrate has always been with those numbers in the mix. I think this is what got all the attention here. See once you mention the magic words "Black-Powder" People are expecting to see Steel and Bronze ! not ABS.

Bangsite and water.,would work and provide a nice boom for your prop. (Search Bangsite on Ebay....,its cheap) also hairsray like a potato gun will work.,but.........., once you use Black Powder you make people nervous. Many a prop have been made to go BOOM without Black-Powder. Save that one for your cannon whenyou do get one. Cannons are available for reasonable too ya know. Cannons are like Hot Rods.

See the faster you wanna go.., The more it costs. There is no replacement for displacement ....,this means * The more inches you got....,The better it feels*

ie: A bigger cannon costs more

A bigger bore (displacement)

A louder Boom (The better it fees)

All of this can still be achieved on a budget however., a 1" bore with still make a big boom with Black-Powder as a heavy steel barrel will safely fire a large load. If you need that extra Displacement (Bigger Boom) and dont want theadded weight., go with a mortar!

perhaps you might want to do a little research and get into a new toy., PM me if you want .,There are some good ways to go now a days.

The N-SSA has rules for cannon requirements for anything firing black powder.

Also there is a sort of code amongst machinists who make these weapons of war we so much long to own and play with.

Those rules would be a minimum wall thickness of at least that of the bore. There are many other rules to making cannon. THe reason the rules are in place is for example a cannon will OUT LIVE YOU ....,So when some one else come along to play with it...., not only do they not get hurt., but those around them are also safe.

To be quite honest I cant imagine an ABS pipe taking a black powder fizzle without wanting to burn thru it?

I dont believe anyone here is trying to humiliate you., Welcome to the board.., we are all pretty much humble here., Stick around there is alot to learn., these people on the forum have alot of knowledge that can make an enthusiats life alot easier.

Again Welcome to the forum., and the prop does look cool !

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

i think perhaps what the new mate is actually discribing is more a theatrical flash pot and yes black powder or goex in and uncontained vessel will give a flash and smoke with out the boom ....in essence it isn't really a cannon of any sorts just a visual and not audible gag like what would be done on stage since you can't have the concussion within the confines of a proscenium stage i have also in the past used a variation of his devise the sound effects person uses recorded cannon fire but the flash pot gives the visual

[QUO think perhaps what the new mate is actually discribing is more a theatrical flash pot and yes black powder or goex in and uncontained vessel will give a flash and smoke with out the boom ....in essence it isn't really a cannon of any sorts just a visual and not audible gag like what would be done on stage since you can't have the concussion within the confines of a proscenium stage i have also in the past used a variation of his devise the sound effects person uses recorded cannon fire but the flash pot gives the visual

TE]

EXACTLY! :)

That is the point I was trying to put across, Thanks, Gunner.

Well, mate, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure your intent, but..one must understand that potentially tons of very young readers also read this forum, so without bonafide disclaimers to such ideas, there might just be some enterprising youngster, who has some pvc in the basement,so..he takes some 'o dad's shotgun shells(hell, he won't miss a few), tries 'his' version of your idea (you said it was safe, afterall), and theoretically maims himself or worse. Like the idea of being the 'father' of such a plan??....The internet's a very strange place, and one should think a little before they type. For instance, you could have posted that you had a new idea for a theatrical cannon, and anyone interested should PM you. Then you have complete control of your 'intellectual property'...get my drift?.....Fair Winds, mate

:(

Sorry mate, have to agree with all the comments of the Royaliste and others here.

And then to add my own two dubloons...

I worked for many years as an apprentice pyrotechnics and fx field.

There are very many legal and not just dangerous but ILLEGAL methods of using theatrical flashpots.

In most states now hand lit flashes are illegal. The squib fired methods must now have "keyed" control panels. The only one with the key to unlock the firing mechanism is the one with the permit from the Fire Marshall.

Not sure where you are though and laws do vary...however most of them were put in place for the sake of safety.

If this is for a Halloween event (as it sounds) and at a home where others children will be or worse a public event, I would check the local ordinances first. You don't have to injure anybody to end up with a fine or in jail.

Just my humble advice. I no longer do that line of work because it became far too expensive to obtain said permits and the laws tightened up even further and I did not want the added expense of re-classifying.

So I moved into CGI fx and blow crap up virtually now! :blink:;)

• 2 weeks later...
Well, mate, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure your intent, but..one must understand that potentially tons of very young readers also read this forum, so without bonafide disclaimers to such ideas, there might just be some enterprising youngster, who has some pvc in the basement,so..he takes some 'o dad's shotgun shells(hell, he won't miss a few), tries 'his' version of your idea (you said it was safe, afterall), and theoretically maims himself or worse. Like the idea of being the 'father' of such a plan??....The internet's a very strange place, and one should think a little before they type. For instance, you could have posted that you had a new idea for a theatrical cannon, and anyone interested should PM you. Then you have complete control of your 'intellectual property'...get my drift?.....Fair Winds, mate

;)

Bless ye' dears, every year a few hundred tykes choke because some add depicts a food product being tossed in the air and caught in the actors mouth and the kiddies try it.

It seems innocent enough, but to the kids....potentially deadly.

Presented for examination, an example of unsupervised, over-enthusiastic bonehead kids and black powder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bt5tYFm368

I had to watch that video twice, because I didn't believe it the first time.

When I was that age, I did some things with explosions that I would now regard as pretty stupid, but at least I had the sense to put as much distance between myself and the resulting BANG!! as possible.

I don't know what is dumber, making a "Musket" out of plastic tube and toy gun parts, or posting a video of the results on the internet for all the world to see.

"Tall Paul" Adams.

Here we have some future Darwin Award winners. There is just so much wrong it's impossible to start. Their only hope is that their parents see this.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Hell even I'm crazy enough to like this idea. My dad even has some black powder from his shell reloading kit. I can get some plastic pipe from the junk yard out by my grandma's farm. So just how much powder do you suggest I use?

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

So just how much powder do you suggest I use?

I'd say about a pound.... that should do the trick..... ;)

And this years winner of the Darwin Award goes to all those little smouldering chunks O' meat scattered all over th' place.........

Dang... I hope no kids ARE reading this........ ;)

It has been said that there is a fool born every minute. Now, with the aid of the internet, we can reach more of them with more damn-fool ideas than ever before. The fact that there still are idiots out there willing to try this stuff must mean that they are reproducing faster than these stupid ideas can eliminate them. We must need more stupid explosive devices in order to raise the general IQ level for those of us smart enough to know that the correct ammount of powder to put in one of these things is absolutely none whatsoever...

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...