Songs of the Sun

It dawned on me today that a lot of people listen to tropical music up north and how nice it would be to escape to fun in the sun under the palm trees ... i.e., Buffett, Sunny Jim, Barefoot, and a plethora of other bands that sing about life in the sun.

I used to listen to it all the time when I live in the north.

Now that I live here, I notice know one in the tropics ever listens to songs about how wonderful it would be to live in the cold, the damp and the snow.

Hhm.

-- Sir Henry

"Land only holds promise if men at sea have the courage to fight for it."

- Sir Henry

Hmm... that's true.

However, I used to work with a lady from Hawaii and she told me that most of the folks she knew were extremely envious of her moving to the San Francisco area. Seems they like the idea of walking through fog - mysterious and romantic, apparently. Of course, you have to get to San Francisco the right time of year to experience this mysterious and romantic fog (February through June.)

On a side note, if you're ever thinking of visiting San Francisco, come in September; the weather is GREAT then.

RHJMap.jpg

I love San Francisco - lived there for a very short time and visited many more. I've heard that about islanders - they get island happy because there's no where to go.

Ah, but I have to say I still haven't tired of the swaing palms, warm waters and white sand...

- Sir Henry

- Sir Henry

Except for the opening for this Christmas song:

The sun is shining, the grass is green, the orange and palm trees sway. There's never been such a day, in Beverly Hills, LA. But it's December the 24th and I'm longing to be up north........to be up north.......I'm dreaming of a white Christmas..... :ph34r:

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

No offense, luv, but California doesn't qualify for the Tropics. It wouldn't be that whacked for someone there was yearn for a vacation where it's white. After all, you have mountains there where you can ski...

I was more shooting for Florida, the Caribbean, French Polynesia and even Central America.... You definitely won't hear someone in Key West or Kingston singing songs like, "I Wanna Go and Sling Some Snow in Wisconsin."

-- Sir Henry

- Sir Henry

It dawned on me today that a lot of people listen to tropical music up north and how nice it would be to escape to fun in the sun under the palm trees ... i.e., Buffett, Sunny Jim, Barefoot, and a plethora of other bands that sing about life in the sun.

Now that I live here, I notice know one in the tropics ever listens to songs about how wonderful it would be to live in the cold, the damp and the snow.

Hhm.

-- Sir Henry

Once a year we are forced to listen to music about the cold and snow. And it lasts at least a month or so. Haven't you ever heard the music they play at Christmas time? You can't go anywhere without having to listen to Christmas music between Thanksgiving and Christmas. :P

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

`Blackie`

:huh:

Hhm.

-- Sir Henry

Once a year we are forced to listen to music about the cold and snow. And it lasts at least a month or so. Haven't you ever heard the music they play at Christmas time? You can't go anywhere without having to listen to Christmas music between Thanksgiving and Christmas. :lol:

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

`Blackie`

:lol:

Yeah, I remember those days. The first thing I did when I got here is toss my parka, sweaters and ice scraper. Could use the sweaters though now. It gets down into the 50s a couple times a year.

I've heard those songs sung in Key West during the holidays. They sound kind of stupid when its 85 and sunny...

If I never see snow again, I will be very, very happy.

-- Sir Henry

- Sir Henry

Heck, up here in Alaska we hear them every once in a while. The Alaskan State Balladeer, Hobo Jim, has quite a collection out. Besides, I listen to a lot of sea shanties, so sailors are always complaining about anything they can, including cold weather.

Rolling Down to Old Maui

Greenland Whalers

Certain renditions of Spanish Ladies

Strike the Bell

These are the first I can think of at 2330 on the 4th after some celebration. Happy 4th to all ye Americans. To the French, thanks for distracting the limies. To the Brits, thanks for underestimating our rabble. Everyone else, grab a beer and play with explosives.

Coastie :rolleyes:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

the genius of Morrison

At first flash of Eden we raced down to the sea,

Standing there on the freedoms shore.

Waiting for the sun, waiting for the sun,

waiting for the sun.

Cant you feel it, now that spring has come;

That its the time to live in scattered sun.

Waiting for the sun, waiting for the sun,

Waiting for the sun, waiting for the sun.

Waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting,

Waiting for you to come along;

Waiting for you to to hear my song;

Waiting for you to come along;

Waiting for you to tell me, what went wrong.

This is the strangest life Ive ever known.

Touch somebody you don't know today with a smile.