The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

When the shot whistled over our bow, I turned to Africa intending to do a "See I told you" but he wasn't next to me. Instead, he was at the wheel turning us hard to port.

"What in blazes are you doing?" I shouted.

"Dat Man have two gun ports open and cannons run out! I tol you he be mad."

I turned my attention back to the Relentless. Africa was right, Jacky had run out two cannons.

Jimmy, who'd been in the bow when the swivel gun shot had gone over, came rushing up. "What's he doin'? Why's he firin' on us? Near parted my hair with that shot!"

Ludo was pointing at the Relentless and venting a stream of Italian curses. Tunny had run to one of the eight-pounders, apparently thinking I'd return fire. Goose stood at his side, ready to run for powder, and Colard, in the process of pulling in sail, let it drop as the ship turned.

"Damn," I said. "Maybe he's really going to shoot me this time!"

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nate was surprised at wot the commodore ordered, shooting at his consort ship. Aye it were only a warning shot over the bow, but for what purpose? Nate didn't know what conspired between the ship captains, but it were almost as if they acted like an old married couple grousing at each other. Nate thought this were a good thing, the reunion of the two ships and in a hopefully friendlier port. But now that more guns were readied he wasn't sure. Looking skyward he held his palms up. "Did I thank ya too soon, Father? Aye? Ya wantin me ta ask him? Ya don't already know? Aye Father, if I must. . . ." Nate squared his shoulders and marched to where the commodore stood, snapped a smart salute. "Commodore Sir, Are we meanin ta sink th Rakehell, or take er as a prize? Jus need ta know wot shot ta bring out."

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

I gave Nate an incredulous look, and said, "Nate, you've met the hellcat that captains that ship. Wot would make ye think we could take that ship?"

Nate looked dumbfounded, so I continued, "Load round shot an don't spare the powder."

Nate stood a bit longer dumbfounded and thought to himself, 'Father, th commodore gone mad! Only reason I can think he'd do such a thing. I seen th way they looked at each other at times back in Habana, but maybe they had a hell of a spat back there that I don't know about. She be th capin I signed on wit. Wot does I do Father?!?!' Nate cleared his throat. "R-round shot, Sah?"

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

I snarled back, at Nate, "Aye, round shot!"

"Nate, I'm not in the habit o' repeatin' orders when I give them. Until I know her intentions, we'll stand ready."

"I'd load anvils, if I had the guns t' shoot them. This is a pirate bay, that is a pirate ship, and we hav no business wit' their captain. If she runs up a flag o' truce, we might parley."

The Rakehell did a quick pirouette and we tacked away from the Relentless. Africa was looking daggars at me, while the rest of the crew awaited orders. At this point, I had no idea what Jacky intended.

I rushed to the stern, and although I knew Jacky probably couldn't hear me, shouted, "Get it out of your system, blast you. But you put one scratch on my ship, and I'll haunt you for life!"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

The rest of the crew and I cheered, as the Rakehell turned away.

Mister Tar looked like he was ready to cast Ol' Nate adrift, again.

"One down, and one to go." I said to myself, as I glanced in Silkie's direction.

Roberts had loped up on deck from th first shot. Cap'n..was all he said. He wanted to question whether Tar realized it were th Rakehell he be firin upon, but given th nature o' the two Captains, he held his tongue. He shot a stern look at Nate when he questioned Tar. But said no more.

When th Rakehell turned her stern towards em he spoke agin "Cap'n we were runnin drills on th gundeck, an I took th liberty o' havin th' lads run out two when I heard th shot." He glanced over th deck toward th horizon squintin one eye agin th brightness off th water. "Wot's yer plan Sar?"

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

Red Cat glared at Roberts "Stow it ye big oaf!" she shouted. Then turned ta Jacky Tar. "Wot in blazes are ye thinkin? " She jutted a finger towards the sun glintin off the rail o th' Rakehell as she tacked East. "That be Ransom! are ye blind?! ..an ..." She paused only a moment as Jacky glared back at her "We doesnt ee'n know who be witin earshot! " Cat glanced towards th' lookout aloft "Oi!" she shouted upwards through cupped palms. The man aloft shook 'is head and turned back t' scan th horizon an th' lone retreatin ship. Jacky smiled a firece smile. She just hmphed an crossed her arms "Ye best hope theres none layin in wait along these many coves Mister Tar... an just wot ye think ol Africa been waitin fer eh? A chance t fire upon this ship." Her voice turned sweet "I lay odds he dreams o it nightly.." Now Cat wore th grin. "Are ye gonna have Roberts bring th' lads t' quarters? r' kin we end this wee drama....mayhaps on land...an look for summat t fill me pokets?" Cats grin grew wider an a little silly as she shook th corners o' her coat from which no large jingles sounded.

She hoped it would break th mood Tar was in.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

"I'm thinkin' were goin' t' need more cannons," I said t' Red Cat. "The captain o' the Rakehell is a women, and like most, as unpredictable as the wind."

Red Cat grunted. Once again, I'd fergotten she was a woman. With the smudged face, ill fittin' clothing, and hair tucked under her cap, it was an easy t' make that mistake.

I cleared my throat, an said, "Current company excepted, I can always predict ye'll do wot helps line yer pockets." With that, she stopped jinglin' her pockets, and turned t' watch the Rakehell sail away.

"Roberts, continue wit the drills an fire a few partin' shots, away from Rakehell." I said, "Have Nate here load round shot for the next salvo."

"Blast him all to hell, he's firing on us for real!" I had been prepared for some show of pique, but not this. I felt my blood start to boil.

"Tunny, run out that eight-pounder. When we tack again, put a shot over the Relentles, close as you can without hitting anything. I'll make him swallow seawater for lunch!" I turned to Africa. "Bring her around again, starboard side."

Africa, grinning like the devil, brought the ship around, and Tunny put fire-in-the-hole.

"Nice to see you too!" I shouted uselessly at Jacky's ship.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Dillard shouted, "Mister Tar, the Rakehell is coming back around, and she's has gun portals open!"

"Mister Roberts, belay the drills. On my orders, and my orders only, prepare t' return fire." Roberts moved like a cat, grabbed Nate by the scruff and hauled him below t' the gun deck.

We had no time t' weigh anchor, so we had t' disable the Rakehell fast.

"Mister Dillard, load chain shot on the forward gun an prepare t' fire on the Rakehell!" I shouted.

The Rakehell lurched, as two rounds struck the ship on the port side, near the water line. The ship's crew was now in peril on two fronts.

Spoons chuckled, "Hello, to you."

The Spanish captain bellowed out orders and prepared to sink the smaller ship.

Tunny was a good gunner. The shot landed ten feet from the Relentless, sending up a gyser of water onto her deck.

"Maybe that will bring him to his senses," I muttered.

Apparently not, as the Relentless opened all gun ports, preparing to defend herself.

"Where do you want the next one?" Tunny shouted.

Suddenly, the stupidity of what we were doing struck me. If I continued to return fire, we'd sink each other. Possibly kill each other. And for what? A silly misunderstanding?

At that point the Rakehell gave a great shudder, knocking me to my knees.

"What the hell.....!" Then I saw the other ship.

At the same time, Jimmy shouted, "We've been holed!"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

The Rakehell changed tack away from the Relentless, to make a run for the smaller lakes at the north end of the bay. It was then that the Spanish galleon came in to full view for the crew of the Relentless.

"Tack her to starboard. Throw her over as hard as you can and get her port side hull off the water!" I screamed at the crew. "Africa, get us in the estuary. The blasted galleon can't follow us there. Tunny, load the stern swivel guns in case they're stupid enough to try."

Seething with fury, I helped the crew turn the ship.

"Colard, go below and see what the damage is. Do what you can to stop water from coming in. Goose, go with him. Keep her afloat or I'll skin the hide off both of you!"

Though injured, the Rakehell made her tack, and, heeled over like a drunken sailor, fled upriver.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Roberts nearly knocked th Cat off her feet as he hustled below. Th gun ports slammed open one by one. Cat had just started after him givin up on Jacky but reeled drawin her pistol at th sound of fire from ano'er quarter. Th sails o' th' rakehell shook oddly as they took fire from "Gods teeth! " Cat yelled "The Spanish! " Shouts and orders flew. She turned an manned a deck gun wit two mates, stuffin th pistol in her sash. "Aye, bring it on lads..I'm jest in th mood fer this..." Cat muttered under her breath

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Nate were about to tell commodore Tar to 'stuff his roundshot up his arse' as he was not actually his crew, but a crewman of captain Ransom on loan. Nate was cut short when he was near jerked off his feet by Roberts and hauled below. Orders were given and belayed as another ship hove into view. It were a galleon of spanish make. "Bloody hell, Father! Oh, ah, eh heh, sorry. Mister Roberts Sah! Roundshot ta fire pon th spanish, sah? Double shot n powder?" Nate saw Roberts say something but the sound of close cannon fire drowned it out, Nate grabbed gun tools and powder and started loading up the beast of a cannon before him, double powder and stuffed two iron balls down the muzzle. The Rakehell was under attack by that galleon, and was soon to come under attack from the Relentless, unless someone stopped ol' Nate. He began speaking in tongues, well actually in gaelic at a loud volume and punctuating what he was doing by pointing heavenward here and there.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

As a parting shot from the galleon nearly hit out stern, Africa shouted at me, "Dat Man betray us to da Spanish."

"No!" I snapped. "IF he was going to do that, he'd have done it in Havana."

We were both holding on to railings or wheel, as the ship was canted over to keep her port side high off the waterline.

"Den, how dey find dis place?"

I looked back at the galleon, which was turning in order to put the Relentless in range. The Relentless, who was anchored and couldn't run. And the Rakehell couldn't help her. With a knot in my stomach, I said, "Same as we did. Luck. Bad luck for us, as it turns out."

But I had a hunch I knew who had led the Spanish to us, and if it proved to be true, I cursed him to the darkest pits of hell — and would happily put him there myself, if I ever got the chance.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Colard, and the scrawny cook, Goose, raced below to inspect the damage. Colard feared the worst, as a fountain of sea water was spraying across the hold, ruining bales of provisions.

"We be done for!" wailed the cook.

"Nae, lad, let's hae a look first." Colard forced his way to the gyser, which had now soaked him to the skin, and looked both with eyes and hands. He then turned to the stricken man and smiled. "Weel, we've had a vicious knock, but she nae be holed, just stove in between the ribs. But we'll need tae get this water out o' her innards, right quick. You whip back on deck, tell the captain I'll need men tae man a pump, and help me tae stop up this dike. Off ye go now. Smart like."

Goose nodded, then bolted from the hold.

Colard looked around. "Now, let's see wha we can find tae mend this poor lady."

Then they to the tavern house

with meikle oly prance

One spoke with wordis wonder crouse

A done with mischance!

I would die where I would dine

In tavern to recline

Then would angels pray the glibber

God have mercy for this bibber.

"Hold yer fire Mister Dillard," I screamed.

The Rakehell was listin' t' starboard an runnin' fer the north lakes, an her attackers now had their guns pointed in our direction.

"Steady, lads. Hold yer fire, if we're t' hav any chance at all, it must be a full broadside!"

"Stones, cut us free o' this anchor... Now!"

I yelled t' Jonesy, who was aloft, "Give me any canvas ye can!"

"Capitan, you are about to draw fire from the Relentless," I said. "May I suggest you, change course, run up a flag of truce, and close a few gun portals, ahora!"

Would he comply, or would Jacky fire first.

I didn't have to wait long, to find out. The capitan was shouting orders, and we were veering away from both ships.

Nate was about to fire a well aimed cannon at the galleon when the order to hold fire came from the commodore. Dillard grabbed Nate by the collar and pulled him back. "Wot ya do that fer, I hear th commodore!" Nate went to put his hand on the overhead when the anchor cable was cut. The Relentless lurched and Nate went flailing, dropping the slowmatch right on the cannon. *KaBoom!* it went sending the double shot towards the galleon. The aim had been thrown off, but not by much as the iron balls crashed into the spaniard.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

As the Rakehell made her way to the great lake, Africa had little time to think about the man he still believed had betrayed them. But when the ship was truely safe in some secluded cove, and the repairs made, then he would decide just what he would do when next they met up with the Relentless, and That Man.

Secretly, he hoped the Spanish sent her to the bottom, and her captain with her.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

The capitan was seething, the Relentless had fired upon us. The blast had struck us in the stern, and wrecked the capitans quarters!

But it was only one blast, not the bombardment one would of expected, and for now all was deadly quiet. That is, the cannons on both ships were quiet, while their captains roared like wounded lions.

I thought because of all the obscenities that were uttered, cannon blasts would be exchanged; but, instead a white flag was hoisted above the main, of the Spanish galleon.