POTC:DMC Soundtrack

Caraccioli

...the Kraken seems to further personify the rage and anger of afore mentioned Davey Jones.

They're linked, Master and beast, so it would only make sense that bits of Jones' Personality would be personified in the terrible beastie that he alone controls.

If that's true, it's makes much more sense. Didn't they call the thing by beating on the side of the ship or something, though? It seemed a tenuous link to me when I saw the movie. As if the Kraken was somehow beholden to Jones, but not necessarily an integral part of him. Like the devil granted him the favor of an enforcer or something.

If they had used the organ music in both pieces, the link would have been much clearer (from a musical perspective). It's an interesting point.

Also, go see the film again, and listen closely, Kraken's track is used whenever Jones' or his crew are doing something generally nasty. [that being whenever they appear on screen]

The point about the track is true. (As for seeing it again, I paid to see it once. I don't think it's worth paying to see twice. I'll get it off Netflix when it's released.)

Thats the way it works with film, reoccuring themes to help set the mood, that in essence is what a soundtrack is meant for, not only to drive the scene, but make it sunconciously recognizable as a "threat" to the audience and to give the film more depth.

Yes, it's called leitmotif. This is why I was complaining about the use of the medallian music in this movie. It violates the basic principle of leitmotif. I think Zimmer uses the leitmotif concept when it's convenient, but doesn't strictly adhere to it. That's a lazy approach to composition IMO.

Oh also its very hard to find a soundtrack these days that hasn't borrowed music in some fashion, even if they are just in the credits, take Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgandy, or There's Something About Mary for instance, the soundtrack is nothing but borrowed music.

Of course there are those that are original, such as John William's Scores or James Newton Howard, but as you said its easy to pick out which peices are theirs as they have a generally noticable style, so in essence they're borrowing from themselves, which is still borrowing mind you.

I think for the most part, borrowing from yourself is really as much an example of style as anything. I expect certain composers to be a cut above borrowing from other people, though. Zimmer is renowned enough to be one of them.

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of movies I have seen, I've felt John Williams has done an awesome job of taking parts of his previous scores (Star Wars: ANH and Superman as examples) and sneaking them in to sequels.  He blends them in seamlessly, and for me, when I hear those familiar parts, I get goosebumps.

Williams is definitely a master composer. The soundtrack industry would not be where it is today without him.

As for re-using your old scores...my favorite example is the use of the Rambo music by Jerry Goldsmith in his composition for Gremlins II. :rolleyes: Goldsmith is a great study - many of his soundtracks sound nothing like his other work. He's another master composer, although not quite as celebrated as Williams. (He was a composer before it was cool. ;) )

"Am I not?"

Out of movies I have seen, I've felt John Williams has done an awesome job of taking parts of his previous scores (Star Wars: ANH and Superman as examples) and sneaking them in to sequels.  He blends them in seamlessly, and for me, when I hear those familiar parts, I get goosebumps.

Williams is definitely a master composer. The soundtrack industry would not be where it is today without him.

As for re-using your old scores...my favorite example is the use of the Rambo music by Jerry Goldsmith in his composition for Gremlins II. :rolleyes: Goldsmith is a great study - many of his soundtracks sound nothing like his other work. He's another master composer, although not quite as celebrated as Williams. (He was a composer before it was cool. ;) )

I agree on Goldsmith. The films he's composed for have varied too, which I'm sure helped a bit. But he's definately one of the greats.

Brief off topic pause - Have any of you heard the original score from Legend?

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

One of the things I found really enjoyably funny about the Tortuga barfight was Jack roaming about the place looking for a replacement hat, all the while being narrowly missed by flung drinks, bodies, furniture, etc. Much like Cyrano Jones in "The Trouble With Tribbles".

Ah-HA!!!

Thankyou... that's been driving me nuts since I watched the movie.... I knew it was familiar for a particular reason.. and that was it!

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

Someone had told me that the POTC music was very similar to the music Zimmer composed for Muppet's Treasure Island. The soundtrack is no longer available, but I decided to get the movie off Netflix and see. There is definitely a strong correlation. After hearing some of that music, there can be little doubt that Zimmer had a lot to do with the first movie's soundtrack. The similarities are unmistakeable.

