POTC 2 Questions

Jib

Okay, I saw POTC 2 and had good time but there was A LOT OF STUFF GOING ON IN THAT MOVIE. I fear I've missed a few things. If you have ideas or answers on these topics let me hear you.

And if you worked on the movie I'd love to hear your insights.

First, what/ was that creepy place from which Jack escaped via the coffin? Oddly, why are they throwing coffins in the ocean instead of just wrapping the dead in a section of bed linen with a big rock to sink them?

I assmused that Jack was moving toward the goal of deadmans chest before he was visited by Bootstrap. What do you think?

Monkey steals coin at the end of POTC and monkey is now undead. Where is the coin?

Weasel-like offical of the East India Trade Company has power over Port Royal how? And I understand he was the man who branded Jack but what did Jack do to him?

What happens to Davy Jones' crew when they finish serving time aboard the Flying Dutchman? Maybe no one has ever lived to tell the tale.

Jack stole a ring from Tia Dalma and is wearing it opn his thumb correct? And it resembles the music box that Davey Jones has?

Will sees Jack and Elizabeth kiss and yet does nothing when she gets in the boat. Is this resolved, I think no since he didn't seem to eager at Tia Dalma's vodoo lair?

Let hear your ideas...

First, what/ was that creepy place from which Jack escaped via the coffin? Oddly, why are they throwing coffins in the ocean instead of just wrapping the dead in a section of bed linen with a big rock to sink them?

Prison (see 3rd movie)

I assmused that Jack was moving toward the goal of deadmans chest before he was visited by Bootstrap. What do you think?

He was but that gave him a real push.

Monkey steals coin at the end of POTC and monkey is now undead. Where is the coin?

See 3rd movie

Weasel-like offical of the East India Trade Company has power over Port Royal how? And I understand he was the man who branded Jack but what did Jack do to him?

See 3rd movie

What happens to Davy Jones' crew when they finish serving time aboard the Flying Dutchman? Maybe no one has ever lived to tell the tale.

They become a part of the Flying Dutchman. (Remember the guy stuck to the planks?)

Jack stole a ring from Tia Dalma and is wearing it opn his thumb correct? And it resembles the music box that Davey Jones has?

No... see 3rd movie

Will sees Jack and Elizabeth kiss and yet does nothing when she gets in the boat. Is this resolved, I think no since he didn't seem to eager at Tia Dalma's vodoo lair?

No, it's not resolved not will it be until the 3rd movie.

Sorry to be a broken record but you've lived up to Ted and Terry's expectation. They WANT people to wonder what these things are... So they will come back for the 3rd movie. s

See, there is a down side to working for teh Studio that made the movie. I already know all the surprise you all still have coming! :ph34r:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Oh Oh Let me try....but I don't work for Disney.

A. Turkish Prison [that's what it's called on the official POTC website]

B. Because it wouldn't have been as funny if Jack shot the bird through linen.

Well, the Isle de Muerta sank to the depths of the ocean. How else can you bring it back to the surface unless you can control the seas through the heart of Davy Jones.

He gave it to Barbossa to raise him from the dead. Barbossa was eating an apple. He returned the coin to the chest. The monkey took the coin again

My guess is that Beckett is a unic, courtesy of Jack.

Like Iron Bess said, they became part of the ship. No one, except Jack, ever lived to get off the ship.

No, the necklace next to the dragon ring is the same as the music box and the lock on the chest.

Of course not, that's the biggest cliff hanger. Do you still like Elizabeth Swann after she double crossed both Captain Jack and Will Turner? Let the polling begin!

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

My guess is that Beckett is a unic, courtesy of Jack.

Eunich.

But I would think Beckett doesn't like Jack on the basis of... pirate. The Potc Visual Companion and the movie refer to him as being part of the East Indian. They hated pirates because... well pirates were always raiding their ships. Remember Kidd?

I love how people demand immediate answers for a movie that won't hit until next September. Instead I would rather learn about the return to Isla de la Muerta, the Hurricane, and other like events that happed between 1 and 2 that are referenced in 2.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

;)

Oh, the questions.

Aye... some people are indeed impatient and are bitching about it... claiming to be lost, etc.

But as Bess pointed out to me before when asking how the devil Tia got Barbossa's body so she could raise him up and a couple other things... she did mention it will all be in the 3rd film.

I am resigned to enjoy Dead Man's Chest and deduce some clues to a conclusion... such as the hurricane (which haven't a clue why the hurricane other than it happened whilst Jack was searching for the question to his Davy Jones trouble by searching for the Key... and the sinking of the Isla de la Muerta is such a trouble to folks along with a few other things which to me appear totally spelled out).

It's how Tia got Barbossa's body, and how she got the other Davy Jones pendent/locket.

I think a couple people I know felt rather bewildered and thought the intro for Jack in DMC was dumb and made no sense as to why he was searching for the key. ::Rolle eyes:: This IS a fast movie and Jack is a fast man... his mind runs a million leagues an hour!

The Isla... well, I can just attempt to figure out that it had an issue... since it's a volcanic isle. "The Mysterious Cities of Gold" animated series had a couple instances where the cities and the treasure within them were swallowed up and destroyed. None too difficult to believe.

Imagination and deducing... use it!

I found the film rather easy to follow. Fast.. but easy to follow.

It's when I've seen #3 and I don't find the answers that I will be asking the questions. Such as who was this Lady Love of Davy Jones.

I beg and pray that Davy Jones won't remain in the enslavement of Beckett... feeling painful love lost would be FAR better than to be controlled by a power-hungry and greedy mortal like Beckett.

See, there is a down side to working for teh Studio that made the movie. I already know all the surprise you all still have coming!

I know! And it's killing me! :)

OK.. not really. :) But I am eager for the 3rd film.

But I would think Beckett doesn't like Jack on the basis of... pirate. The Potc Visual Companion and the movie refer to him as being part of the East Indian. They hated pirates because... well pirates were always raiding their ships.

And in return why I hate the East India Company.

Hard to describe. Must be a past life run in... but have a buried deep annoyance and loathing for this old corporation of the era.

Either way... I am looking forward to seeing more of what becomes of Davy Jones.

Seeing Elizabeth and Will teaming up with Barbossa.

Hell... Davy Jones and Barbossa in the same film... FANTASTIC!

I do agree with whoever said earlier in another thread... I'd love to see Davy Jones and Elizabeth come face to face.... to see Jones' reaction to the heroine.

I find the sight of Elizabeth's other gold gown being claimed by the sea a fantastic one. ;) First the Ceremony gown in the 1st now her wedding gown. Will that wedding gown appear in the 3rd one?

Ahhh... Bess! This will drive me nuts.. but I suppose I can wait 10 months. Considering waited for 2 years for Dead Man's Chest. ;)

I just pray ol' Davy Jones is released from Beckett's hold. I'm gonna love watching Will and Elizabeth around Barbossa... considering they were a part of his demise. ;)

Oh! Will there be another major female character presence besides Elizabeth and Tia Dalma?

Hehehe... yes, filled with questions.. but I can remain silent until metioned date next year.

Granted the 3rd will be out a couple weekends after my Bday... I can live with that. The wild part is... that the 3rd will be released the weekend before Port Washington Pirate Festival! Oh, what a riot!

What do they plan to do with the Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman, Bess? I pray they won't just scrap the 2 vessels. Putting that much time, effort and money into building them both... I would see it a waste to have those 2 completely dismantled. They should be added onto and made into full fledged sailing vessels... just like the Bounty, Lady Washington, Rose, etc

:::HUGE grinz::: Tis a pity they can't be sailed to various locales. Would be awesome to set foot upon the deck of either vessel. :)

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

[...]

In fact the identity and origin of the Voodoo Queen [Tia Dalma] seems to raise most of my curiosity. She was obviously [in her capacity as "pirate movie voodoo queen"] the means of raising Barbossa, and likely the hat [found by Jack during the first visit] and the monkey [and its coin?] likely played a role in her crafting his return.

As noted above, 'tis not the _ring_ Jack steals, but rather the pendant on the necklace next it, being apparently identical [or at least oddly similar] to the music-box pendant sitting on Jones' organ.... My own pet theory is that Tia Dalma is that "woman as changing as the sea" from her version of the story. But we'll see.

Overall, parts of this film were slightly better than the first film, parts of it were worse, but it averages out as almost as good as the first movie, in my mind. Fun.

One other fact that seems to escape general attention from fans when they discuss they whys and wherefores is that a great deal always ends up ont he cutting room floor.

They had an entire sequence about the prison, Jack IN the prison AND the escape of Pintel, Regetti and chopper but... *snip snip*

So many things folks are intereested in may always go unanswered or may end up as an aside in the 3rd movie.

Never give up hope :

There is always the DIRECTORS CUT DVD!! ph34r:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Deleting scenes is the hardest job for any filmmaker I'd imagine. Watching the first movie on the dvd with the deleted scenes makes for a MUCH better film. It's so sad when you see some of the great stuff that gets cut.

The frustrating thing I guess about the lost Keep scenes from DMC is that we never get to learn just WHERE that place is, WHO runs it, WHO The prisoners are, WHY Jack knew he could find that key sketch there, etc. I suppose it could an private "Guantanamo" for the EIC.

Why use coffins when tossing the dead into the briny deep? Maybe it somehow blocks their bodies from being claimed by any number of nautical curses/supernatural circumstances that would allow the dead to arise? Or maybe it was solely for the visual coolness of it to give Jack a grand entrance.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

I think the coffin played well into the two-part pun of "Dead Man's Chets".

Traditionally, "dead man's chest" was slang for a coffin. But the crux of the movie's quest was what came from a dead man's chest (Davey Jones'), a still-beating heart. Pretty sly, in my book. :)

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

"Anastasia"? Good question! It may well be a variation on that melody. Are there any Slavic music majors in the house? I've only dealt with late Russian pieces.

I just replayed the soundtrack recording, and it's striking how the tune goes from the delicate and intensely sad Slavic melody to the ever-increasingly angry melody played by Jones on the organ. It spirals outward and upward, carried by the orchestral accompinament, to painful heights, underscoring the abysmal sorrow Jones feels for his lost love. You can hear the pulse of his heart thoughout the latter portions of the piece, perfectly illustrating what a tragic character Jones really is, so desperate to feel anything, but all he can feel is pain and rage. It condenses back to the small, lonely tune played by the locket, intensifying the sadness of the piece. Most unsettling is the ominous chord that resonates softly under the melody of the music box.

That's where his heart really is. The locket, and her memory.

I can only hope that they will include the deleted scenes on the DVD. I found the deleted bits from POTC 1 very nice and helped create even more depth (my fave was when Elizabeth asks Jack if the rumors are true and he shows her his scars, rather dark but very effective).

Glad the 3rd movie will answer these questions and more.

Now for a question from my wife who wants to know if Jack's ears are pierced (I think Johny Depps are)?

My fave deleted scene from the 1st one that I wish stayed in was Peep Show. Maybe not so much as the beginning part where Pintel and Ragetti are looking in on Elizabeth as she puts on the dress, but the part that follows after. Extended part of the dinner scene. Elizabeth is standing near the table when Barbossa walks in, checks her out in the dress and smirks.

"Maid or not, it suits you."

"Dare I ask the fate of it's previous owner?"

*hurt look and purses lips to an O* "now none of that!" *gestures for her to sit at the table* "Please"

*she sits down and he leans close to her* "Dig in!"

I love it, it would have been great to leave that in, the Barbossa and Elizabeth part that is. ;)

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

I also liked that...and even more so the extended scenes of Port Royal. One thing that never sat well with me in the first film was that for a bustling port town, POTC's Port Royal seemed desolate and sparsely populated. They didn't give enough establishing shots of local color and setting to flesh out that PR was a lively and thriving town. But there are deleted scenes that do just that, when the "cursed wind" blows thru town after Elizabeth falls in the ocean. They really help "populate" the town...know what I mean?

newbannersigtar0db.gif

That surprised me as well, Joshua. While the average viewer might think it unnecessary exposition, it would have gone a long way to emphasising that Port Royale was indeed a bustling town of several thousand souls. The effect of the sacking by Barbossa's men would have been even more impactful.

Exactly. ;)

One example I always like to give of a movie successfully having a character inhabit "his" world is The French Connection. The city is just alive. It's as important a character as Doyle. He doesn't just dance around it like a setpiece, he lives IN it, he's part of it. He interacts with it. You really feel like you're right there on the streets during the movie.

Tortuga kinda does it in POTC 1 & 2...but unfortunately it never slows down quite enough to let us enjoy "being" in the setting.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Anyone else notice that Tia Dalma's theme carries the locket tune (not "Anastasia", but it borrows heavily) and Barbossa's theme? I want to know a LOT more about this woman!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw POTC 2 again over the weekend and noticed even more!

Davy Jones states that he rose the Black Pearl from the sea bottom for Jack. This begs the question: Who owned the Pearl first and why is it such an important ship?

Anyone else notice that Tia Dalma's theme carries the locket tune (not "Anastasia", but it borrows heavily) and Barbossa's theme? I want to know a LOT more about this woman!

:P

Oh, you need to come over to the studio for lunch lad! :lol:

Her teil you ALL dat you need to know! :P

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Prison (see 3rd movie)

He was but that gave him a real push.

See 3rd movie

See 3rd movie

They become a part of the Flying Dutchman. (Remember the guy stuck to the planks?)

No... see 3rd movie

No, it's not resolved not will it be until the 3rd movie.

Sorry to be a broken record but you've lived up to Ted and Terry's expectation. They WANT people to wonder what these things are... So they will come back for the 3rd movie. s

See, there is a down side to working for teh Studio that made the movie. I already know all the surprise you all still have coming!

Hate to say it, but the people I talk to, myself included are disinclined to see the 3rd movie. There were too many holes in the second and using the excuse that it was just a bridge to the third movie makes it feel as if the this was a waste of $. If everything is in the third movie why bother making this second one at all. This didn't feel as if it was a complete movie, just bunch of scenes thrown together. And if you then state you need to buy the DVD to understand what was cut out..

see the director's cut DVD
again, it makes it feel as if we were (as another friend stated when I said something of the same...) robbed. You should not need to buy something in order to understand what you have already paid for.

Sorry but I am not the only one that feels that way. Most of the people at work felt the same. As one person dubbed it the Disney curse, unable to make a sequel.

If I see the third one it won't be in the theatre.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

As was mentioned before somewhere in one of these posts, in this section, the 2nd movie is more for the die-hard fans. The ones who really pay attention to all the little details and just pretty much....get it.

That's why I really loved the 2nd movie! I'm enjoying both movies immensely and can't wait for the 3rd one. Of course there had to be a 2nd movie. If you just went and saw the 3rd one you'd be sitting there going, "what the hell is going on?!" It's the little details you gotta pay attention to. I think it's great, a movie that makes you think, how awesome is that! :o And say what you want about the ending of Pirates 2, but it has everyone talking about it! Barbossa is becoming quite a popular character, even more so than he was before, I love it so much-lol! :lol:

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

As was mentioned before somewhere in one of these posts, in this section, the 2nd movie is more for the die-hard fans. The ones who really pay attention to all the little details and just pretty much....get it.

I paid attention to all the details...and got it...I got where all the gaping holes were in the movie . I am not one to be so enraptured about a pirate movie being made that I will overlook where this one lacks. And this one lacks in a big way.

Heck, I stayed away from all the trailers so I would be surprised by the movie...I didn't want it spoiled, but it was spoiled by the lack of story continuity and cohesiveness. I even went out and bought some of the merchandise before I even went to see...now wish I hadn't.

"what the hell is going on?!"

I went to this movie WANTING to LOVE it...ask anyone at work. I talked it up for weeks before I saw it, how much I was going to to enjoy it... BUT, The "what the hell" was how I felt when I left this last movie...I won't be the third...as stated I will wait for the DVD and rent it.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Anyone else notice that Tia Dalma's theme carries the locket tune (not "Anastasia", but it borrows heavily) and Barbossa's theme?  I want to know a LOT more about this woman!

;)

Oh, you need to come over to the studio for lunch lad! :lol:

Her teil you ALL dat you need to know! :lol:

:lol:

You are a wicked woman, Bess! Sometimes I think Tia is based off you! :)

I wondered also why Barbossa's theme was used a lot in this film when Barbossa wasn't around.

And I somewhat agree with ya, Mad Jack. Not just in her shack... but listen to the music on the soundtrack... the part when Jack opens the chest to see the heart.. the music with it is the Davy Jones theme AND Barbossa's theme! Oooooo...

Plus hearing lots of Barbossa's theme when they are at Tia Dalma's the first time. Like that fly over the Black Pearl as they head up river.

The locket music was I thought incredibly close to the music box from "Anastasia" animation, too. Which I adored that. I've the small music box with the key locket. The toy version since they never made a realistic version.

And if you remember the words of the Lullaby - not the song -

"On the wind, across the sea

Hear this song and remember;

Soon you'll be, home with me

Once upon a December."

The Davy Jones theme is an erie waltz.

Somehow, oddly, I can invision a mixed scene from "Anastasia" and "Legend"... demons and devils of the darkness waltzing, or perhaps like the Ball scene in "Labyrinth"... the Devil dancing and entranced or in attempts to seduce and distract the young innocent beauty?

:::ponders::: Ooo... that makes for a nice little twist.. I should use it for one of the RPGs I am in. :)

Amen, Christine.

Yes... Barbossa is becoming a popular character.

I wish I was going to DragonCon this year. Apparently, Bill AND Joey will be there. ::le sigh:: wish I could meet th' both of them.

Wade and his friends 'll all be at DragonCon as characters from PotC. Jack Sparrow, Will Turner, Elizabeth Swann (one girl in the Barbossa dress another as the pirate Elizabeth from DMC), Norrington (1 in the Commodore uniform, the other in the scruffy pirate look), Barbossa (Joey and Bill), Gibbs, Scarlett, Tia Dalma (hopefully), and a few others.

Wade has a whole compliment of comrades who look absolutely fantastic!

Course... Toby will be at DragonCon, too... from my understanding.

But eager to see Bill and Joey. Bill's outfit is as accurately closer compared to everyone else's Barbossa outfit. And I only know of Bill, Joey and Lee having a Barbossa outfit. Apparently there is another gent in Ohio who wants to make a Barbossa outfit, too.

Finding the fabric used for the Barbossa coat is impossible to get ahold of.. so, some folks (including myself) are going nuts cause we want the fabric but cannot find it. Wade was pretty darn lucky to have found it before.

I wouldn't say that PotC is for the diehards.

I spoke with a friend the other day.. she's no diehard nor are her daughter, her husband, her daughter's husband... they took the grandson to see Dead Man's Chest cause a young 3-4 year old just LOVES Jack Sparrow! And they all enjoyed it! Laughed and thoroughly enjoyed all the punchlines and all. Granted the little twirp didn't get the punch lines, most kids don't.. but he REALLY enjoyed the action, the adventure and characters.

The movie appeals to the kid and the kid at heart. It's utterly how much you can let your imagination go at the same time connect the punchlines and moments. To allow the film to take hold and allow your imagination to believe what's being tossed at you.

Jib... I think the importance of the Black Pearl and her speed will be explained in #3. Bess can correct me on this if I am wrong. But that's what I understood.

Hehehe... now.. I won't be tellin' anything either, mates. ;) I'm by NO way associated with the production.. but.. amazing what info one can gather even by accident. :: attempts to look innocent::

Pirate! :)

And for the long wait... only several months. Not all that long, m'dear. Really. Compared to having wait 3 years for this sequel... a few mere months is nothing... I can wait.

When the DVD for Dead Man's Chest comes out... guaranteed I will be buying at least 2... maybe 3. Just in case I wear at least 1 out. ;) I have 3 of Curse of the Black Pearl. :)

Just eager to see the behind the scenes, the deleted scenes (like Mercer and Norrington at Tortuga), and whatever else.. just like what they had in the Curse of the Black Pearl DVD. My nephew even asked if there will be a 3rd Lost Disc like they did with CotBP. :::Shrugs::: guess we will find out.

Ok... I shall end my rant an' raving. ;)

~Lady B

;)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

The locket music was I thought incredibly close to the music box from "Anastasia" animation, too. Which I adored that. I've the small music box with the key locket. The toy version since they never made a realistic version.

And if you remember the words of the Lullaby - not the song -

"On the wind, across the sea

Hear this song and remember;

Soon you'll be, home with me

Once upon a December."

Actually, they did make a realistic version of that music box. My aunt has one. She first bought the toy one, but when her husband bought her the real one she gave the toy one to me. But, she soon discovered that the toy one is actually better sounding. She still let me keep the toy one, mostly because she bought that one for herself, it didn't matter as much as they one from her husband-lol!

In some way, the tune reminds me also of Josette's music box from Dark Shadows.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg