The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

Before Cat had a chance t' argue Silkie had entrusted her with her most precious posession. Red Cat looked about grumblin' as she stuffed the odd feeling hide amongst the items in the longboat. A bag dropped on top and looking up she spied Nate clamberin over the rail heavily laden with arms his usual grin in place. "Prepare t ' cast th line" she shouted an was answered by Roberts announcin he was t' join th' party.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Cat's got yer wot?" I said curtly, t' Silkie. "Then I suggest ye retrieve it 'fore they shove off! Unless ye'd like t' swim after it."

Wit' a redder face, she turned in the direction o' the long boat.

"The rest o' the lot o' ye, look alive. Back t' yer stations."

"Stones, grab the spy glass an send Jonesy back aloft, t' see if there are indeed other galleons."

I exclaimed further, "If the galleons are a bluff, prepare t' make a run fer open waters, once the long boat is safely away."

"Oi!" Just as Roberts foot hit the bottom of the longboat Silkie popped over the rail and scurried down the ladder. "M'comin wit-ya. Roberts had barely moved out of her way when she steped deftly into the boat. "Blasted Spaniards" Silkie placed herself beside Cat. Then grabbing an oar she prepared to shove off.

"Beggin' yer pardon, Sire." I says t' the captain, as I was 'bout t' cast off the line, t' the launch. "Much as many o' us would like t' see Miss Silkie off this ship, was she t' be part o' the launch crew, Sire?"

I glanced down in t' the long boat, and remarked, "She seems t' be seated in the boat, and mannin' an oar?"

The captain's expression answered me question.

"Oi, Roberts! Seems the capt'n didn't order Miss Silkie t' join yer crew. Could ye send 'er back, now!"

Glowering at Roberts then up at Smithe she growled only loud enough for those in the longboat to hear "I'm feelin like a lamb t'd slauter. I'm startin t'see wot d'big moore's been sayin ...poor Ransom ..." One could see her face reddning with the moment, her temperature rising. "Give mae det ting." She lifted the oar parallel to the bottom of the boat and let it fall with a push as Cat handed her the hide. The hide was stuffed into the haversack, half of it hanging out the top. She then stood, looking up at Jacky. "Wot d' fek d'ya wont's uv mae man?" The stress was clearly getting to the sealkie.

I walked over t' the side where the long boat was tied, an spoke directly t' Silkie, "I want ye t' climb out o' that boat, an drag yer sorry hide back on this ship."

"Did ye really think that launch would ever make it t' the Rakehell, wit' yer self aboard?" I laughed, "Ye'd just be makin' it that much easier fer the Spanish t' collect ye. And ye wouldn't be doin' any o' yer mates any favors; except mayhaps in Nate's case, one could suppose the galleon's brig might be bigger, than that o' the Relentless."

"Aye, ye look like ye could use somethin' t' lift yer spirits, lass." I said t' Silkie. "Now a spot o' rum wouldn't do ye any harm. Or a shot o' the whiskey, mayhaps."

She nodded, an I suggested she sing t' lift the crews' spirits. While I hav Smithe fetch some libations, t' lift her's.

Nate cocked his head at the remark from the commodore about the brig on the galleon might be bigger. He muttered to himself, but loud enough for Red Cat to hear, "Alla my crew be special ta me, might be a favour ta ol' Nate if th spanish caught him, Father, fergive im fer he knows not wot he says." Nate breathed in and out a hiss. "Wot say we get a move on back ta th Rakehell, My Captain will want ta know wot become of us." Nate grabbed up the sweep Silkie had discarded and another and dumped the blades in the water, taking a powerful pull and pulled the line free of the Relentless. In between pulls Nate managed more words, not sure if they were loud enough ta be heard on deck, "Bon Voyage commodore! Best o luck wit them there spanish! If ya needs any assistance, send us a note an we'll sees wot we can accomodate ya wot fer! Ah-ree-ve-derchee! Sah!" Roberts glared at Nate for a time, Red Cat tried not to laugh at the scene as she tucked the tiller under her arm.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Sing? Sing! Lift THEIR spirits?! Silkie pulled out her silver flask, removed the cork and took a swig. When she pulled it away from her mouth she looked less pleased than when she started. Not a splash came from inside. She looked at Jacky ...he hadn't ordered her to sing but he was the captain, a request was as good as command. A somber sound came from the siren, she was worried and couldn't keep her mind from what Spoons had said. She had been through this before and the crew she was with paid dearly for it. She needed to talk to Jacky and soon.

Smithe returned from below decks wit' a small keg o' rum an a dusty bottle o' whiskey. When he had filled Silkie's flask, I remarked, "Don't worry lass, ye'll get yer chance t' get back in the water, t'nite."

"Stones, roust up the spare stern anchor an some rope; our Spanish neighbors will be needin' t' borrow it."

Silkie wiped her mouth with her sleeve and looked to see that none but Jacky were within ear shot. "Tain't d'water. Tis d'danger ta ya an d'crew. I'm a good catch cap ...only few know what makes mae so, dear's a reason fer det. I value m'freedom." She paused a moment then continued before Jacky could make some 'clever' remark. "I ner should a swam t'd'ship at d'onset uv dis voyage, to obvious. I knew it too, but I wus ner one t'back down frum a challenge." She gave Jacky a look that read You doubted what I was. "...specially one so easy t'win."

"We'd be in more danger, if'n ye weren't wit' us, I believe." I said t' Silkie, in hushed tones. "Know that the lads that signed on t' this ship risk their lives, every time we put out t' sea. Know too, that I'll not hold ye against yer will."

I looked at the galleon, not far from us, and remarked, "The Spanish empire is in decline, and they're not much better than the treasure hunters they condemn." I turned back t' Silkie, "I want ye t' help us leave a partin' gift fer yon galleon." I chuckled, "I want ye t' pass a rope 'bout their rudder, and we'll do the rest." It was just then, that lads brought up on deck the spare anchor.

Silkie's one brow lifted as the corners of her mouth curled upwards and her spirits although not high were lifted. Chuckling she looked askance at Jacky mischief dancing in her eyes "Aye ...I ken manage det." her expression became softer and sincere, "An I knows Jacky" her hand touched his sleeve, "ya'woodn't keep mae ere, m'jus worried bout you n'yer lads."

"I thought ye could... We'll wait fer night fall. Get some rest, it could be a long night."

I was sorry I couldn't let Silkie sail wit' Roberts, but I wasn't sure in wot' condition they'd find the Rakehell. I also felt, Silkie an the Relentless would hav a better chance at sea, together.

Silkie went to the forecastle to rest, below deck would be far too warm with no air moving. The forecastle provided shade from the sun and any breeze coming from the right direction would help keep the lass cool. She climbed into a hamock that hung just inches from the upper deck and clutching her hide she managed to find rest.

Nate pulled the sweeps for a bit by himself and finally quit a moment to turn and stare back at Roberts. "Mister Roberts, you plan on pullin yer set o sweeps some time afore we find th Rakehell? Miss Red Cat here be in command an I don't remember you ta be comin aboard as a passenger." Nate waited to hear Red Cat pipe up, or Roberts argue back. He was rewarded with another scowl from Roberts who finally took a proper seat and grabbed a set of sweeps. All he could guess was some unspoken thing went between the Red Cat and Roberts. Nate called out a rhythm and soon they were gliding along the brackish waters again, but much faster this time. With Roberts at his back and Red Cat on the tiller, Nate grinned at her as he pulled along. He began to sing a shanty in time, but the Cat gave him a look and shook her head, stopping him. "Bit o stealth might not be a bad thing when we come upon the Rakehell, or someone else." She said in a low voice. Nate winked and gave her a knowing look and bent his back to the task.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

The long boat had long passed out o' sight, an the sun was beginning t' set. I sent Smithe t' wake Silkie.

Stones had prepped our gift fer the galleon, an we just needed Silkie t' loop the rope 'bout their rudder, under the cover o' darkness.

Dillard remarked 'bout our good fortune, wot wit' their bow still pointin' north and ours south.

"Aye, the anchor will allow us time t' put some distance 'tween us, and their long guns." I remarked. I wondered out loud, wot was takin' Silkie, so long.

Colard stood at the rail looking out over the dark water of the inlet. The air smelled of rotted vegetation, and insects hummed in the air. As he watched, a snake as round as his wrist undulated across the surface of the oily-looking water. He pointed it out to the woman who stood next to him.

"Ye'll want tae be warry of those, ma'am. Deadly, they are. Kill a man in a matter of minutes."

She watched the snake until it dissappeared into the dense foliage on shore. "Anything else I should know?"

"Weel, ma'am, there also be crocks in these waters. They come up under a man and drag him down. Some of them are sae big, they can swallow a man whole."

"Friendly place, this," she said.

"No, ma'am. It's nae a friendly place at all. If the snakes and the crocks don get ye, the fever will. Best we leave as soon as may be."

She turned to him then, her eyes dark blue as the dusk sky. "As soon as may be, Mr. Dysart. I assure you."

