Pirates of the Plain

hurricane

If any of you have kiddies or are kiddies yourselves, my son is watching Pirates of the Plain (1999) for the third time in two days. It's a fun yarn starring Tim Curry as Jezebel Jack. It's a pretty funny movie with some good piratical lines in it. And you'll finally know how well a chainsaw fairs against cutlasses. Hey, it's a yarn.

Got it from Netflix on rental. Worth the time and Tim was born to be a pirate.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

A very good film, indeed.

This movie was available on Comcast On Demand (for free to Comcast cable users), so I watched it and taped it. (For all I know it is still available on Comcast On Demand)

Then I whipped out the tape one night when we could not agree on a family movie to watch. Everyone loved it. This is one good, enjoyable family movie -- and it's got a pirate theme! What could be better? The only movie I could compare it to is Flight of the Navigator; they have the same feeling of adventure mixed with fantasy.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

I dont know if ye can call Pirates of the Plain one of the best of the pirate flicks, but Tim Currey does have that roll down pat. Its like a part he was born to play. Another good family oriented pirate movie is Muppet Treasure Island, once again it has Tim Currey doin wat he does best.

• 10 months later...

Finally got this off my NetFlix list after putting it on there based on hurricane's original post.

Subtle, it ain't.

Fortunately, Curry is perfectly cast and the rest of the actors play the silliness straight - making it quite watchable. It's basically an extension of Curry's role as Long John Silver. It was more violent than I might have expected (although not really much more violent than most prime time TV.) And there are some pretty funny lines in there.

Curiously, they never explained what became of the loan agent foreclosing on the house. I thought he'd be in the chest that the pirates took. I guess old Jezebel Jack ran him through...or maybe he just let him go when he had his sudden personal revelation. I suppose it doesn't matter, although it leaves that subplot sort of hanging.

Grandpa and Jezebel Jack would make fine role models to an eight year old kid with an active imagination. (Plus I now know that Captain Jack wasn't the first pirate to sail his ship on land. I wonder if this is what gave them the kernel of the idea?)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Get it from Netflix. You can get "unlimited" rentals for $10 a month, so your $67 would buy 6 months worth of the service and leave you $7 for popcorn. (Note: "Unlimited" is sort of a misnomer as a standalone word as used. You can have one movie at a time at your house for this price and they send you the next movie when your return the one you have. However their turnaround for me is usually 2-3 business days after sending them a movie so it works out to be 4-7 movies a month, depending on how long I keep them. A heckuva lot cheaper than Walletbuster.)

They have a huge library of titles - bigger than any rental place. Try it out for a month and you'll probably be hooked. [/adcopy off B) ] (Duchess got me hooked on it, so this is all her fault.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

I hadn't heard of this movie so I went to amazon to check it out... must be pretty rare on DVD, only available used and the cheapest is $67.00, VHS starting at $1.54, guess I'll have to dust off the VCR.

Don't forget Ebay, mates! I just bought a new DVD(still factory sealed, according to description) of Pirates of the Plain for $6.75. Shipping was another 6 bucks, but at $13.75, that's still less than I would expect to pay for a new DVD in a store.

There were a few more available for comparable prices. I know Ebay is always buyer beware, but by carefully reading descriptions for any irregularities, I've always had pretty good luck.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

There were a few more available for comparable prices. I know Ebay is always buyer beware, but by carefully reading descriptions for any irregularities, I've always had pretty good luck.

I second that. Even when I didn't get the product, PayPal reimbursed me. I've purchased a lot of stuff of eBay and usually been quite happy. (Including the soundtrack for Muppet Treasure Island for a fairly reasonable price. It's ususally absurdly expensive.)