The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

"Whoa Silkie! Slow down lass, less ye want me t' believe I hav two mad women aboard me ship," I said.

I shoved the crumpled note in t' a coat pocket. "We couldn't very well leave Havana wit' out a cook, now could we? Since, we've lost the only other galley we might o' used." I stared back out t' sea. "We must man... or woman are own!"

Wit' me back still t' Silkie, "She brings a little life t' the party, I'll grant ye that. But I doubt she'll sink the ship, like some others might o' done."

I turned back around. "Tomorrow we'll leave Havana, wit' Rosie, as our new galley cook." I said. "Unless o' course, yer offerin' t' reconsider takin' charge o' the galley?"

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I slapped Nate on the back. "Come on, we'll find you a berth to stow your belongings, while you wait for us to get closer to the doldrums," I chuckled and turned toward the hatch.

"Aye. . . ." Nate said and squinted one eye shut, the other half way and watched the man head to the hatch. Nate was still not sure if he should take Dillard seriously, but had no choice in the matter. He picked up his belongings and weapons and followed below.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Silkie's sudden silence told me, Rosie would be stayin' in the galley.

It was just then, that Stones came on deck t' take ov'r the night watch. "Stones, keep a weather eye t'night. No one leaves or boards the ship wit' out me permission," I said. "I'll retire t' me cabin, fer now." After he knuckled his forehead, Stones lit his pipe. I paused t' watch the pipes' smoke circle his head like a wreath, 'fore I headed t' me cabin.

I turned one last time t' Silkie. "Ye best get some rest, lass," I said. "We'll shove off at first light."

Red Cat havin missed TAr as he'd headed down th docks earlier..had retired t' her hammock an th flask o Brandy. She b'lieved a good rest were important afore an unknown journey. Such a journey, she suspected would be forthcomin. Cat woke swattin at a bug which had tickled her nose and lay in the swayin cavas blinkin as her mind caught up t' events o the day. She slung a leg over an hopped t' the floor grabbin fer her coat agin th' chill o th evenin air. Even nights in Habana could be cool out on th' swells just offshore. As Cat headed into the gangway strapin on her cutlass as she went, she came face t' face wit Tar. He looked both stricken an determined. The two stopped in silence jes starin at each other fer a long moment. Finished wit bucklin her weapons on, Red Cat tilted her head t' the side an spoke in a soft voice o' concerned surprise. "Oi..Jacky...wot has ye lookin as such?"

He fished int' his poket and handed her a crumpled parchment then continued past her down the gangway. Cat stood an watched him go. She started after him, but then glanced th note. Afore even readin it's contents she could see it was penned in Ransom's hand. Red Cat rolled her eyes heavenward an resolved t' head off t' th Rakehell an find put jes wot the new bit o drama were. As she headed int' th fresh night air she spied Nate. "Nate! Oi! Mr. Durant! A ward if ye will" Nate grinned, dropped wot he were doin an stepped towards her.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Being new to the Rakehell, Colard wasn't sure what had just happened, or why they had slipped out of Havana without the other ship, but the mood on board had gone somber. The captain kept to herself, either brooding at the stern, or below in her cabin. The big blackamoor was the only one pleased they were at sea again. Colard did as he was told, and the rest of the crew didn't seem to mind his presence. But he couldn't quite bring himself to hum a tune as was his wont, the atmosphere being a wee bit too black for it to seem proper. A shame, really, for he was full of tunes that needed singing. Without thinking, his gruff voice kept low, the tune sneeked out. One, he thought, fitting their circumstances. "Oh, another drop o' rum wouldn't do us any harm...."

Then they to the tavern house

with meikle oly prance

One spoke with wordis wonder crouse

A done with mischance!

I would die where I would dine

In tavern to recline

Then would angels pray the glibber

God have mercy for this bibber.

Nate had been laying out the lines on the Relentless, learning this ship just as he had learned the Rakehell. His mind was working, still wondering if Dillard was serious when the voice of Red Cat Jenny called his name. Nate wasn't sure if she were on this ship, but now he knew and grinned at her as he approached. "Aye Red Cat, ol' Nate's at yer service. Wot be yer wish? Tis my command." Nate wasn't sure why he said what he did, but he didn't care, he had an ally aboard that would surely back him up if the captain had thought to throw him back to the sea.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Nights in port, aboard a ship, are quiet. The gentle lapping o' the water against the ship's hull. The creaks an groans of worn moorings.

Wit' out company, one often talks t' the ship, "Rest easy this night, ol' girl. Tomorrow, we'll cast off the breast an spring lines that bind ye, then we'll put this port behind us. Aye, there's only room in this sailor's life fer one lady an her name be Relentless." I blew out the candle lit lantern an settled down t' sleep.

Red Cat grinned right back at Nate, enjoyin his enthusiasm t' please her. A lil spoilin now an then were a goode thing. She began t' ask him wot brung him t' th relentless when she spied...or in fact did not spy ...the Rakehell. Cat spun all round searchin th waters an wharf. "Nate! "she asked perplexed at his mood despite there bein no sign o Ransom. Jacky's mood an th note clicked. "Wot's appened here?" Not waitin fer his answer, Red Cat opened the crumpled parchment an read Ransom's wards wi disbelief.

"Nate! Wot's appened here?"

Nate's grin faded. He watched as Red Cat looked around bewildered and then pulled a crumpled parchment straighter and read it. It were th piece he delivered to th commodore. Nate shrugged one shoulder. "Capin Ransom sent ol' Nate cross ta th commodore's ship an tol me ta stay. She up-anchored an was off. Can't say much more n tha. That be wot she gave me ta gie ta th commodore, but I ain't been one ta read it." Listening to his words the shock wore off of Red Cat Jenny and a slight fire was seen in her eyes. Nate hadn't crossed her so he knew it weren't directed at him, so his grin returned. "Wot be yer pleasure, Miss Jenny? Wot can ol' Nate do ya fer?"

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Red Cat blinked at th horizon...not a sign o' sail wot looked familiar. "Bloody hell!" she exclaimed t' th' darkness..

She looked back at Nate "Ye kin tell me how ready we be t' sail....aye, Tar may sleep fer now, but as he wakes this ship an 'er comp'ny had best be ready t' make way. We were small in numbers afore an I can't say I care fer th' odds Mister Durant!" She stuffed th parchment back in a poket an then regarded th sailor agin. "Jes 'ow did ye come t be left behind sah?"

I was awake before day break. My stomach was telling me to go to the galley, but the lump on my head was telling me to remain in my hammock.

I rolled out of my hammock and reached a compromise between my head and stomach. I knew where some hardtack and smoked meats could be found, in the hold; I decided they could be had without risking another blow to the head.

So, having secured some food without risking a trip to the galley, I climbed the steps to the main deck.

"Jes 'ow did ye come t be left behind sah?"

Nate watched the Red Cat look for the Rakehell and make her exclamations and question him. "I weren't left b hind, capin ordered me aboard this here ship, ol' Nate delivered that message too." He looked around the darkened ship and saw a figure come up on deck. Nate spoke in a low tone. "We're set ta cut th cables, so ta speak, at first light. I think that's th commodore's wishes, as is mine." nate jerked his head towards the approaching figure. "We gots compny." Nate picked up the nearest line and began laying it out nicely, grinning and humming a shanty.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

I spied Nate tending to a line and speaking in hushed tones to Red Cat. It hadn't escaped my notice that with the Rakehell gone, we'd added more than a few to ships present company.

I addressed Nate, "Day light comes early. If you haven't caught a few winks, I suggest you turn in."

I glanced at where the Rakehell had been, then looked at Red Cat and said, "We can find you a berth as well, if you'll be staying aboard?"

"Aye, sah! I'll be turnin in soon as I finish up m duties." Nate continued to flake out the line and heard the man ask if Red Cat was staying aboard. He stopped in mid swing waiting for her to answer. Nate almost spoke out of turn, saying there was room in the forward berth, but held his tongue.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Africa was more than happy to be at sea again. Being in Havana Harbor and hearing Spanish being spoken everywhere he turned, had brought back foul memories of four years of slavery. Four years rowing in the belly of a Spanish galley, watching men he'd known since childhood die, their bodies thrown overboard without even a shroud, or a word at thier passing. Some of his friends had been sold to work the sugar plantations, others sent to various slave markets.

But he had survived, until their ship was taken by the Rakehell and he'd been set free. And the person who had released him from that living hell was not so very happy to be back at sea again, and her attitude was beginning to annoy him. She stood at the rail, looking back the way they had come, her red hair flying in the stiff breeze which carried the Rakehell closer to colonies.

"How long you goin' to mope after Dat Man?"

She whirled around, her blue eyes blazing. "As long as I damned well please!"

Africa decided to give it another day or two before asking that question again.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

My question to Red Cat seemed to have taken the wind out of her sails. At that moment, she must of realized that she too was without a ship.

"Not to worry Miss, you can throw yourself on Mister Tar's tender mercies, in the morning." Her shoulders slumped and I said, "Let's find you a berth near the galley, for the night."

Nate looked like he was about to object, as I led the weary Cat below decks.

Red Cat hadn't really considered th' matter at first..she were too busy thinkin about th' rest o'' their journey and had been aslumber when th Rakehell sailed. She'd slung a hammock in an empty spot for her rest an sent Dillard after it. Jus when things seemed t' be underway, the tack had changed agin. Shortly she were settled in wot amounted to a space which were reserved fer officers r' important passengers an Cat sat vexed on an empty sea chest considerin tha her belongins must ave sailed as well. She didna know tha Ransom had sent her things at th last moment and they were in th hold below. She thanked Mr. Dillard and requested he send a crewmember t' fetch Roberts.

Fetch! This woman needed to be set straight.

"Red Cat, It's late and lest you get the wrong idea, let's be clear about your situation. There are no guests aboard the Relentless. You are either a member of the crew or someone whose booked passage." I paused, "Don't let your glamorous surroundings fool you. You're near the galley, which keeps some distance between you and the male crew members. If I see Mister Roberts, I'll let him know you're aboard."

I turned an left her, without another word.

Red Cat saw Red....

She pulled th dagger from her boot an stood to go after th dog who'd speak t' her tha way. Then she considered how many new crew there be aboard given th recent mutiny, an tucked th dagger away an headed after him. "Mr Dillard!...."CAt shoved her hat foreward on her head an strode up to Dillard. "I'll have ye know I be a guest o' Mr. Tar...anytime I be on th Relentless! " She rose a bit on her toes "An as important as I like!" She leaned closer causing Dillard to lean away a little "Crew! BAh! I may take on duties as a favr t' th Cap'n..but on His ship ye'll show me some respect!" She glared at him barely able t' keep her temper contained. It had been growin since they'd reached Habana an witout her sea chest or th' Rakehell Red Cat was in no mood fer man nor beast an jes spoilin fer a fight. As Dillard opened his mouth t' speak Roberts hearing the familiar sound of an angry cat, came around th corner.

Nate was about to retire from his duties aboard yet another ship. He headed down the forward hatch and just as he set foot on the lower deck the sound of a ruckus from aft made its way to Nate's ears. He knew the voice well, as it was one of the first of this lot he had heard. He yawned and stretched, stuck a finger in his ear and wiggled it about hoping to clear it so he might make out the shouted words better. No luck. Nate looked at the other crew there and grinned at them. He crept towards the sounds of the ruckus, but it ended before he got closer, so it seemed. Nate shrugged and returned to his hammock, stowed his tools and weapons before rolling is jacket up for a pillow and settling himself to sleep.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

I spun about, when I heard her rapidly approaching footsteps. When I was sure she didn't have a dirk in her hand, I released my grip on mine and brought my empty hand from behind my back.

I bent back a little to see her face, as she were only about chest high and had her hat tilted forward.

When she finished her tirade, I spoke, "You want respect? You'll have to earn it, the same as any other man jack, aboard this vessel. Work above decks or in the gallant yard, as Mister Tar wishes. Show you have some seaman skills, do a little less posturing and I might even show you some respect."

Out of the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of Roberts. He didn't look surprised, or angry, at our exchange. I finished, "I see you won't be needing anyone to fetch Roberts! So, good night." I turned to Mister Roberts and said, "Mister Roberts," knuckled my forehead and returned to my berth.

Red CAt had crunched both fists up and was fit t' be tied..

"Hmph! ..ye wait till t' morrow ye sorry excuse fer a sailor! " Roberts chuckle interrupted her an she threw him a look..tho some small part was glad he was thar. "Ye'll be lucky if ye aint swimmin back t' Habana!"

No answer as Dillard had turned his back and gone. Red Cat continued to grumble the started off after him agin only t' be stopped by the large arm o' Johnathan Roberts. Cat struggled an yelled all th more. "Unhand me ye dog! I ain't finished! GAh!!!! "

"Aye but ye are.." he said still smilin tryin t' herd th yowling Cat back to her quarters. Roberts had long dealt wit her quick temper , but was wise enoug t' keep an eye t' both hands when she were this angry. She had pulled a knife on him once when he'd tried t' stop her and then there were th pistol incident back on th island Tribe inhabited. "G'dammit Roberts! Let me go! Ye'll be next I swear on it! Prove meself! Might show respec!? BAh!! We'll see come daylight!

The sounds trailed off as Roberts closed th cabin door behind em.

I'd heard the ruckus comin' from midships; shortly after the commotion died down, Dillard returned t' his berth, in a foul mood.

"Silkie's singin' keep ye awake again, sire?" I asked. He shook is head an said somethin' 'bout needin' t' strangle a cat. "Mister Dillard, I'll catch the cat sire. Ol' Smithe 'll lock it up in the bilge. Won't trouble ye a bit, sire." Dillard just chuckled, threw himself in t' his hammock and told me t' go back t' sleep.

Nate was far from being asleep when the man Dillard came grumbling in. He spoke with another fellow named Smithe. Nate knew the cat they spoke of was not a small furry creature, but none other than the woman whom he had just had words with. He was going to get up and see about finding her, might be too obvious, so he lay there for a time. Once the other had settled in and were quiet Nate sat up and lowered himself to the deck, shrugged on his jacket and tried to quietly make his way out. Just as he reached the ladder Nate felt eyes on him. He turned to see Dillard with a look on his face. Nate pointed up through the hatchway and to his temple. "Goin' ta th' head, sah." Nate saw Dillard shake his head and lay back down. Grinning, Nate climbed onto the deck and went to the head, just to prove he weren't giving the lie. After he headed aft, wondering just what had gone one between The Red Cat and Dillard.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

I was restless an ill at ease. So, I arose from me bunk an pulled on some boots, t' venture topside.

I found Stones, still smokin' his pipe an makin' his rounds. We had probably another four hours 'fore day break an Stones watch should have ended. It was just then that Dillard came back on deck t' relieve Stones.

The men exchanged salutes an Stones retired t' his berth, before the mast.

I saw Nate comin' from the bow; so, I mentioned t' Dillard that we needed t' add Nate in t' the watch rotation, 'fore I returned t' me cabin. He agreed an said, he'd mention it t' Roberts in the mornin'.