POTC 2

Redd Oktober

Would be a shame to include voodoo as it wasn't in practice until the late 18th century/early 19th century. I know Disney stretched the parameters of "The Golden Age of Piracy" a bit in the first movie....hope they don't stretch it even further now!

methinks that you, in me humble opinion, you might be a bit off in your timeframe...considering that "1502 is commonly cited as the offical entry of African slaves into Hispaniola. Uprooted from their villages and cities on the Gulf of Guinea, they were brought in to replace the island's vanishing Taino-Arawak, whom the Spanish had quickly dominated and enslaved. With them, the African brought their religion, Vodou, and the historical memory of home it sheltered and preserved."....quoted from Vodou...Visions and Voices of Haiti ...introductory chapter by Gerdes Fleurant....

Another good title to look at is "Santeria the Religion" by Migene Gonzalez-Wippler" and though just got the following they seem to be rather good also..."Afro-Ceole..Power, Opposition and Play in the Caribbean" By Richard D.E. Burton..."Piracy, Slavery and Redemption" Selected and Edited by Daniel J. Vitkus with an introduction by Nabil Matar...

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be kinda cool to do the day before thing as a plot. Kinda like young Jack and the Black Pearl. I do think if they did use this as a plot, unless it was well done, it would not fare as well as they hoped.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

Hmm....everything I've read online about voodoo origins suggest something more akin to the following:

Some Brief Notes on Voodoo's Historical Development

Bob Corbett

December, 1991

In James Leyburn's landmark work THE HAITIAN PEOPLE, he sketches the historical development of Voodoo.

* 1730-1790. The emergence of Voodoo. Gradual ascendancy of Dahomean form.

* 1790-1800. Revolutionary period. Voodoo, too, experienced growth and cohesion.

* 1800-1815. Voodoo was suppressed by three of Haiti's most famous rulers, Toussaint Louverture, Jean-Jacques Dessalines and Henry Christophe.

* 1815-1850. Quiet diffusion. Under Emperor Soulouque Voodoo became acceptable to the regime and emerged publicly.

* 1860-1945. Various periods of Roman Catholic suppression, culminating in an all out war against Voodoo in the 1940s. After the failure of this war the Roman Catholics have decreased their overt suppression of Voodoo.

* 1945 to present. Co-optation of Voodoo by the Duvalier movement and growth of America Fundamentalist Protestant challenge to Voodoo.

* 1975 to present. Re-emergence of Voodoo, especially in connection with the lwa, Ogoun, as a force in the peasant movement toward progressive reform in Haiti.

Who's to say? I like the idea of voodoo having fuzzy origins....that way I can utilize it in my pirate tales.

:)

newbannersigtar0db.gif

So just because it's listed in 1730 as emergine does not mean it might have been practiced earlier by some less known person who may have brought it to Haiti.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

Ah, I guess I'm sorta at a grey area about the use of voodoo in the sequel. Voodoo lore is fascinating, and would be very cool as a dramatic tool to enhance the creepy mood, but there is already an Aztec magic thang goin' on, and I just don't want to see a situation where each new movie brings on another magic gimmick. :ph34r:

One way I could see Voodoo working well in the sequel is if say, Jack knew a Voodoo shaman on some dirty island who could use his magic to counterattack Barbossa's Aztec curse or something.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Aye.. true.. true.. too much supernatural can be overbearing. I am curious as to what the writers will do with the sequel.

Not sure if they will continue with the cursed Aztec gold or not. Because of the monkey bit following the credits. The chest still intregues me.. as I have in a way... been 'studying' it.... silly I know.. but a good portion of it is familiar... especially Viracocha on the sides & all. & I do believe that it was the Plumed Serpent that decorated the lid as well. The skulls were arranged rather strangely.. almost like a hieroglyph of old civilization. As well as the design around Viracocha.. looked like a hieroglyphic bird. It seemed to be more a mix of Aztec, Mayan & Inca. But with Viracocha.. that's more Inca. As Jack said so well-

"That's interesting."

:: shrugs:: I guess.. depends on what other ghost stories or more are out there.

Anyone know of any other erie, ghostly haunting sea stories?

Maybe they will use a war like background in the sequel... Spaniards .. or the French... :: shrugs::

Huzzah!

:D

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!