On another note...This was the first time I had seen this movie. (I know, I know...) Does anyone else think that Jack Sparrow borrows more than a bit from Tim Curry's take on Long John Silver? (Curry is an absolute hoot! He makes this movie.) Maybe Tim Curry should be in POTC3 as Jack's dad rather than Keith Richards. :lol:

"Am I not?"

Someone had told me that the POTC music was very similar to the music Zimmer composed for Muppet's Treasure Island.

I am afraid that you have been misinformed. The Muppet Treasure Island OST and the POTC2 OST are very different from another and they have practically nothing in common.

Does anyone else think that Jack Sparrow borrows more than a bit from Tim Curry's take on Long John Silver?

Although Curry upstaged most of the Muppets in MTI, his performance does not remotely compare to Depp's in POTC (neither 1 nor 2). Curry played a very sinister and subliminally threatening Long John, while Depp's acting was light- footed and light- hearted, even in POTC2, where his character was more multi- layered than in part 1.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

I am afraid that you have been misinformed.

But nobody informed me. I came to my conclusions based on my observations. You can disagree with me (which you obviously do), but you could at least give some specifics of why you disagree.

The song in the opening seemed to have similarities in tone, rhythm and structure to one of the themes in the first movie. I also hear familiar overtones in the music in the middle.

Curry played a very sinister and subliminally threatening Long John, while Depp's acting was light- footed and light- hearted...

Curry played the most light-hearted version of sinister I've ever seen. I though he was hilarious, with more than a touch of a sly "this is all in fun" attitude. I found myself laughing out loud at some of his goofy grins. He was great. (The look on his face when Kermit popped all the buttons of his coat was priceless.)

"Am I not?"

But nobody infomed me.

Then you should not write

Someone had told me that the POTC music was very similar to the music Zimmer composed for Muppet's Treasure Island.
You can disagree with me (which you obviously do), but you could at least give some specifics of why you disagree.

Non sequitur.

It is not for me to point out why and where they differ, but for you to point out why and where they are alike, which you failed to do.

banner.jpg

But nobody infomed me.

Then you should not write

You can disagree with me (which you obviously do), but you could at least give some specifics of why you disagree.

Non sequitur.

From one perspective it is. However, you patched together two different posts to create this non-sequitur which is somewhat misleading. I did point it out in the second post, just for that reason. (I notice you ignored that part of my second post it in favor of restricting yourself to cutting apart my post in a manner that allowed you to do so.)

To explain this from my perspective (being the writer), the first sentence was an introduction as to why I had watched the movie. If I'm guilty of anything, it's not stating the point clearly enough for you to understand. But let's parse through the original post, shall we?

Taken alone, it supports your point. However, the next sentence...

The soundtrack is no longer available, but I decided to get the movie off Netflix and see.

...supports what I've just told you.

There is definitely a strong correlation.

...is the conclusion I draw from "get[ting] the movie off Netflix and see[ing]."

"Am I not?"

[..] the music Zimmer composed for Muppet's Treasure Island. The soundtrack is no longer available,[..]

Again, it seems as if you had been misinformed. You can buy the MTI soundtrack at amazon.

Yeah, I guess I didn't state this with complete accuracy. I knew I could get copies off the secondary market, but it's no longer commercially available from the primary market. ($36 is a lot to pay for a used soundtrack of which I had no knowledge. Thus I chose to rent the movie instead.)

Do you have it? If so, is it worth owning in your opinion? How much of it is pure instrumental and how much of it is vocal?

I enjoyed the music in the movie for the most part, but $36 + s/h for something I don't know much about seems awful risky. (This is particularly true if it's primarily vocals in my book. I prefer instrumental music for the most part.)

"Am I not?"

Do you have it? If so, is it worth owning in your opinion? How much of it is pure instrumental and how much of it is vocal?

First question: Of Course.

Second: Very much so.

Third: Out of the 17 titles, 8 are instrumental, 8 are vocal as sung by the actors/ Muppets and one is by John Berry as heard while the end credits are shown.

I listen to album every now and again, and I am sorry, but I can really find no similarities with the POTC2 album, not even in the title you mentioned ("Treasure Island") from the intro of the MTI movie.

banner.jpg

First question: Of Course.

Second: Very much so.

Third: Out of the 17 titles, 8 are instrumental, 8 are vocal as sung by the actors/ Muppets and one is by John Berry as heard while the end credits are shown.

I listen to album every now and again, and I am sorry, but I can really find no similarities with the POTC2 album, not even in the title you mentioned ("Treasure Island") from the intro of the MTI movie.

Really? Ohhhh, I hate to spend that much on a soundtrack, but you sound like you know what you're talking about. Perhaps when I hear it outside of the movie, I will agree with you. At least we'll be able to discuss it more intelligently.

"Am I not?"

If you are really looking for a probable progenitor of Captain Jack Sparrow, my money would be on Kurt Russell's Captain Ron anytime. Dreadlocks, same somnambulistic attitude, walks unscathed through the greatest calamities with a mixture of ignorant bliss and grandiose cockiness.

And, surprise, surprise: Captain Ron is a Disney movie, too.

banner.jpg

I'll second that about the Muppet Treasure Island soundtrack, I love it! It's a great cd, great music! I tend to play it a lot too.

Captain Ron is a great and funny movie, I own that one. Kurt Russell as Captain Ron is pretty damn sexy to watch! :lol:

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

If you want to buy the MTI soundtrack, then there are always offers for it on ebay. Question is, if you get it any cheaper there than at amazon. Other possibilities include garage sales or flea markets.

BTW: I made a mistake in my above post. It should read:

Out of the 17 titles, 8 are instrumental, 7 are vocal as sung by the actors/ Muppets, one is by Ziggy Marley and the other by John Berry as heard while the end credits are shown.

banner.jpg

If you want to buy the MTI soundtrack, then there are always offers for it on ebay. Question is, if you get it any cheaper there than at amazon. Other possibilities include garage sales or flea markets.

BTW: I made a mistake in my above post. It should read:

Out of the 17 titles, 8 are instrumental, 7 are vocal as sung by the actors/ Muppets, one is by Ziggy Marley and the other by John Berry as heard while the end credits are shown.

Even better.

I've got my eye on one on eBay. (Everyone else stay clear of my prey! :lol: Actually, looking into the completed sales thing, I expect it will cost about the same as the used stuff on Amazon give or take a few bucks. But I'll get a a happy comment on my account that way unless something untoward happens. (I've had to put stuff into Paypal's hands a couple of times...bloody pirates.)

Garage sales really aren't my territory. There's that creepy "prying into someone's life" vibe that I can never shake.)

I've never seen Captain Ron. I suppose I should add it to my rental list. In fact, I think I will...

"Am I not?"

Oh, come on! Prying into someone else's life is what we, as pyrates, are all about! Tag sales are a bit like a boarding action, where you relieve the owner of an item or items for a pittance of their actual value. And you part; no harm, no foul. Of course, of you really wish to be authentic, you could set fire to their house as you leave... :lol::huh:

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

Not to get OT...oh, hang it...To get OT, has anyone seen the series Dead Like Me? The girl becomes an undead reaper who still inhabits the earth in a new corporal form. She goes back to her old house to find her mom is selling her personal stuff at a yard sale. Creepy. I'm not much for garage sales.

Setting fire to the house...that might be different.

"$2 for this vase? Yarr!" *Whoosh*

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Well if anybody out there still doesn't have POTC1 soundtrack, Amazon is selling both the soundtracks of 1 and 2 at a great discount this summer, especially when paired together.

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

I am afraid that you have been misinformed. The Muppet Treasure Island OST and the POTC2 OST are very different from another and they have practically nothing in common.

Ya know...hearing it alone, I think you're right. They are very different. I still find some similarities between them, but not nearly as much as I had thought when watching the movie. The Muppets soundtrack has a little lighter touch. It is definitely distinct from the POTC soundtracks. Point to you, sir.

On another note, my iPod tells me that Jack Sparrow is my favorite song these days - it's at the top of the Top 25 Most Played, followed closely by Bad Dog No Biscuits from the Cowboy Bebop CD. (See the pattern? Me neither.)

"Am I not?"

• 3 weeks later...