The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

"The beast that is said t' guard the treasure is largarto grande, a big nasty meat eatin' lizard (that's accordin' t' the Spanish). The waters leadin' t' the landin' are filled wit' man eatin' sharks. The swamps are filled wit' large snakes an other nasty beasts, an the land we must cross over is swarmin' wit' half naked savages. I'm sure the treasure is probably booby-trapped, too. Never saw the Dutchman fly, but it's possible he was very old, an well preserved." I pause, take a breath an look Ransom squarely in the eyes, "No mythical beasts, wots so ever! So, yer in, right?"

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"T'would hav ta be quite a treasure ta risk all that"

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Red Cat pauses to give thought to the possibilities of such bounty..after all they had risked plenty on the last trip..

Turnin to the other she says "Oi, we'd need supplies, rum, a small crew and a proper map" ticking off the items on her fingers, she looks for signs of interest in the others "Who's for it then?"

"The beast that is said t' guard the treasure is largarto grande, a big nasty meat eatin' lizard (that's accordin' t' the Spanish). The waters leadin' t' the landin' are filled wit' man eatin' sharks. The swamps are filled wit' large snakes an other nasty beasts, an the land we must cross over is swarmin' wit' half naked savages. I'm sure the treasure is probably booby-trapped, too. Never saw the Dutchman fly, but it's possible he was very old, an well preserved." I pause, take a breath an look Ransom squarely in the eyes, "No mythical beasts, wots so ever! So, yer in, right?"

"Ohhhh, is THAT all? Just a few savages and a lot of flesh-eating animals. All for a treasure some geriatric Dutchman babbled on about in his delierium? And that Legarto Grande sounds pretty mythological to me."

I turn to Red Cat. "Are you really thinking about looking for this Spanish gold? I mean, not to put too fine a point on it, but, if this treasure was just sitting out there waiting for some nosey pirates to find it, how come no one has come back with any before now? Maybe all them as tried ended up Lagarto snacks — except for this Dutchman, of course."

I was willing to play devils advocate, if only to see how determined the rest of the swabs were on getting this so-called treasure. Give me a nice fat galleon bursting at the seams with loot, and I'd be on her in a trice. Clean, easy, and no beasties to deal with. This adventure was something totally different.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I look at Ransom, "Aye, I know yer still waitin' fer yer ship t' come in, luv. Not many treasure fleets about these days! Even if there were one, I doubt yer little schooner be a match fer a Spanish galleon!"

I stand an make sure I'm clear of Ransom's sword arm. "Course yer a handsome lass, perhaps ye might board one fer a night, in disguise." Me thinks, even a soft headed Spanish captain won't let a pirate come aboard.

As fer swamp beasties, "I've seen the smaller, four or five foot long, legartos. The creoles call 'em gators. I've eaten one, an I don't intend t' return the favor."

The 'Grande' is suppose t' be over 20 feet long, 'course the Spanish do exaggerate from time t' time!

The Cat's eyes have already begun ta glaze over, an not jus due t' the rum.. she be makin plans, playin out scenarios in her head..

Galleons.. Silver Cobs, Spanish Gold............

Legartos.

"Damn whars Mr. Montoya when ye needs im? He be a Spaniard no? He would be a benefit on such a journey 'r mayhap he kin shed sum light on yer story Mr. Tar...

In tha meanwhile what ye be thinkin as far as a plan... aye?" :unsure::ph34r:

I step up to Jacky, my eyes shooting sparks. "Ya can say what you like about me, make jokes about me sneeking onto Spanish ships, and the like, but NEVER make fun of the Rakehell! No, she's no fat-bellied galleon wallowing around like a log in a puddle. I can sail rings around um before they can fire a shot. Mostly they see me flag, and they gives up! So, no more comments about my "little schooner", Sir!

I walk off in a huff to the bar, and order a shot of Tattoo, muttering to myself, "Little schooner, humph, the nerve..."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Red Cat been makin little shapes and scenes on the table wi dice, matchsticks an the like speakin softly t' her self and plannin...

She looks up as Ransom gits up t' go summere

"Eh?"

Jacky heaves a familiar sigh an she rolls her eyes

"Aw Jacky.. what'd ye say to er now? Ye know how she gets about er ship"

Poor Jacky looks a bit crestfallen. :unsure: Cat shoots a look towards th bar where Ray be payin the lass attention ta make her smile as he fills her cup.

"Don't worry mate, she'll be back :ph34r: ...now...about those Galleons..." :ph34r:

I knew that Red Cat were right, but I walked over t' the bar, anyway. "Ray a bottle of champagne t' finish Ransom's drink." I turn t' Ransom, "Yer a fine captain, an the Rakehell is a fast ship. Shall we drink t' the Rakehell?"

No captain refuses a toast t' their ship. Ransom lifts her glass, downs the champagne, an tosses the glass into the fire place. She picks up another glass, an Ray starts a glass count. Damn, if she'd only drink champagne out of a tankard!

My purse lighter, an Ransom's feathers smoothed a bit, I return to Red Cat's table. I says, "That went better than I expected." She just shakes her head, goes back t' plannin', an we discuss Spanish galleons.

As drinkin, dicin and discussin are goin on about th pub.. no one notices

a stocky pirate enter. He's not fat but brawny, with a cheerful

face and a sealegged step. He wears a slightly ragged version of a

regular sailors clothes with a fancy coat thrown over the top..it's a bit

big, and obviously had a previous owner. From the looks of it some unfortunate officer perhaps. A scarf holds back thick and wavy dark hair from his tanned and windburned face. Eyes dart about from above a beard, moustache and a firmly set mouth. Which pulls into a slightly lopsided smile as he spots his boss deep in discussion with the man they call Jacky Tar. He's heard o Jacky respected, feared and a good Captain. Least thats how she spoke of im.

He approaches the table behind Red Cat and clears his throat as not t' startle her.. but she already knowed he was there.. The Cat don't miss much.

A broad smile hits her face an she stand suddenly.. Mr. Roberts is

wise enough t step back..aye he knows her well an wasn't too sure she

knew it was he what stood so close wi' out announcin imself.

Jacky appears calm but has his flintlock pointed at the man from unner

th table and eyes th big man wi suspicion.

"Roberts! RedCat whirls about an give the man a hug which makes him

look uncomfortable for a moment. I thought ye might be along about

now.."

Johnathan Roberts, glancin over her shoulder at Jackys resolutely calm face says "ere now ye might introduce me t' the fellow who's got yer back" Smart man Roberts was, or just used to folk bein either protective or nervous when the Cat be about.

She grabs him by the arm and pulls him a bit closer t th table his eyes

Still on Jacky's unseen hand.

"Oi Jacky, ye can relax mate," she says with a chuckle at Roberts eyes

bein a bit wide "John he won't hurt ye".. "Jacky luv, this be me goode friend and one time first mate Johnathan Roberts. "Johnathan, Mr...er Captain Tar."

The two exchange a handshake and RedCat excuses herself a moment t'

speak wi her colleague in hushed tones a few feet away.. walkin together, they make a pair ..lookin two battle worn shipmates wearing a slight swagger an the glow of adventures past..

Mid conversation he hands her a rolled piece o parchment sealed in wax and tied with a gold braid. They have what appears to be a brief yet animated ....disagreement... followed by him laughin heartily at summat she said. The two walk to the bar, knock back a drink and he throws an arm about her shoulder lookin back at Jacky over his own before he gives her a brief squeeze an leaves the pub again.

She stands at the bar for a moment one boot on the rail... while

she chews thoughtfully on a parrot drink stirrer.. slammin some coin on the dark shiny wood, thankin Ray, she walks briskly t' Jackys table.

"Thar's been a....developement.. I must away but u'll be back this

afternoon.. r at least by nightfall"

"If I'm not..." she fixes his eyes with an intensely serious stare.. "Open this.. but only then" She hands him a second rolled parchment, smaller that the first, pulled from deep in her coat.

"Slan!" She turns briskly her coat playing out behind her, yanks her hat down a bit in the front and storms from the pub one hand on the hilt of her hanger. B)

I perk up at the entrance of the mysterious friend of Red Cats. I perk up even more, when I see the heated discussion and exchange of rolled parchments. I'm surprised when she scoots out of the Pub, leaving Jacky with one of the parchments.

I take a sip of champagne (after promising Ray I won't throw any more glasses) and ponder these new developments, thinking, "What's the Cat gotten herself into this time?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

The sun is settin' an still no sign o' the Cat. I should have invited me self along, she looked like she were headin' t' a fight. Why didn't Mister Roberts wait fer her? I've more questions, than answers. Oh! How I hate waitin'.

I finger the seal on the scroll, and prepare t' break it...

Hang on a minute mate..."

A gruff voice accompanies the hand upon Jacky's shoulder. Roberts figured Tar was a bit less impulsive and took a chance on a shot in the gut.

Jacky Tar immediately looked past Roberts to the door but the Cat were no where in sight.. Even Ransom leaned out from her perch on th bar expectin her friend ta walk, bounce, stumble or othwerwise swagger in...

"Wot's this!" Jacky grabbed the man by the lapel and drew himself near. "Whar is she?!"he demanded.

Roberts shook himself loose, glanced back at Ransom ta make sure she hadn't already drawn a weapon, and the turned his attention to Jacky.

Satisfied his back was safe for the moment, he beckoned the pirate towards a corner table.. "Don't open that note jest yet Mr Tar" The other man said with a tone that suggested this hadn't been the first time..

Let me tell ya a story.,,,

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

Roberts tells the tale of sailin' under Red Cat, as captain. He seems t' genuinely admire her, an I'm not surprised. I was surprised she had no ship now, but he implied she was in the market fer one. I replied, "I suppose I better double the watch aboard the Relentless then!" He didn't smile, except when he spoke about the Cat.

"Where is Red Cat, an why did she leave here grippin' her sword hilt?" Mister Roberts seemed t' be at a loss t' answer these questions. Why did she leave us in the dark, when she might be at risk? I liked Roberts, he spoke straight an seemed loyal t' someone I cared about. I would still watch my back around him, until he showed me good cause t' trust him, too.

Since the treasure hunters had returned to the Pub, Jane had contented herself to sit at the far end of the bar sipping hot tea grog and listening in on the little snippets of conversation between the others. Mr. Tar's little story was an interesting one, though how much truth was behind it was questionable. While the other's fell to plotting and politicking, Jane fell to self protective skepticism. She couldn't help but wonder just how long their little group had until greed & ambition began to crack their friendly exteriors. Jane was reminded of a saying she'd heard once but never really understood until now.

"Too many captains, never enough crew." Her nose wrinkled at the idea as well as the empty mug before her. Gesturing to Ray for a refresher, green eyes took the opportunity to glance first to Ransom, then to Mr. Tar and then, now where did Red Cat wander off to? Who is that terrible familiar fellow whispering to Jacky and glancing around anxiously?

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Roberts wisely made that he didn't have all the answers. He knew who Mr. Tar was, and that RedCat spoke well of him. But he didn't know the man personally. Since he hadn't seen her in nigh on four months he wanted to be sure of those whose circle she now travelled in. Bein a bit too trustin at times and a little on the ..different side at others, he knew she made wise choices in friends but HE was more wary by nature and worried one day she may slip up.

After two hours and twice as much in bottles, Johnathan Roberts felt it safe to reveal some of what he knew.

Mayhap it was to calm his own nerves as well..She was mad as a hellcat when she 'd spoken to him and though they laughed it off before he left, he knew that look in her eyes.. she could be damnably as unpredictable as she was amusing..which usually meant trouble.

I decided t' pocket the scroll an await Red Cat's return. As fer Mister Roberts, he luv'd the bottle a bit much fer my tastes; but many sailors did.

I knew the first leg o' the journey would take us t' the Dry Tortugas. 'Fore I put any ship an crew at risk, I had t' prove the dutchman's story 'bout the wrecks, t' be more than a tale.

Seeing Mr. Tar took his advice made Roberts more comfortable and he sat for awhile seemin ta study the knots in the table. Was he asleep? Jacky wondered for a moment...some people passed clean out wi their eyes open..

Then as quicky the man spoke up... "Mate, I could tell ya stories.." he looked off into the distance for a moment "That Red Cat be one of a kynde" Sobering for a moment, he said "but that is for another time.."

"Aye, I believe she'll be back in a while, and probably in none too goode of a mood." This was accompanied by the uncomfortable expression of a

man familiar witha woman's scorn.

" Ye see she has troubles she warn't aware of....thats....w..why I come ta tell........"

His voice trailed off as a dark and lusty Spanish wench sailed across the room throwing a {come hither} look in his direction..

I moved to sit next to CrazyChole. She seemed to be as sceptical of this new venture as I was. "What do you think of this tale of Jacky's, of Spanish gold and giant legartos? I'm also kinda worried about Red Cat. It's not like her to bolt out without saying anything." I glance over my shoulder at Jacky head to head with Mr. Roberts. "And the sudden appearence of this new fellow is just a bit fishy, if you ask me."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"I think," Jane started before turning away from Ransom.

She stared into her mug, swirling the dark liquid contemplatively. To tell the other lady her concerns or not? Part of her wanted to just list off every problem she saw with the venture and be done with it, the other part wanted to stay silent in case nothing happened. Jane's blond head tipped to the side, a quick glance cast at Mr. Tar & his fast fading companion. She could just barely make out the man's rum slurred voice. The sound tugged at the corners of her memory but nothing solid came of it. Pink lips pursed in annoyance.

"I think I've seen tha man before." She finally answered Ransom "I'd almost swear on't."

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I glanced at the stranger again. His words were getting that slushy sound one gets when rum numbs the brain. "I've never seen him before, but...I don't know. He says he's a friend of Red Cats, but why'd he let her go off by herself?"

I shake my head, pondering the situation. It didn't help that Jacky and I were a bit at odds with each other at the moment. I turned to Jane again. "Look, I don't want to jump into anything without knowing the risks. If you can remember who this Roberts is, then maybe that might shed some light on what is going on."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Roberts happily losing his battle to stay sober, is brought around by the smell of...perfume?..or is it salsa?

As he adjusts his bleary eyes tryin ta remember that he was about ta tell Jacky Tar summin important..he spies two big pools of brown staring at him!

He removes his hat and makes a small attempt at standing for the lady, but being a rather big man, nothing he does is small. The table moves noisily back as his knee comes in contact with it so he sorta leans an then sets back heavily on the bench. Jacky's got a look of frustrated amusement crossin his face.

"Evenin sennnnorita" "ow!" while he struggles to find something intriguing to say, his gaze begins ta lower (by accident) thinking of a quick save he says with a flourish "usted es una mujer misteriosa y hermosa" surprising everyone in the place.