ANNOUNCEMENTS

I spelled "ANNOUNCEMENTS" wrong. Drat.

I just got off the phone with Harry at Fort Zachary Taylor and I have good news and good news.

Camping in the Fort: The good news is that anyone travelling to the fort may set up camp on Wednesday, November 29th, the day before the festival begins. We are allowed to stay within the fort walls through Monday. This gives us five nights in the fort.

I highly recommend that we try and arrive on Wednesday to coordinate our encampments and activities within the fort. The fort is willing to give us a lot of elbow room. They want this to develop into a true historical gathering.

Safety Officers: Those encampment members that have volunteered to be safety officers (i.e., Cascabel, Hawkyns, Callenish Gunner, etc.) are encouraged to coordinate with Harry Smid at Fort Zachary Taylor either before or after you arrive at the festival. Harry will be handling the powder magazine for the fort, but he is more than welcome to have additional safety officers at each stage of the event. People wishing to bring their own powder may do so, but Harry should be made aware of this.

Vendors: Anyone wishing to be a vendor at the festival should also contact Harry Smid at the Fort for information. You should be warned that Harry wants this even to be more historical and he will not be allowing any "Fairy Stuff" as he puts it.

Redcoats: Anyone wishing to bring uniforms to the event will be allowed to play soldiers during some or all of the reenactments.

Shipping Goods: More good news... Anyone who wishes to ship goods to the fort, may send them ahead of time to be stored until you arrive. If you are nervous about traveling with weapons or valuables, you may ship them to the fort by UPS for storage.

More to come as decisions are made at the fort.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

They want this to develop into a true historical gathering.

That's pretty cool news. What sort of standards are being written for attendees regarding clothing, etc.? And how will they be enforced?

And I beg your pardon if this has been asked before, I tend to not pay too much attention to PiP stuff.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Vendors: Anyone wishing to be a vendor at the festival should also contact Harry Smid at the Fort for information. You should be warned that Harry wants this even to be more historical and he will not be allowing any "Fairy Stuff" as he puts it.

There is a form at http://piratesinparadise.com/vendors/form.html for vendors to fill out and send to Harry.

As for the answer to Blackjohn, there is no requirements for costumes during the festival itself, which takes place at the fort and in town. The camp folks I would imagine will want some standards for their area. But the actual festival is open to all - it is a public event after all.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

As for the answer to Blackjohn, there is no requirements for costumes during the festival itself, which takes place at the fort and in town. The camp folks I would imagine will want some standards for their area. But the actual festival is open to all - it is a public event after all.

-- Hurricane

Exactly.

Harry wants PIP to develop into a true historical event. In his own words, he does not want a "fairy festival". He wants to see period costume, but the general public is invited to attend, so there will be a mix of modern and ancient.

Exactly. 

Harry wants PIP to develop into a true historical event.  In his own words, he does not want a "fairy festival".  He wants to see period costume, but the general public is invited to attend, so there will be a mix of modern and ancient.

I think you're forgetting that the festival extends far beyond the fort. That is just one aspect. There is a cultural and arts component, events in town, the end of Hurricane party which is a Tourism supported event, our National Walk the Plank Championships and other things that aren't of interest to the hard core campers at the fort. So there is always a vast mixture, from entirely play pirates to the period types.

As one of the event's organizers, I can assure you that at least the off fort events are for anyone and everyone wanting to explore the pirate within them.

I think the fort additions are great, but they are just one part of the whole event there.

Check out the schedule of events and you may be surprised what else is happening during the festival.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Understood about the mix when the public is there. Is it possible, though, to have standards and even (gasp) jurying for those who want to live in the fort?

Hawkyns

:rolleyes:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

excellent news lad ....i am making arrangements to be there by late wednesday since i have to drive down from pennsylvania i will fill out and send in the vendor application to harry probably this next week with some photos of the type items that i intend to sell ....HOT DAMN!!!

I think you're forgetting that the festival extends far beyond the fort. That is just one aspect. There is a cultural and arts component, events in town, the end of Hurricane party which is a Tourism supported event, our National Walk the Plank Championships and other things that aren't of interest to the hard core campers at the fort. So there is always a vast mixture, from entirely play pirates to the period types.

As one of the event's organizers, I can assure you that at least the off fort events are for anyone and everyone wanting to explore the pirate within them.

I think the fort additions are great, but they are just one part of the whole event there.

Check out the schedule of events and you may be surprised what else is happening during the festival.

-- Hurricane

It is not my intention to be misleading. The festival does have events outside of the fort.

I spelled "ANNOUNCEMENTS" wrong.  Drat.

I tried to get your back on that one, mate. It appears my superpowers can only go so far. ;)

Mad Jack - in this topic, go to the lower left hand corner of the screen where there's a pull-down box titled "Moderation Options." The fifth one down in the pull down menu should be "Edit Topic Title."

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Would I be wrong in assuming this thread is for those who wish to be inside the fort?

This is for any announcements concerning PIP. It might end up a little redundant, given the fact the PIP has its own website, but there are details we might cover which are not given to the general public.

Even so, if someone comes here looking for the general schedule they should go to: http://www.piratesinparadise.com/

• 2 weeks later...
Mad Jack - in this topic, go to the lower left hand corner of the screen where there's a pull-down box titled "Moderation Options." The fifth one down in the pull down menu should be "Edit Topic Title."

Thanks! I'll eventually learn all this stuff. :(

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

william , do you know if harry will allow us to have open ground fires to cook upon and to warm our toddys.

Yes. We had a fire last year. They allowed us to dig up the sod and build a fire pit. We went the extra mile and kept the sod set aside and placed it back over the hole when we were finished. Harry said it filled back in so well they couldn't find the fire pit later on. The fort provided firewood as well.

We will probably have two or three fire pits spread out along the line of encampments.

And thanks, Jack, for fixing the thread title.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to figure out all the different ways to get my musket, cutlass and pistol to PiP...

make a really strong shipping box and...

Check in with the airline... but they can get kinda "rough" with lugage....

or

Ship it.... but I'm wondering about how to get it shipped out after PiP is over....

I still have plenty of time to figure this out, but any other ideas would help.....

It may be hard to believe, but I'm sure Key West has a UPS/FEDEX or USPS somewhere on the island. Or you could entrust the shipping to one of your Pyrate friends. I'll ship it to you ...eventually.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I'm sure Key West has a UPS/FEDEX or USPS

Well I kinda knew that..... someone told me that they even had a post office there..... ;)

I just have to figure the time and location etc... if I want to ship something instead of flying with it....... alla that logistical stuff........... ;)

I'm trying to figure out all the different ways to get my musket, cutlass and pistol to PiP...

make a really strong shipping box and...

Check in with the airline... but they can get kinda "rough" with lugage....

or

Ship it.... but I'm wondering about how to get it shipped out after PiP is over....

I still have plenty of time to figure this out, but any other ideas would help.....

Harry said that any reenactors may ship their items ahead and they will store them for PIP. Tents, costumes, the whole bit. I would recommend sending them certified mail and contacting Harry at the fort before shipping, but he has volunteered the storage of items each and every time I have spoken with him.

When I take the gear out of town I just put it in a large cardboad shipping box, packed with bubble wrap and reinforced with duct tape. It works great - guns, cutlasses and such. When we traveled to Puerto Rico we shoved 45 pounds of cutlasses, flintlocks and other piratephenalia and it arrived just fine there.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

The year befor last, I made a case for my cutlass and pistol out of 2x4s and 1/4 inch masonite.... when I got back from PiP, the airline baggage handlers were able to punch a hole through the side of it.... That old Samsonite comercial with the gorilla keeps poping into mind...

I will be bringing my musket this year, so I think I will make the case out of 1/2 inch pine boards.... I just don't want it to get too heavy, But most importantly, I don't want my musket broken by the baggage handelers.....

That is why I'm kinda thinking of shipping it....