Colard felt a bit uncomfortable in her presence after that, so went back below decks to make sure the repairs to the hull were good and finished.

Then they to the tavern house

with meikle oly prance

One spoke with wordis wonder crouse

A done with mischance!

I would die where I would dine

In tavern to recline

Then would angels pray the glibber

God have mercy for this bibber.

After another call from Dillard Silkie came running from below. "M'comin, m'comin ...ad t'lighten d'load. She stood before the crew in long chemise and nothing more, the familiar haversack over her shoulder. "Wot ya all starin at?" She knew well that a woman in nothing but her under clothes was what they were staring at but her look dared any to say so. "Jacky?" She looked at the man her eyes saying "do something about this will you?"

"Alright! Back t' work ya scaly wags!" The men returned to what they had been doing!" He paused as they returned to their assignments. "Silkie, wot in the name of...?"

She looked at him and stated flatly "After dis every crew man is goin t'know anyway. Tis no reason fer mae t'make tings arder on maself den I needs'ta. Changin in d'woter es nil easy an can bae rater dangerous ...sharks ya know. Waer m'I t'do dis in a longboat? On deck? I'd rater nay ave all eyes on mae but ...I'd ulso rater not chang in d woter eider."

I turned back t' Silkie, an said seriously, "I wouldn't worry 'bout sharks, but should a gator swim out t' meet ye, get yer self back on this ship."

"Ye needn't concern yer self 'bout yer state o' undress either, I've had Smithe lower the last long boat in t' the water, an ye can disrobe there." I directed her toward the port side ladder, down t' the long boat. "Come around t' the starboard side, when yer able, an Stones will drop a rope t' ye. Just run the rope 'bout the rudder o' the galleon, and yer labors will be done."

"humpf" Silkie pulled the back of her chemise up between her legs and over the front while she climbed over the rail then let it free as she descended the ladder to the longboat, hmmm ...nice breeze she thought.

Once in the boat she looked up and waited until all eyes had turned away. Long moments later a splash was heard from port of the ship. Within moments of that a playful seal appeared on starboard and bobbed in the surf waiting. The heavy line was lowered to the water. She ducked below the surface and came up with the loop in her mouth and dove again hoping they would quickly and wondering if she could handle the drag once the line were extended and soaked.

It were gettin' dark and Nate wondered if they'd find the Rakehell before too long. Red Cat had the only eyes forward as Nate and Roberts were pulling the sweeps. And if the Schooner's captain was hiding, no lights would be lit on deck making it harder ta see. Nate grumbled to himself. "Father, I'm not wantin ta spend a night in this backwater in an open boat, show us our ship, I beg o ye." In the dim light Nate could see Red Cat peering out into the ever darkening marsh and backwater. Nate was about to make a second appeal to heaven when she suddenly stood. Nate and Roberts stopped pulling and looked at the Red Cat. Sitting back down, she grinned at them. "Keep pullin, the Rakehell's just up a ways." Nate grinned his wild grin and began pulling for al he was worth. Thank ye Father. . . . I knew ye weren't leavin ol' Nate and his friends out this night."

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

All on the Rakehell was dark and silent. Tunny and Ludo crouched low at the stern rail, each to a loaded and primed swivel gun. Goose held the slow match, the glowing tip shielded in his cupped hand. Africa kept his eyes on the mouth of the inlet where a small boat moved, following the sound of its sweeps slapping into the water.

I whispered to the gunners. "If they don't hail us by the time they round the mouth, fire on them. And don't miss. I want no Spanish survivors to run back to the galleon and give our position away."

As we watched, a figure stood in the bow of the boat, then sat back down, without identifying themselves.

"Fire," I said.

Goose touched the slow match to the first swivel gun. Tunny was an expert gunner. The sound of splintering wood followed the explosion of powder and shot. "She's hit amidships and sinking, Ma'am. Do I fire again?"

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

The unmistakeable sound of a cannon in the distance, seemed t' hav awaken everyman on board the galleon. The capitan had called fer all hands on deck, an their decks were swarmin' wit' sailors an marines.

"This is bad timin'." I muttered, as I watched the sleepin' galleon spring t' life. I scanned the dark waters anxiously, tryin' t' get a glimpse o' Silkie. There was too much activity near the stern o' the galleon, fer her not t' be noticed.

"Come on lass, abort the mission, 'fore yer spotted." I wanted t' shout, but it was too late. There was lot's o' yellin', an I couldn't be sure, but it looked like a cargo net had been tossed overboard near the stern. Men were either pushed or jumped in t' the water, an somethin' was dragged in t' a waitin' long boat.