The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite his gruffness Johnathan Roberts wouldn't intrude on another mans property..mostly

Resigning hisself ta Mr. Tar's company f' the next few hours less'n the Cat returned soon, (not tha it war so bad, he was beginnin ta like the man) he kissed the saucy wenches hand, gave her one of those trademark looks o his and said "Well Lass ye best be on yer way.. but if ye don't find yer man.." and pausing for effect added" usted sabe dónde encontrarme" with that he released her dainty mitt and turned back ta tellin Jacky ..now what was it?

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

Footsteps and scabbards clattered past one of many doorways, in one of many obscure alleyways down around the docks.

Red Cat held her breath listening to the four Navymen's polished boots crunch on the wet gravel until they grew distant in the darkness.

She crouched forward resting her hands on her knees, finally letting her breath out in steamy gasps that mixed with the fog ..and wondered what time it was. The air was too thick to see moon nor star.

::Lucky for the fog tho..::she thought to herself with a wry grin..

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I watch Rosarita leave the Pub, then turn to Jane. "Kinda weird, how she shows up out of nowhere, then disappears again, don't you think? I mean, where does she and Inigo live? Who watches the kids while their at the Pub? It's just...strange."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I turn t' Roberts and whisper, "Ye know, I don't always like t' see that Montoya woman comin', but ye hav t' luv watchin' her go!" Roberts chuckles, "Oi, bonita trasero!"

Note t' self, Roberts speaks Spanish (wish I did) he could be valuable on this next voyage, in case we hav any run-ins wit' any Spaniards.

Roberts slams a hand down on th table makin the pewter candlestick jump as he lets out a hearty laugh..

"Aye Jacky lad! couldn'a said it better meself! (laugh laugh)and a fyne one t'is!" his laughter subsides to a few chuckles an he leans o'er the table..

"Now I know ye must tink Ill o me fer not goin after tha Cat.. but ya see I told er I'd take care o her problem an ta stay put!" he bangs a fist on the table with a look of frustration.. "But I shoulda know er better n tha. She's an unpredictable one she is, likes ta settle er own affairs.. t' be honest.... I feels fer th man she's likely met up wi by now.." a wicked smile decorates his sodden expression.

Roberts takes a deep draught from his tankard and waits f' Jacky to absorb his words..

Aye, Roberts is an interestin' fellow, an there's more t' 'em than meets the eye.

Roberts' words start t' sink in. Wot man was Red Cat meetin', an if it weren't t' be a friendly exchange, was the Cat in any danger? "Roberts lad, if Red Cat were in any kind of danger ye'd tell a friend, right?" The big man looks uncertain, an he's had too much t' drink. "Square wit' me, is Red Cat in some kind of trouble?" He nods yea an then ne. "Blast man! where did she go?"

When deals go badly, along these docks, ye best know who will stand wit' ye. I drag the large man t' his feet, an march him towards the pub door. I grab me coat an prepare for wot may come next.

I see Jacky grab his coat and push Roberts toward the door.

"Oh, no, Jacky, you don't go on a mercy mission without someone to guard your back." I knock back the last of my champagne, then grab my own coat, and follow the two men.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Roberts was surprised at the strength o Jacky Tar, He figgerd him ta be tough, but was surprised when the man near lifted him off the planks!

He believed he'd better not argue th point after seein the look in Jacky an Ransoms eyes.

As the two shoved him towards th pub door Johnathan began ta wunner why he hadn't gone after Red Cat, he ain't sen er in months, tho they be thick as thieves in th past ,an he jus figured she woulda stayed thar in th pub while he handled things. Now he worried for two reasons. One, since the haze in his head be clearin, he was gettin genuinely worried about her. Two, the looks Jacky n Ransom gave him told him there'd be hell ta pay if anything happened to her. Which he really hoped nothin did

The hour was very late, and the fog had mostly cleared hanging about the ground casting an eerie look to the darkened town.

Satisfied that none other than the usual miscreants now occupied the alley, Red Cat slipped from the doorway, behind an apple cart an into th back door o the infamous " fancy Parrot" brothel. As she passed thru the doorway her favorite sash (the dark blue velvet one with the lil gold fleur de lis) caught on a nail. "Bugger!" she said under er breath an stopped t free herself. A shadow passed too near an she yanked the cloth free leavin a scrap hangin from the door frame as she took the stairs in twos..

Leaving the Fancy Parrot, by the back door, a familiar face passes me. Why would Red Cat be going in there? Luckily she didn't recognize me, so Mister Tar won't hear about my being here from her.

I step into the alley, and pull up the collar of my great coat. Looks like the fog is lifting. I'm parched, I think a quick stop at the pub for a night cap, is in order; so, I head for the pub.

We've been walkin' a bit, an Mister Roberts is still walkin' like he just got t' dry land. When I see a familiar face comin' out o' the alleyway, an headed our direction. I hail him, "Mister Dillard!"

The handsome, blond haired, man looks our way. Dillard replies, "Yer out late Mister Tar. What brings you into town, sir?" He looks sober, an on the off chance he's seen Red Cat, I ask, "We're lookin' fer Red Cat Jenny, ye haven't crossed paths wit' her, hav ye?" He replies, "Aye, sir. I may have passed her in that alley. I can't say for certain where she was headed, though." Dillard isn't sayin' where he's been, but I have my suspicions.

"Good night Mister Dillard, I trust I'll see you aboard ship in the mornin'." Dillard shows pluck, an replies, "Aye, sir. Good night! Till the morrow sir." He continues t' walk toward the pub.

I turn t' my companions, "Dillard must of passed her between here an the brothel." We head fer the alley and I smirk, "Dillard likes the ladies, he does."

Roberts watches the exchange between Jacky an his crewman and doesn't fail ta notice a furtive glance exchanged betwixt the blond sailor and Miss Ransom. Nor the slight blush arisin in her cheeks. After the young man takes his leave Roberts gives her a wink an she makes a face at him and a slashin motion across er throat. He chuckles.

Jacky be lookin towards th alley an Roberts says "Which brothel? the Fancy Parrot or Annie's Revenge? Ye know I believe one o her favorite pubs be down this way..we used ta raise a bit o the devil there now and agin..what was it called? " He looks towards the sky with one eye squeezed shut like the answer might rain down on his head.."Oy yes! That's it now.. The Dead Monkey!" He looks pleased with himself an grins wide at the two pirates in his company.

"Right strange name if ye ask me, but tis a large an rowdy place, where many a bloke might be what owes er summin" He heads towards the alley "this way mates!"

The thought that Dillard is now a member of Jacky's crew is a surprise. Haven't seen him in a year or two, but not a face a girl could forget. But when Robert's mentions the Dead Monkey, my attention is snapped back to present company.

"Not that dive! A more rowdy place you'd be hard-pressed to find anywhere. And watch your back, as the press gangs like to wait outside like vultures and pick off the drunks."

I cock a suspicious eye at Roberts. "Just why would Red Cat go there?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Roberts turned to False Ransom the trace of a bemused smile still visible on his lips, he could see she was the kind of woman that were fun t' tease wi. He also supposed she could hold her own and made note not ta tangle wi the lass if possible. "Miss Ransom as I told ye, thar be more'n one man who might owe the Cat a thing or two.." "Aye. it's a rough place to be sure, but she an I we go way back thar" He paused smilin at this statement, his blue eyes sparklin with a certain merriment " n' I lay odds it may be th place ta start.."

Pausing catlike at th top o the darkened stairway, Red Cat put an ear to the door on th right of the landing. No sound forthcoming, she knocked quickly twice followed by scratching once. A pause an the door handle began t' turn and then stopped. The knock was repeated and the door opened this time. "Aye, ye gave me a start there " Red Cat said and entred the dimly lit room closing the door just as silently behind her.

At the bottom of the stairs, down the corridor at the back.. the shadowy figure had returned. Silas grasped the blue velvet scrap with a leathery hand, inspecting it a moment and left it hanging as he walked quickly back out and around the corner into th rainy night..

"Aye, the Dead Monkey, a place t' watch yer back." I look at Roberts, "Few honest sailors venture there." I thought to me self, even few dishonest sailors go there. It was a pub fer highway men, an cut throats. "I can't imagine why Red Cat would agree t' meet someone there. It's not like there aren't other pubs."

Uneasy wit' this turn in events, but hopeful that we be gettin' closer t' Red Cat's whereabouts. I was anxious t' find her an return t' more seemly surroundings.

Thin fingers cupped the rough mug, Green eyes stared blanky at the flickering light reflected in the remaining drink. Jane sighed loudly, the breath rippling the dark liquid. She had watched Mr. Tar & Ransom haul the new comer out of the pub earlier. Curiosity told her to tag along, common sense knew that the two Captains had the issue well at hand. What could she do except get under foot? So instead Jane sat, sipping another mug of ever stronger tea grog, desperately trying to lay her finger on why that man had looked so familiar.

"Has ta be from New York" She muttered out loud, a spark of memory coming to light.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

The big man laughs, a hearty rumble raising from his chest. "Mr Tar! um Captain.." He realizes suddenly mayhap bein he was only a first mate, he'd better show a bit of respect "Aye the dead monkey, no bigger collection of scum n scurrily be had this side o Tortuga!" His face seems to light up at the thought.

Roberts was a man of action, though on the rare occasion he'd humored his good friend Red Cat sitting by quietly on one o those contemplative spells o hers. He found he'd even learn a thing or two. Likewise he was both good an bad influence on the adventerous lass, who seemed to be up for about anything. She even said she'd admired him ....which was summin he rerely found in his life. He began to feel quite guilty. Summat he was wholly unacustomed to. "I'll watch yer backs, I've more n a few friends thar..shouldn't be er...too much trouble"

Marcy Fyne stood all of 5' 1" and welcomed her friend into her room at

the *Fancy Parrot* "Shhh " she said brushing back a stray ringlet of her golden locks which had loosed from the topknot she wore.

"Is he out?" Red Cat inquired peering over towards a figure passed out on the bed in the corner. The figure answered with a loud snore and the two women huddled together trying to stifle giggles. "Aye Cat, he's good till late mornin I reckon..twas easier than I thought! Just a lil o that powder in his ale"

Red Cat turned back to her friend. Marcy's real surname was Darcy, but when she was a lass in school the kids teased her summin awful. So when she arrived to seek her fortune and wound up here, she changed it to Fyne..and that she was.

"Do ye have it then?" Red Cat inquired urgency in her voice. " I can na stay" She had an odd intuition and it was making her jumpy. Marcy handed her a leather wallet tied with a string. "Here..'tis all there, just as ye said it would be." Red Cat inspecting the package broke into a grin. "Aye Marcy lass I owe ye yet agin. " Marcy also produced a fat bag o coins. "E had quite a lot on im as well" she said with a demure smile belaying her true nature. The Cats eyes grew large at such a take. They spoke in hushed whispers for a moment, giggling with each snort from the corner. "I'v summin for ye" the dainty girl said. She opened a small drawer in the desk and took out a red silk ribbon. Selecting one of the braids in Cat's hair she wrapped it several times and tied it tight. "I know how ye were admirin my real silk ribbons and I want ye t have this t' remember yer friend by. I plan to flee back to France tonight before old billy boy ere wakes up." Glad at the news, Red Cat gave her friend a

smile, thanked her for the treasures large an small, and pausing a moment handed her back the coin. "I've nuthin t give ye back, so here.. that ye may travel like a lady" Marcy's eyes lit up. It had been too long since she'd even considered herself one.

"Too bad Roberts won't see ye befor ye leave. I hadn't seen him in nigh on four months but he looks well. "Aye..." Marcy said with a smile an a wink.."but I have.."

Red Cat chuckled quietly "Waall I shoulda known e'd see you first!

The dog always did have a weakness for the French ladies" They bade each other good bye and Red Cat slipped down the kitchen stairs and paused a moment, pullin her coat about her tightly

"Aye.. summin aint right" she said quietly to erself, then slipped out into the darkened streets and was gone.

Roberts claimed he had friends at the Dead Monkey, let's hope they act friendly towards us well. I grabbed Roberts' arm 'fore we entered the Dead Monkey, "Roberts, would Red Cat have come here t' settle a debt, or t' hire someone t' settle one fer her?" Roberts gave me a look and said, "Red Cat settles her own debts." I wasn't surprised by his answer, but I needed t' know.

We walked into the Dead Monkey, an I couldn't help notice how much fiercer Roberts expression became, we had brought the right dog t' the fight. The Dead Monkey was a smaller pub than I expected, an filled wit a rougher lookin' crowd of men. It was smokier, an darker than any o' my waterin' holes, but I could still make out many o' the faces watchin' us.

I slowly scanned tables, lookin' fer the Cat but didn't see her. We made our way t' the bar, an I said t' Roberts, "Mayhaps she's been here an left! Could be she ventured into another buildin' along the alleyway." Ransom seemed t' hav come t' the same conclusion, an whispered t' me, "Did you notice how much quieter it's gotten in here?" I replied, "Aye, too quiet!"

The tavern was small and dark even with candles in the iron chandeliers. The smell of rum, ale and blackpowder hung in the air. At one end was a huge stone fireplace with tankards and worn pewter plates on the mantle which ran almost the length of the wall.

The tables and benches were hewn of rough wood that had seen better days, patched probably nightly in the aftermath of one of it's infamous brawls. The walls held some shot and probably more than a few stories.

As Roberts walked in slightly ahead of Jacky an Ransom he set his jaw, steeled his eyes and seemed to grow just a bit larger. The three stood allowing their eyes to adjust to the light and looked about the room through the haze of burning tallow and pipes.

Jacky an Ransom suggested that she may have come n gone..but knowin there were a few "darker corners" where business may be conducted, Roberts suggested they stay a moment. Not too many minutes had passed when a wiry and rough lookin man knocked Roberts with his shoulder as he passed as another came up behind. The man at his back caught a shot full in the ribs as Roberts threw an elbow back and sent him to the floor. He struck the first man with a beefy fist and he flew to the planking.. he recoiled with surprising speed for the scrawny lot he was....

But Roberts were faster.

He drew his pistol and met the man's nose with the flint cocked back before he even straightened up. Stepping him back a few paces, Roberts addressed his would be assailants.

"Now yer triflin wi the wrong dog mate," he drawled..with a vicious grin "You and yer lot might ave a better chance wi the Press gangs out back" the scrawny man backed off and grabbed his friend who was still clutching bruised ribs and they hustled away. Roberts let out a loud laugh "Aye! just like old times!"

Roberts dealt wit the first assault, 'fore we even saw it comin'. He seemed t' enjoy it, an welcomed all comers. I wanted t' take point 'fore we had the whole bar against us.

I moved around Roberts, as his first assailant was retreatin'. Roberts eased back his pistol, an I readied t' draw mine, should anyone else try us.

I said t' Roberts, "We need t' find Red Cat, ye can come back later an relive ol' times!" I was glad t' see his reflexes were quick, an he hadn't lost his edge. But time was a wastin', an I'd seen enough bar fights t' know ye can't win 'em all.

Roberts might be getting a belly-laugh out of the situation, but I didn't like it one bit. It was the sort of place where a man...or woman...could get a knife in the ribs, and no one the wiser. I had my rapier out, and could almost feel the throwing knife in my bodice, waiting for an excuse to fly into some blokes neck.

I touched Jacky gently on the sleeve, not wanting to startle him and get myself shot. "I don't like this. Roberts could be leading us into a trap. I don't think Red Cat would come to a place like this alone. She's not that stupid."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg