The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

She grasped the cup with both hands and drank slowly at first. Roberts supported her back with a strong arm and she closed her eyes taking comfort in his familiar scent. Salt, rum and tobacco. It brought back memories and she felt safe. "Easy now".. he said chuckling as she spilled water, clumsily trying to drink over a swollen lip. He pulled the covers around her as it was still cold in the room, which brought his other arm to her right side where he paused for a moment. He was very close... and she recognized a certain tenderness in his movements which were usually rough, simple and full of swagger.

"Quit yer fussin!" she said suddenly, handing him the cup and grasping at the covers. She'd just realized she was naked. "I'm no babe, I kin take care o meself! "She fixed him with a squinted glare.. which looked a bit comical as her hair was a wild tangle and her lip looked a bit crooked from the swelling.."I'd ave had em all ye know!" "Bah!" She sat back in the bed wincing and grumbling from the pain..but more to cover her emotions. She wasn't sure if she wanted to cry, scream or consider Roberts ...it had been an ordeal and she felt vulnerable. Usually these were the times The Cat would retreat, sail out t' open waters until she felt an accord with things.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I set the tray down outside the door, an knocked lightly, incase Red Cat were still sleepin'. I heard footsteps, an Ransom's voice from behind the door. Good girl I thought, an replied, "Room service!"

The door opened a crack, an I bent over t' lift up the tray. When I stood, I found me self facin' a pistol, she said, "Yer late!" She lowered the pistol, an smiled, "What did you bring us?"

I entered the room, an placed the tray on the table. The tray had four bowls, an a pot o' porridge. Bacon an sausages, an a small cold kidney pie, a pot o' tea (English Breakfast, me thinks.). In my coat pockets, I had four fresh baked rolls, utensils, an a small crock o' marmalade.

"How's the patient," I said.

As Jacky entered escaping Ransom's flintlock, Roberts looked like a puppy that had just been scolded.

"Arse" Johnathan though to himself. "She thinks ye were goin fer a grab" He was really just so concerned about her, he was trying too hard. The pirate was used to being different with women and he felt awkward. She'd recently been his boss fer God's sakes. .

But when he had drawn close..just for a moment he remembered..and then it was gone.

He cursed himself fer bein stupid an clumsy. He'd explain it t' her later when they mayhap would have a chance t' speak alone. For now he could bear her ire, he was used to her fits of temper though they weren't frequent. Red Cat had a long fuse. "Aye, she's awake, n well on er way t' her old self I'd say"

Roberts grumbled the last part of the sentence a bit, accepting a roll, some meats an tea, "Thanks mate" he gave Jacky a nod.

He settled against the window sill and watched t' make sure she ate.

Wondering what had transpired in the short time he'd been gone, Jacky shot a quizzical look at Ransom.,

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

Jane headed straight for the docks, figuring that if worse came to worse, the captain’s would instinctively return to their respective ships. She wove a path through the morning market, dodging fish mongers and old women. The rough voice of hawkers filled the air as the streets filled with peddlers & buyers alike. Around the corner of one alley three thin, dirty boys raced. They jostled past a well dressed man, carrying an ornately carved, gold headed cane over his arm. Jane smiled slightly as a small hand slipped under the pocket flaps on the man’s greatcoat. Before the little thieves could disappear into the crowd Jane’s arm shot out, catching the last of the boys by the upper arm. Her fingers wrapped tightly around his boney bicep.

“’And it or lad.” She cooed, grinning slyly.

His face paled, mouth moving but no sounds coming out. She jerked him closer, nearly picking him up by the arm.

”Go on now.” Her tone sweet and motherly, green eyes stared at him unblinking.

A brow raised, daring the boy with her cavalier amusement. The other hand lifted, palm out, waiting. With a sigh the boy settled the small leather pouch into her hand. The weight of coin bounced in her hand. It was a hefty sum, especially for the amount of work. The bounty disappeared between the folds of Jane’s skirts, the boys eyes widening as he realized she had no intention of returning the money.

“Ye need practice there lad.” she batted him on the back of his black curly head as she released his arm, pushing him away. He stared after her as she continued her way without a second glance.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Jacky Tar ever the Captain had provided for them. The smell of bacon, sausages and fresh air entered the room with him. Red Cat smiled as he came over and held out various items for her. Moving carefully, she selected sausage, and a roll with marmalade . The Cat sat munching happily as Jacky fixed her tea. He knew just how she liked it.

Following his moves with her eyes as she stuffed the hot bread in her mouth, it seemed food never tasted so good. She found she was ravenous... Aye, Jacky was an intriguing man. He always seemed to know the right thing. As she wiped marmalade from her cheek with the back of one hand much to his amusement, She thought on that. Red Cat believed she'd never seen the man misstep.

Ransom was too hungry t' notice anyone watchin' her, as she was greedily devourin' some breakfast. I smiled, "Always glad t' see a gal wit' an appetite!" Wit' that remark, she slowed the shovelin', smiled an sipped some tea.

Red Cat's appetite had returned, an she to was makin' quick work o' her mornin' repast, too. I fixed her some tea, wit cream, an two lumps o' sugar. "I better look at those stitches, after breakfast. I found a gent wit' a wagon, an we may be able t' leave here today, if yer up t' it.

Roberts was the only one whom seemed dispassionate 'bout the food. Somethin', or someone, had cut him deeper than the gash in his head. "Roberts, how's the head mate?"

Roberts had stood for a while before eating. Instead, he chose to watch her. Part of him was still worried she wasn't ok. Though he knew it to be otherwise. Captain Tar asked him summin which interrupted his thoughts "Eh?"

"Yer head" he said agin "How's the stitches?"

"Fine Sir, thankee.." He stuffed down his breakfast and walked ouside pulling his clay pipe from his belt. Too many people in there. He was more comfortable alone. He lit his pipe and looked down towards the docks where nets were being hauled in and gulls were stealing from the morning's catch.

Red Cat felt a bit guilty at Roberts departure. She'd been rough on her friend. But she thought hey, he was a pirate. He took ships, killed men and sailed through his share o storms. He could take a bit o scorn from a woman. She laughed supposing he took a LOT of scorn from women knowin ol Roberts. Jacky n Ransom looked at her wondering at her sudden outburst. She just shrugged "Ow" Squeezin her eyes shut a moment she made note..ok shrugging off the list for a while..

Full and feeling better, Red Cat sipped her tea. She desperately wanted to see the wallet, to hold it's contents in her hand. But coming about she was wary and wanted only one other person in the room. She'd spied her coat draped over the only chair and the brown leather peeking out from it's inside. Cat resolved to wait until after breakfast when Jacky'd be tending t' his handiwork on her side. She needed t' talk t' him anyway..alone.

Red Cat had finished her tea, an present company was in better spirits, now that we'd eatin'. I peered out a window, an spy'd Roberts smokin' his pipe, an talkin' t' the smoke. The spirit in these women, too their credit, both delighted an vexed us men folk. I glanced over at Ransom, an thought, I should take up smokin'.

I took the Cat's tea cup, an said, "Let me look at those stitches, an then ye can get dressed." She pulled the covers up, an I removed the dressin' from her side. I looked her in the eye, "Ye are a very lucky lady, an it's remarkable how well this looks." The Cat had luck on her side again, no troublin' infection or pulled stitches, durin' the night.

I bandaged her back up, an loaded up the tray wit' the remains o' the breakfast. I tried t' look stern, an said, "Red Cat, don't try t' get out o' that bed wit' out help." I looked at Ransom, 'Will ye help dress her? I'm goin' t' see 'bout that wagon."

The tea and sauages resting happily in her stomach, Red Cat began t' feel more herself. Jacky n Ransom had told her how the events had unfolded. Ransom gushed thrugh part of the story, the fire returning to her eyes as she relived the excitement she had missed for so long. Red Cat saw the zeal for action in her expresion as she spoke, an knew for sure she'd sign on fer the treasure hunt Jacky had been tryin to recruit them to. No mater how skeptical she had been recently.

As they spoke, they left out how they'd thought she was gone before they even came up close to her, their battle one of vengence rather than rescue until they found her alive in the sand. She didn't ask about the pirate hunter. She'd seen him flee as the horses came thundering and hoped he'd be long gone.

"Aye" she said raising her teacup in place of a tankard.. "Truer mates there never were! Owe one of me nine lives to ye I do" She looked quizzical for a moment, tilting her head, biting her bottom lip and finished "I figger I'm down t' bout seven these days" Winking with a familiar grin, The Cat raised her cup agin and drained the last of the now cold tea.

Roberts had cooled his heels, he warn't one t' dwell on such nonsense anyway. He'd tucked away his pipe and replaced his scarf an hat. He turned as Jacky Tar came down th stairs pullin his coat about himself.

After exchanging nods the two men stood side by side for a time, facing the docks and watching the action thereupon. Jacky glanced at Roberts a moment. He wanted t' ask the man what had gone on in there, but as men do, he said nothing. T'wre his own business. "She's eaten an I believe we kin move her t' the pub" He said "I've arranged fer transportation just down th road ere"..

"Aye" said Roberts as he turned and walked along with Jacky Tar. He smiled to himself takin more of a likin to Captain Tar who had wisely let matters be. He was also a man who didn't have need for such talk and was more comfortable in action.

As I helped Red Cat get back into her clothes, I teased her about Roberts. "Why'd ya have to bite his head off. He's been sleeping by your bed all night, worried sick. I don't know the man, but it's plain as a pike staff that he cares a great deal for you." To make my point, I gave a little extra tug on her belt as I buckled it for her. She winced, and shot me a glare. I grinned back. "Sorry. Now, sit yourself back down and I'll get Jacky. We need ta get outta here."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

"Aye".."Roberts" was all Red Cat said in response to Ransoms persistence. Still she was touched. Johnathan was always one of the closest people she knew an trusted. They'd been through much together.

Ransom had left for a moment t' get the others, leaving her pistol at the bedside. Red Cat sat back against the pillows crossing her arms "Hmph" She'd tried to get up and go for her coat, but she still felt weak and her side pulled. She had also apparently pulled a muscle in her leg. The one without the wound. As usual, Jacky's words were true.

"Why do he always have ta be right?" She grumbled softly t' herself, her brows knit. "Vexing that man ......sometimes"

The Cat had a moment to think as she sat there alone. She was sure she'd blushed when Jacky tended to her side. He had averted his eyes and paid attention only to her stitches and dressing..but she knew he didn't fail ta notice her. He was tryin too hard not to. Well he was a man, she was nekked and he warnt dead. She shook her head smiling and laughed a little.

Ransom came back in puffing frosty breath as she closed the door.Tellin the Cat the men would be up shortly. They waited to be sure she was decent. Red Cat leaned heavily on her trying to get dressed the rest of the way, which was more work than she thought. She appreciated her friend who'd always been there and made her laugh. She could trust her as well as any. "Ransom" she started. "Be a dear an hande me me coat. "

As Ransom crossed the room she made another request "Luv, when the men return," .. she hesitated fidgeting with the button on her shirt ...how to put this carefully.

Ransom looked at her. "I need a moment with Jacky. He.." She hesitated again. It was folish to go about handing over that piece o paper. Only Roberts an her were aware of it's existence. But though she knew she'd succeed in getting what she now held tightly in her hands, fingering the fine leather and it's tie, she'd worried...had an intuition that he might be on her trail again..and apparently ..been right. So givin him the scroll weren't such a mistake.

"He has summin... summin I guv him an I need t ask fer it back, need t' explain summin" She looked her friend in the eyes. Not wanting to insult her by leaving her out and Ransom saw the pleading look Rad Cat gave her "Will ye halp me?" She asked..

There was a part of me that bristled at the thought of Jacky and Red Cat being alone together. But the look in her eyes told me it wasn't "that" kinda meeting, and that it was important. Besides, I figured I could trust Jacky, no matter what the circumstances - or, I preferred to think that I could.

"Alright, Cat, if it's that important to you. What do you want me to do?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Instantly relieved, both at being dressed and properly armed, as well as Ransom's agreement, Red Cat smiled. Aye, the lass was ok in her book.

She fixed her friend with a knowing grin. "Oi just take th big oaf fer a walk. tell I'm I need a moment. He'll be ok" Pausing a second and laughing she added "Jes mind yer backside" The women laughed and Ransom turned to go as Jenny tucked the wallet back in her coat and tried t' work some ot the tangle from her hair. Scrunching her face up as she pulled at the knots. She found the red ribbon from Marcy had survived and wondered if she was on her way to France. She also remembered the other half of that equation...

Going down the stairs, I tried to figure out how I was going to convince Roberts to take a little walk with me, and not get Jacky all riled. The two were just standing there, quiet like, although I noticed Roberts was smoking a pipe.

Deciding honesty might be the best policy here, I whispered in Jacky's ear, "Red Cat needs to see you in private. She asked me to keep Roberts occupied while you and she have a little chat. Help me out here, luv, 'cause I don't think it's going to be easy to destract him."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Jane was but a block from the docks, weaving her way down a back alley when she spotted the two men. Mr. Tar was unmistakable, he stood evenly on his feet, arms crossed behind his back with the same air of command he must use aboard his ship. The larger figure next to him was the other man from the pub, the one Jane had finally placed as Johnathan Roberts. He chewed at the broken end of a white pipe, a lackadaisical curl of smoke trailing from it's bowl. She paused in her steps, a mix of curiosity and caution preventing her from going any further. Why had those three left the pub so quickly, so quietly the night before. They had seemed like enemies at the time but now behaved as the best of friends.

Silently Jane stepped back against the rough alley walls. She perched herself carefully on top of a heavy barrel, never taking her eyes off the men. The furrow in her brow deepened as a third joined them. Ransom looked less comfortable with Roberts than Jacky did, but not nearly as she had only hours earlier. As the two captain's spoke, Jane's patience wore out. She hopped from the barrel, feet crunching as they hit the rough ground.

"Well, well, n 'ere I thought ye two 'ad gone off n caught tha hempen fever." Jane laughed, trying to hide her mistrust with mock humor. The words echoed off the walls as three heads turned to stare at her with surprise.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Roberts had re lit his pipe and stood with one foot on the cart. He chewed the end thoughtfully for a moment, as he studied somone approaching. She were a lady pirate, he noticed green eyes, set off by her pale skin as she walked briskly towards them.

Roberts moved naught but his eyes, smiling slightly, the pipe in his teeth...waiting to see what news or reaction this newcomer would bring to the small group.

I was surprised t' see Jane, from the pub, an more surprised by her boldness. She ususally waited fer someone t' recognize her first, 'fore she spoke. I said t' her, "No hempen dances, though we did have a brush wit' some thugs last night." I studied Jane's expression, t' see if she knew more 'bout our affairs. Her expression told me she didn't, but she looked concerned. Jane wasn't the sort that went lookin' fer trouble. Truth be told I thought she'd run from it, if given the chance; but she never did run.

Our wagon would be here shortly, we had already settled wit' the inn keeper, an I just had t' attend to Red Cat. "Pardon me, but I hav t' check on Red Cat." I said, an headed back t' our room, an left Ransom t' occupy Roberts an Jane.

Red Cat perched where Ransom had left her, on the edge of the bed, a few pillows behind her back. Ransom, the lass she was had left her the basin an cloth so she'd been able t' wash her face an hands. She'd managed t' work most o the knots outta her hair and the sand outta her clothes. Her shoulders ached a bit from all the effort an she was gettin cross waitin. "Right.., I kin nil walk on me own right now so ye jus leaves th' Cat settin up here like a dang pot on a shelf.... Damn pirates"..

She considered chuckin summin at the door in anger when it opened... Red Cat set the cup down quickly, glad she hadn't nearly taken his head off. Roberts mighta known th mood she'd be in an ducked, but she doubted Jacky'd do anything but trust her.

"That would be a fine thing ta do " she thought as he walked in, "Here he is goin ta all this effort an I take is head off wi 'a china cup...and it isn't even good china" the last part of the thought made her smile the little lopsided smile which lent people t' think her a bit odd at times. She looked up at Jacky as he came over n sat next t' her.

"Ransom said ye wanted t' see me?" I pulled the small scroll from me pocket, an said, "It wouldn't be 'bout this?" I was careful t' keep it out o' her reach. I searched her eyes fer any reaction, she knew I would, but I saw her eye it.

"Trade a little information fer it, mayhaps? Care t' tell me who would send three thugs, t' catch one Cat? Or, wot's on this here scroll, that ye left it wit ol' Jacky, lest someone take it from ye?

The devilish grin on Jacky's face complimented the mischief in his eyes, an Red Cat found it distractin as he held the scroll jest outta reach.

She couldna resist such situations..ye never knew where they'd end up. ....An that were th fun of it.

She eyed him with a smile. "Now Jacky, ye don't play fair luv... " she said softly "How do I know ye didn't open it afore I go waggin on about me affairs?"

She leant forward a bit to gauge if she'd be able t' snatch the item from him.

I pushed me chair back, a bit, an said, "Ye don't know. But if I hav t' ask, than I haven't read it." Not sure she's buyin' wot ol' Jacky is sellin', so I said, "Course I could break the seal right now, an read it. But that might not answer me first question." And I added, "If ye lunge fer it, ye might get it an ye might not. If ye try, an open up yer side, I might be able t' find more catgut t' stitch ye back up an might not!"

Red Cat didn't hav much of a poker face, an she looked damn cute when she tried t' put one on. I had a little more t' tease her wit', an pulled her wallet from inside my coat; the very same one she was so worried 'bout, when we found her. "Course wot I really want t' open is this wallet!" A look o' panic spread across her face.

The Cat's eyes widened for nary more n' a second or two...

Then she regained her sly composure. How did he get the wallet!? She realized he be settin on the chair her coat was on.

Enjoying the challenge, she tried to keep her expression that of little concern, but wasn't doing so well judging by the amused look in his eyes..

This was going to take some work..

"Sooo ye be bribin th Red Cat then aye..?" she cooed.

She fixed him wi a look an leaned back as if she no longer cared for the items "Yer a brave man .. tis not easy t' overcome Tha Cat.."

His smile broadened and she got distracted agin... Damn.

She thought quickly, the urge to grab for the papers despite his taunting, was pulling at her. "So....ye may win an ye may not...." said she still holdin his merry gaze.

Then she leant forward agin t' press him a bit, mischief reflected in her own eyes "I know what's in it fer me if'n ye lose... but if I win..."What's in it fer me?"

As she spoke, Red Cat wondered if he'd notice her hand inching slowly...

Out front, Roberts stood by, rocking on his heels with his hands behind his back as was his habit sometimes. He listened to the two women who obviously knew each other well.. converse. As he took in their differences in appearance, he enjoyed their lively exchange.

False Ransom once again relayed the story of the night before. Of the Dead Monkey, The Fancy Parrot, Silas and the attack. Jane eyed the silent pirate as Ransom explained he'd been face down in the sand. The victim of a nervous horse and an unfortunately placed rock. Despite his appearance, she'd have thought him a coward or an opportunist if it weren't for the fresh wound on his head peeking out from just below his scarf an hat. Roberts bristled a bit not likin bein judged so by two women...even if they be pirates like he. Specially in front of him.

But they went on, catching up on this n that. Roberts explained that Red Cat had a matter of importance to discuss wi Jacky, an bein as it would take a while, he suggested they walk along the dock and see what opportunity might perhaps present itself for later "speculation" as he put it. Plus...he fancied the image of himself walkin along accompanied by two such comely lasses, an hoped they'd happen upon sumone he knew.

He needed to know a bit more about Jane anyhow. He figured watchin the two women talk would tell him what he needed to know. Roberts was a pretty savy judge of people and had learn't from Red Cat that listening quietly sometiimes provided more plunder in information than his usual rather direct method of gathering what he wanted t' know.