What Do You Look For In A Mermaid?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/Lad...onegan/4043.jpg

this is a pattern I got to make a new more comfortable and easy to use fishtail. Now along with a new fishtail, it also stands to reason that this mermaid should have a new look right?

So what should the new look be? from fishtail color to the look of her more human half. I hope to wear this for next piratefest. My Mom dosen't have the time to make it this year because she has to have hip surgery, and I have to ask permission of the directors if they will allow a fantasy characters in the cast. Keep in mind that this is a family show, and that means NO TOPLESS MERMAID !

No, I really do not like the top of this costume.

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

No, you're right. The top is absolutely horrid. The tail is fine, but I think you could easily carry off stronger colours. Emerald for the tail, perhaps, and then carry the scale motif up into something like a camisole with a very bold, pyratey frock coat over the top of it, cut a bit more Bolero style. Lots of metallic braid and brass. A rakish hat with plumey feathers to finish the look. You'd be smashing.

Just an idea. :)

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

A rakish hat with plumey feathers to finish the look. You'd be smashing.

Just an idea. :)

What dose that mean "Rakish" I don't know the term

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

Hey Love, Green is beautiful, but with your coloring Id go for Scarlet or Teal. That would be lovely for you skin coloring and hair. Lots of sequins! For the top...Mayhaps a corset or bodice top made of the same material as your fins?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Hey Love, Green is beautiful, but with your coloring Id go for Scarlet or Teal. That would be lovely for you skin coloring and hair. Lots of sequins! For the top...Mayhaps a corset or bodice top made of the same material as your fins?

When I went to Handcock Fabrics (thats where I got the pattern) The teal didn't look so good. I'll try other places as well. Hey what about Colbolt blue? I've been told that is a great color on me too

Kendra2.jpg

---------

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

Mermaid in red.......sorry could't resist and I have nothing else useful to add so.....

P.S. No worries Kendra if you're wearing it it'll look great.

B)B) Awww thanks hitman for the compliment and now for the song stuck in my head

Kendra2.jpg

---------

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

NO TOPLESS MERMAID !

OH Darn... Nonthe less ...perhaps a pitch fork to keep the horny eyed swelling fish at bay as ye strut yar stuff!

mmmmmmm maybe Look at the mermaids in the Cove section of Ports of call for any other ideas -who knows..

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

rakish (adj):

1. marked by smartness in dress and manners

2. marked by a carefree unconventionality

For example:

barbosa-02.jpg

Ahh thank you for the clarification

Kendra2.jpg

---------

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/Lad...amermaid250.jpg

This is what I look like in my old tail, I know it is so not flatering (not because of the cool way it was made, btw thanks Joe! But because of me. I am considerin siren's suggestion of a birghter color more of a Carribean feel. All costumes patterns and colors have to be approved by the directors first. One of my friends voted for teal

Kendra2.jpg

---------

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

For the top...Mayhaps a corset or bodice top made of the same material as your fins?

Deeper colors would be very flattering with your dark hair. I like Siren's idea for the top, but I would suggest using a different color from your fins...you could say you aquired it from an unfortunate she-sailor/pirate/boat passenger.

I love my seashell bra, but I felt half naked in it! Probley not great for a family show.

Of course, shimmery (metallic sheen) fabric would be most fish-like. Who suggested cobalt blue? I think that might be a tad dark, but blue is a great color -- also silver-grey.

Another possibility, Orange, could give an Asian fish connotation... You could wear a silk Japanese jacket to complete the look... but perhaps you would look too coy. (Koi! That was a pun! Laugh now!)

Rogue Mermaid just poo-poohed the seashell bra, which I was going to suggest. There was a mermaid situated inside the front gate of this past weekend's Bristol Renaissance Faire wearing just such an upper garment... I got a picture of myself with her (I made quite a few "hook" jokes) -- I will try to post a photo here. Perhaps it will give you ideas. If a real seashell bra is too risque, you can always custom make a fake seashell bra of generous coverage capability.

Another possibility (probably a bad idea, but this may again give you a better idea) is to wear a nude-colored top (i.e. leotard), with ample hair "extentions" very strategically sewn into place, giving the mistaken impression that you are wearing nothing at all.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

For the top...Mayhaps a corset or bodice top made of the same material as your fins?

Deeper colors would be very flattering with your dark hair. I like Siren's idea for the top, but I would suggest using a different color from your fins...you could say you aquired it from an unfortunate she-sailor/pirate/boat passenger.

I love my seashell bra, but I felt half naked in it! Probley not great for a family show.

Yes!! I have lots of pirate shirts includin the one in the "IN YOUR GARB" section.

I LOVE IT!

BTW :huh: *whispers* I too have the sea shell bra NEVER HAD THE BODY OR THE COURAGE!

A very wise person once told me with some articals of clothing it is not a right it is a privilage!

Kendra2.jpg

---------

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

I would definately go with a more saturated color. The paler colors tend to make the fair-skinned (like us) appear washed out. The cooler colors in the green to purple range tend to be associated more with mermaids - prehaps its the water factor. Going orange/red would definately look bold. Whichever you choose, I think it should have some shimmer to it. Here are some colors I thought might look nice.

image012.jpg

PurpleRed.jpg

mango_shimmer.jpg

bunnyssignature3.jpg

95c87449.jpg

Here she is! Hooked her at the Faire, but I had to throw her back.

How pretty she is I can see why you reeled her in! :P

Kendra2.jpg

---------

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

Don't get me wrong Capt' Straw...I love my shell top and would never poo-poo the idea of wearing one! I was just concerned about the family aspect of the event. However, Renn Faire's are fairly (no pun intended) family friendly...and Ariel wore one in The Little Mermaid so prehaps shell bras are perfectly family friendly :lol:

That orange red fabric that Blue Mermaid posted is awesome. I was lucky enough to get my fin fabric on clearance at Jo Ann's fabrics. It's a very very thin fleece in emerald green with gold flecks all over it. I was iffy about using fleece, but it's so thin that you can't even tell. Try hitting the clearance fabrics, you never know what you'll find!

Try hitting the clearance fabrics, you never know what you'll find!

Oh, yes I do!

I rarely go looking for fabric without coupons in hand or clearance sales in mind. I scored a pirate's bounty of cloth at a fraction of the cost when all the local JoAnne Fabrics stores were consolidating for a re-opening of a major new store two years ago, and saved over $200 on their 99c pattern sale. More recently, I saved a ton of money using a "40% off 1 cut of fabric" coupon (6.5 yards!) in making my Pirate coat (seen in the mermaid pic above).

BTW, the aforementioned (and pictured) mermaid's tail consisted of individual scales.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Definatly something with a metalic shimmer, or look. A deep ocean green with silver?

Although, I kinda like the Japaneese Koi look, just 'cause it would be so different. I have Koi, and they come in awesome colors that would look super on any mermaid.

Be sure and post a picture when you're finished and wearing your new "skin". :)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog