Pennsic

Bonnie Red Weasel

You are correct, the SCA cuts at 16oo. My persona is of an Elizabethan sea dog/reiver of 1588. We play multiple time periods in different societies.

Hawkyns

Master Gunner

(from Kathryn Ramsey's account)

Just curious. I haven't been keeping up to date on every section of the SCA, but I've heard that some kingdoms and local groups have extended past this? I've heard of a few going up to 1650-1675. Although that could just be local and not kingdom wide. Or I could've had too much rum that night :rolleyes:

Aye mates,

Ifn ye get the chance, you'll have to check out the Whiskey Bards. I understand they'll be doing some sets at Pennsic. Lovely bunch of lads with some great original pirate tunes. Most of you with the SCA might know Yonatan. I believe they're camped with Antevedlt.

They are not to be missed. Mark my words.

p.s. to Delmar from Outlands: Have you gotten the jerky out of yer hair yet?

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Mad Eye- it's more a social thing than actual law. Back in the before times, there was something published called "Queen Carol's Guide". It was basically a guide to the Society and it was, for a long time, the standard for what we do. In that guide it said that the Society extends to 1650, even though the incorporation documents clearly state pre-17th Century. Years ago, the BoD took a poll and advice from the populace, and at that time confirmed 1600 as the cut off date. Some kingdoms and groups turn a blind eye to the 1600 date, particularly to include the Cavaliers of the 1640's. It is not 'approved' by the Society, but depending on where you are in the Knowne World, it will gain varying levels of acceptance.

Hawkyns

:D

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Anyone heading out to B09 has to pass B08. Look for the shrine to St. Barbara and the guns, and stop in.

Hawkyns

:D

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Mad Eye- it's more a social thing than actual law. Back in the before times, there was something published called "Queen Carol's Guide". It was basically a guide to the Society and it was, for a long time, the standard for what we do. In that guide it said that the Society extends to 1650, even though the incorporation documents clearly state pre-17th Century. Years ago, the BoD took a poll and advice from the populace, and at that time confirmed 1600 as the cut off date. Some kingdoms and groups turn a blind eye to the 1600 date, particularly to include the Cavaliers of the 1640's. It is not 'approved' by the Society, but depending on where you are in the Knowne World, it will gain varying levels of acceptance.

Hawkyns

:huh:

Thanks for the clarification there Hawkyns. I had a feeling it was just a social and not official standing, but definitely good to know the truth behind it all.

I'll make sure to stop on by since you're just across Dragon Sea Jr from us. Feel free to come on over as well if'n ya so desire for a round of grog or whatever else ya fancy! B)

I guess this will make it official since I'm putting it in writing. It is with great regret that I will not be going this year :lol: . I cant stand to even think about not going. Especially considering the fact I found a place to call home with the St. Barbara Gun crew. Hawkyns will ya fire :lol: the guns to the east one day so I know your Thinking about me Then maybe raise a bucket of gunners punch :huh: in hopes that next year good fortune will let us be there next year.

Francois

:huh:

I hope you all dont mind my posting some photos of past years. It might make me fell a little better about not being able to go.

In this one Im the fifth one from Hawkyns if'n ya count Hawkyns as one.

GUNCREW.jpg

CANNONGIRLS.jpg

GUNS3.jpg

In camp making charges for the next round of bangs.

002_2.jpg

In charge of me own gun crew and proud of it.

111_111.jpg

PyrateAvitar.jpg

I am a Free Men of The Sea I don't pillage and plunder.
I covertly acquire!

François Viete Domont de la Palmier
I haven't been accused of Pyracy...............YET

Ok need to figure out how to fit Francios and crew in various trunks and kidnap them to Pennsic...

I was hoping to work the guns this year with you and share a bit of rum...

We will miss you in camp.

I was looking forward to spending time with you all...

• 4 weeks later...

Aye!

I'll stand n' be counted among th' ranks o' th' gun line....

Hark! Do I hear Morning Glory, Voice, Cricket, and the other fine pieces?

Rod, did you ever name yer swivel?

Have St. Barbra's medal, will crew the guns...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

From the desk of Hawkyns:

Aye Dorian,

her name is Nightengale from her first combat firings. They were done at Fort Miflin in a night battle. And if you have ever been to Miflin, you know that those night battles are conducted one hundred and fifty feet under the main landing pattern of Philadelphia international airport. So there is hope that Nightengales first firing caused some US Air pilot to foul his britches.

Hawkyns...

Come by the camp when you get settled to discuss the firing schedule.

:(:D

• 2 weeks later...

4 days from now I should be on the road, headin' west. Arrive just after midnight, get some zzzzzs and wait for dawn.

I may be at work now, but my mind is at the corner of Agincourt and Tours.

Hawkyns

:lol:

rod_21.jpg

Master Hawkyns,

Have you a firing schedule for the battles yet?

Or willl this occur once settled in yer camp?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• 2 weeks later...

Due to a last minute decision, I WILL be going to Pennsic. I'm camping with my favorite pirate, Admiral James Antillis Rhedd, with the Brotherhood of the Sacred Light (E01). Hopefully we won't go up in smoke with the priestly sort about!

Stop by and say arrrrr!

Captain Myfanwy T. "Bloodrose" Blodynrhos

The Midnight Rose

"Why is the rum always gone?" ::stagger:: "Oh. That's why."

Due to a last minute decision, I WILL be going to Pennsic. I'm camping with my favorite pirate, Admiral James Antillis Rhedd, with the Brotherhood of the Sacred Light (E01). Hopefully we won't go up in smoke with the priestly sort about!

Stop by and say arrrrr!

Oh no - i didn't get your message until too late.

Thankfully, i WAS able to meet up with Dorian, Killian, Hawkyns, and Katherine. It was a wonderful, wonderful time!