The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

The clatter o' pans an the Spanish curses from the galley, told me I'd hav t' confront the new cook, sooner or later. The thirst fer coffee tempered my better judgement.

"Good mornin', Rosie." I said, as I entered the galley. "The smell o' yer coffee was irresistible." She smiled, turned an poured me a mug.

I glanced about the galley, which looked tidy an in order. She seemed too busy cooking t' take further notice o' me; or so I thought.

Movin' closer t' the stove, I started t' reach fer some bacon. 'Fore I could grab a slice, Rosie cracked me across the knuckles wit' a large wooden spoon. "No ahora!" she chastised me.

I retreated t' the main deck, wit' me mug o' coffee, t' wait fer the call for breakfast.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silkie stood leaning against a water barral as Jacky entered the galley and when he came out a mug of coffee in one hand while he rubbed the knuckels of his other hand against his thigh. Silkie Snickered at the man. "Capin, ya may run d'ship but det lass runs the galley ...yer a braver one den I ...Kent bring m'self t even enter in search uv coffee." Silkie laughed at herself.

I chuckled at Silkie's remark, "We best keep Rosie locked up in the galley, then. We wouldn't want her runnin' the rest o' the ship!"

I offered, the unusually timid Silkie me mug, which she accepted. As I walked back t' the stern, I mumbled, "Maybe I should promote Rosie t' first mate. She'd whip this crew in t' shape." With that, I wondered wot had become o' Roberts.

Taking the mug offered by Jacky Silkie gave the captain a smile and a wink in return. As he walked away she made note of his swagger and could see at least one reason Ransom found him appealing.

Without a thought Silkie found herself nearly silently singing an old song about too much rum and the daughter of the highest officer aboard the ship. Abruptly she stopped, she heard someone start to whistle with her tune. Raising her voice Silkie called out. "Ooever ye are doone go whistelin up a storm fer us!" The whistling stopped. Silkie continued quietly between sips of the hot coffee.

After the ship had changed course, I called the men to the foredeck and let them know exactly where we were going and why. When I'd finished, I asked, "Any man here familier with those waters?"

No one spoke up. Then, a bit hesitantly, the new man, Colard, stepped forward. "If'n it please, Ma'am, I've sailed inta that port. Oh, it's been a good while back, some seven years, but I dare say I'd remember. Nae much there, as I recall, and swampy. Had a wee bit o' trouble with fever and lost a few, but nae sae much more as any t'other place."

"Well, Mr. Dysart, I may call on your services when we get closer to port. If, in the meantime, you think of anything else I should know about the place, then come see me."

The old man knuckled his forehead. "I'll do that, Ma'am."

When the men had gone back to their duties, Africa commented, "Oh dat fine. You take us to a place of fever. If Dat Man don shoot you, you die sweatin' in your bed. We all die sweatin' in our beds."

I replied sweetly, "If you don't stop your whining, I'll shoot you where you stand, and you won't have to worry about dying of fever."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

The distictive call of a boatswain's whistle, could me heard, callin' the crew t' breakfast.

"Rosie, yer full o' surprises," said I. The crew was less intimidated by Rosie, then Silkie. Yet it was clear t' everyone that manners an certain protocols would be observed in the galley, now. Anyone who didn't follow the new rules would find themselves on the wrong end o' a heavy spoon, or worse a fryin' pan.

Our days at sea past quickly, despite the drama in the galley. The crew had settled in t' their routines an we counted the days by our calls t' sup.

After our twentieth meal, land was sighted. Aye, we would be in the port o' St. Jean, in time fer breakfast.

Holding out her trencher Silkie smiled politely to Rosie who returned a scowl as she slopped the days fare over the edge of the trencher onto Silkies hand. Silkie, nearly dropping the trencher for the heat of the food on her skin "Oi! Wotch! Det's ot! Silkie couldn't remember what it was that she had done to incur Rosie's wrath. "Wotere problem ya ave wit mae needs bae set aside now det yer crew. D'capin won't ave it! I'll steer clear uv ya ifin I can but ya needs t'bae civil wit mae er..." Silkie stopped with that. She wanted to tell the woman what she would face if Silkie had her way but reminded herself that she too needed to consider the ship, crew ...and captain. Silkie also wondered what Rosie was capable of.

The sound of the Bosun call woke ol' Nate and he rolled out of his hammock, stretched and shook all over. "Aye! Risen shine me boys!" Nate pulled on his jacket and gear and made his way topside and was directed to the galley. Nate stood in line rubbing sleep out of his eyes like many others. He heard loud shrieks in spanish ahead, it sounded like a womans voice. Some crew hustled out of the galley with various amounts of food and drink, some rubbed their heads, others their knuckles. His eyes shot skyward and Nate mumbled to himself. Nate got into the galley and there was a woman, a spanish woman to be sure serving out the meal with a scowl. When it was his turn Nate smiled and waited. She turned to him with a full ladle of porridge. Nate only had a tankard and was looking for the coffee when she dumped the slop into his tankard. "Wot ye doin? I was goin ta put coffee in there!" Up went the ladle and down it came on his head. Nate ducked a second swing and retreated out of the galley.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

I was sitting outside the galley door, when Nate exited the galley rubbing his head and sipping porridge from his tankard; it seemed no one had escaped the new cook's wrath. I wasn't sure if it was her lack of experience aboard ship, or the fact that she'd been sent to one against her will, that seemed to fuel her rage. But I felt obliged to give her a wide berth, for now.

Smithe came out of the galley with my food. "Here ye be, sire. She even gave ye a bit more, she did," he said. I smiled at Smithe, and I smiled at the wild cat in the galley. I caught her gaze for a second, and I believe she may have even smiled back.

"Thank you, Smithe." I said. "I've heard we should make landfall today." Smithe nodded as he wolfed down his breakfast. "A change of scenery wouldn't do us any harm," I said, as Silkie passed us; Smithe just snorted, in agreement, and continued slopping his food.

Despite Africa's grumbling, he made sure the Rakehell made good time. A brisk wind and calm seas helped. The only ship we saw was hull down on the horizon, heading east, and no threat to us. Late in the afternoon, we started seeing mud and debri in the water from the great delta, and gulls flying overhead, eyeing us with interest.

"We'll be in Port St. Jean by tomorrow," I commented to my Quartermaster. "I'm sure the Relentless is already there. Let's just hope Jacky wasn't followed by his friend Navarro, who I'm sure was none to happy about us leaving Havana so soon."

Africa huffed. "I don know why you keep hangin' 'round Dat Man. Trouble follow him wherever he go, den he get us mixed up in it. We been better off in da Carolinas, sellin' dis cargo. Bad enough we follow him to Havana, but no tellin' what happen when we get to da Tortugas. Dis ship do jus fine before you met Dat Man, and she'll do jus fine if you leave him be."

I rolled my eyes. "Oh please, don't start that rant again. Let's just wait and see. But," I gave him a serious look, "you know I would never risk losing the Rakehell. Never — and for no one."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Nate slurped up his porridge, hungry for more seeing as his tankard was only one ladle full of the stuff. He wanted to go back and get more, but he wasn't sure he wanted to face the new cook again this morning. Nate also was desperate for coffee. Giving a sour look to the heavens, Nate heaved a sigh and set his shoulders, heading back to the galley. Amidst some shouting and cursing, Nate returned topside with a full tankard of coffee mixed with the dregs of porridge and another knot on his head.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Red Cat was hungry. She'd thrown her consternation inta workin hard t' see they made haste away from Habana. Pullin on lines, teachin the greener crew here an there and postin lookout on many a fair day. Sometimes puttin yer ire t' work did double duty.

Cat sauntered up on deck wit a plate o bacon an dark bread in one hand an a steamin tankard in th other. Her hat pushed back an strands o' loose hair blowin about, she sang a jaunty shanty as she searched for a place t' sup.

Red Cat enjoyed the janglin o' bits o' things she wore here an there. A litlle jingly noise allus kept one company. She happened upon Nate who looked a sad sight wit a half mug o' lumpy coffee an rubbin his noggin.

"Ere wot's happened t' ye Mr. Durant?" She asked assuming he must have incurred the cursed wrath o Rosie. She stifled a chuckle picturin the scene, but felt bad, fer th man looked like a scolded puppy. He only squinted up at her an managed a grin.

CAt plopped down next t' him an held out th plate o' bacon an bread. She leaned in an winked an him speakin in a whisper. "Now ye be guardin me victuals here.." She set th tankard down as well. "Help yerself t' some an gimme tha " She grasped the mug o' slop he held. Grinning as madly as he was wont to at times, she stood and headed foreward. "I'll be back straightaway wit summat ye kin nourish yerself proper like" agin singin the shanty Cat dissapeared down th deck.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Nate watched Red CAt walk away from him, twer a fine site that. His grin slowly disappeared as his stomach growled, the small amount of porridge did not satisfy and the smell of the bacon on Red Cat's plate made his mouth water. No, 'ol Nate was not gonna have any o her food, even though she offered. But the smell was so, so good. Nate licked his lips and gave in. Taking one piece of bacon he held it up and inhaled the scent before taking a bite. "Oh, Father, tis heaven. . . . Ol' Nate'll take th wrath o th cook for more o this." He smiled and closed his eyes as he chewed the bacon, tossed the rest of the piece in his mouth and hummed out a sound of content.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Dillard had come back on deck, followed by Smithe, while I was at the helm. "Mister Dillard call all hands on deck an make ready t' sail in t' the sound, an find safe harbour," I shouted.

"All hands, Aye!" He replied.

"Smithe, when Jonesy is on deck, take a few o' those Dutch sailors aloft an reef the top sails." Smithe knuckled his forehead, and he didn't hav t' wait long, Jonesy head had just cleared the main hatch.

The winds were drivin' us in t' port, no need t' even tack. "We need t' slow the Relentless an find good anchorage, " I said.

"The winds aren't goin' t' favor any backing here!" I shouted t' Dillard. "Tell the lads to start furling the main, Mister Dillard."

We'll bring her in on the mizzen, I thought.

Red Cat came back to a decidedly happier Nate. She handed him a steamin tankard o' Rosie's fyne dark coffee an dropped more bacon upon th plate. They had no sooner tucked well into breakfast when th call came fer all hands. "Aye port!" exclaimed Nate around a mouthful o' bacon an bread. He grinned an Red Cat sprung up. "Oi we'll be there in no time wit this wind" She drank down th last o' th coffee an threw in wit Nate t' ready to haul in some sail as Mr. Tar needed to slow their approach. They looked towards th shore an the wharf while shouts, an orders, an canvas snapped above them.

Nate was happy working along side Red Cat. It were hard to keep the grin off his face, not only for the company, but for the fact they were heading in to a more hospitable port than Habana proved to be. It were no time at all that they were easing their way at about two knots. Some skinny lad were in the bow tossing the lead and calling out the depth. Nate wasn't sure what the Relentless drew, but by his guess they had a good amount of sea room, still about two mile from shore. Hands were called to cat the bower so Nate made his way forward, the Red Cat at his side.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

The nearby island was coming up quickly, I quickly realized the bay we were about to enter was not a peaceful sound we had been promised. I supposed Smithe realized it, too; as I watched him cross himself and mumble a quick prayer.

We were on the western side of the great river and entering barataria bay. I glanced back at Mister Tar, and he didn't seem surpised by our final destination. He was more concerned by the water depth, or lack there of, in some places.

As we all started to look about, I heard someone else gasp, "This is a bay for pirates!"

Colard stood at the larbard bow, gazing toward shore. Mist hovered under the trees and the air smelled of dank vegetation. The ocean, influenced by the river flowing into it, lay flat and oily-looking. It had been a long time since last he'd been in these waters, but Colard remembered the smell — and the thick, humid heat which seemed to press against his chest. Just heading around the lee of an island, and just above the tree line, he could see the tip of a mast, and a pennant coiling and uncoiling in the light breeze.

"How far up river is the port?" the captain asked. She stood next to him, one hand shading her eyes as she watched her ship's progress. He was sure she'd also seen the mast.

"Can't say as I remember, but a fair distance. You won't want tae take the ship in. It's the jolly boat as what'll be needed. And you'll need tae keep a canny eye out for snags and sand bars. They shift like ghosts, and make the river a trecherous ol' deevil."

She smiled. "You've a canny eye, I suspect. You keep watch here, for now, and I'll send Jimmy aloft to do the same. When we catch up to the Relentless, we'll see what's what."

Colard nodded. "Aye, Ma'am, I'll do that." But Colard had the feeling she was more interested in the ship navagating the river ahead of them, and that accounted for the smile on her face.

Then they to the tavern house

with meikle oly prance

One spoke with wordis wonder crouse

A done with mischance!

I would die where I would dine

In tavern to recline

Then would angels pray the glibber

God have mercy for this bibber.

Nate made to look busy tending lines and sail as the ship navigated up the river to whee this port was. Nate kept his eyes open and took in all around him off of the ship. "This ship ain't meant t be no river scow. Father, I don't like this." Nate wiped his brow with his neckerchief and pulled a line tight before securing it. The man on the lead line was tossing the lead vigorously and calling out the depth just as quick. twice now they had to make rapid course adjustments to avoid running aground. Commodore Tar had more sail bent on to compensate for running against the flow if the river to maintain so movement, but steerage was still very light. Nate looked back to see the man on the wheel struggling to put the Relentless where the commodore wanted her.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Red Cat finished with her task at hand. The line belayed properly fer th moment. She called a crewman o'er t' wotch in case it be needed an headed towards Mr. Tar.

Careful not t' interrupt too quick, but passin nervous glances towards the two shores she spoke. "Oi Jacky..have we a chart b'low I kin get? r' we t feel ar way through this?" Summin on his face... if ye looked real close showed he were confident as if he'd been here afore.

Cat pointed at th cove they be sailin towards. "Fine...I'll be one fer th Jolly Cap'n. Wot be yer plans from thar? " She fetched th spyglass from th' binnacle an looked towards shore

Nate shifted and rubbed the back of his neck. The hairs there felt like they were standin on end and he didn't like it one bit. Looking about the deck he saw everyone so busy keeping the ship in trim and watching the land get closer. Nate put his eyes over the side and looked out to sea. The hair on his neck jumped out again as he spied sails well over the horizon. Now this were a port so seeing sails approach were nothing unusual, but for some reason when he looked at those coming toward them, he felt something. She were a schooner rig and Nate grinned his wild grin, it had to be the Rakehell. "Thank ya Father. . . . "

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

As we cleared the windward side of the island, and came in to the calmer lee, there was the Relentless, sitting pretty as a picture on the calm waters of the bay. She hadn't dropped anchor yet, but her sails were half furled, and I could see men in the rigging taking up more.

Beside me, Africa said, "Best stay out o' pistol range."

I grinned. "I told you before. He'll miss. But he has to vent his annoyance with me somehow. You'll see. It will all be well in the end."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"I'll be damned," I said. "Mister Dillard, prepare the swivel gun, an fire a warnin' shot across the bow o' that ship. Mind ye, across the bow not in t' the powder magazine, Mister Dillard!" As temptin' as that might be, I thought.

Dillard smiled, a wicked smile, all too happy t' comply wit' that order.

"That should give 'er pause," I mumbled. "How did she find us?"

I turned t' Red Cat, an said, "We'll be tradin' wit' locals fer some provisions, we'll be needin' in Florida." I paused, "See if ye can roust Roberts, he'll be takin' the watch while we're away."