Port Royal, Jamica. JOINT THREAD

Capt. Sterling

I'm sorry there are those who feel PR is a pansy romance novel,

A lot of us would not be alive if it were not for pansy romance... :lol::lol::huh:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pub life would not be worth livin', if not for romance! Most great adventure stories, often have a romantic thread. Why should the stories here be any different? Granted Port Royal could use a few sea and land battles, I wish Dorian and William could offer their expertise in this area.

honestly we've just been waiting for Sir Henry to return... but so far, that looks like it just ain't happening... so we shall have to take things into our own hands... with all the ships putting out to sea, hopefully something will occur... :ph34r:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Sorry I have been so remiss and have been holding the troops back from a rousing adventure. But it looks like a tempest has caused you to set sail. Good show!

As far as land battles, they only happened outside of Port Royal. Port Royal itself was never attacked, due in large part to the 142 cannon on the spit.

-- Sir Henry

"Land only holds promise if men at sea have the courage to fight for it."

- Sir Henry

Cheeky needs to reedit her post regarding MY behavor in the last few threads... she is playing my part in a way I did not consent to... I would be the last person to throw someone in need of help off my ship... rewrite... or DO NOT play my character without consulting me first

Crewe of the Archangel

Cheeky needs to reedit her post regarding MY behavor in the last few threads... she is playing my part in a way I did not consent to... I would be the last person to throw someone in need of help off my ship... rewrite... or DO NOT play my character without consulting me first

Honestly, dear Captain, do you think any of us would believe you would toss a defenseless woman overboard? Then threaten to kill anyone who attempted to save her? As soon as I read it, I knew she was dreaming and delusional. B)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Honestly, dear Captain, do you think any of us would believe you would toss a defenseless woman overboard? Then threaten to kill anyone who attempted to save her? As soon as I read it, I knew she was dreaming and delusional. B)

On the other hand does one really know another person ? Just joking, my dear captain:lol: . Ofcourse Sterling would not have done it !

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

Yes but now I am SOOOOO tempted.... B)B)

Crewe of the Archangel

I'm sorry there are those who feel PR is a pansy romance novel, but I must say, murder and mayhem do not a story make - it gets boring. A fine mix of both makes the better saga.

Port Royal, Jamaica between 1660 and 1730 was not the backdrop for a Harlequin Romance novel.

It was a modern day (back then) Sodom and Gomorrah, "the wickedest city on earth."

"The early 1670's began a twenty-year boom where Port Royal became a large and busy port rivaling even Boston- a city of over 7000 practically overrun by buccaneers who were as despised for the drunkenness and prostitution as they were loved for their loot." The Pirate's Realm

"By the 1660s, the city had gained a reputation as the Sodom of the New World where most residents were pirates, cutthroats, or prostitutes. When Charles Leslie wrote his history of Jamaica, he included a description of the pirates of Port Royal:

Wine and women drained their wealth to such a degree that… some of them became reduced to beggary. They have been known to spend 2 or 3,000 pieces of eight in one night; and one gave a strumpet 500 to see her naked. They used to buy a pipe of wine, place it in the street, and oblige everyone that passed to drink." Wikipedia

If we are to be as truly accurate as possible, then we must paint the picture as it truly was.

Welcome t' th' Caribbean luv.

B)

Titim gan éirí ort.

There are many forms of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the boundaries into true corruption, into our domain.

Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries that are coming upon you! Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. James 5:1-3

So that mean we all have to change our personas completely to fit into the time line which was not the original jist of this thread... okay ladies... you all get to be two bit whores...only.... B)B)

Crewe of the Archangel

That's an interesting thought Ian. The problem is that it assumes that romance & love can't happen to people who are "bad", that outlaws can only feel negitive emotions. Now we all know that isn't true.

The emotional connections between charecters, be they love, hate, envy or indifference, are what makes a story. The events of the story line either prove or disprove these emotional connections, making them stronger or weaker as the story moves forward. It happens just as much in real life, only at a slower pace.

Now, I will admit that the romance does bug me sometimes, but that's my own issue. I'm just not a romantic person. I'm much more comfortable with fights, blood shed and hate. Given a choice I'd write someone getting stabbed in an alley over two people kissing anyday. I think that's pretty well reflected in what I write. But I don't begrudge anyone that is comfortable or enjoys writing the romantic end. Like Ransom said, it takes some of each to make a good storyline. Plus, I can always channel my frustrations into one of the angry charecters and it works to my advantage.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I'm sorry there are those who feel PR is a pansy romance novel, but I must say, murder and mayhem do not a story make - it gets boring. A fine mix of both makes the better saga.

Port Royal, Jamaica between 1660 and 1730 was not the backdrop for a Harlequin Romance novel.

It was a modern day (back then) Sodom and Gomorrah, "the wickedest city on earth."

"The early 1670's began a twenty-year boom where Port Royal became a large and busy port rivaling even Boston- a city of over 7000 practically overrun by buccaneers who were as despised for the drunkenness and prostitution as they were loved for their loot." The Pirate's Realm

"By the 1660s, the city had gained a reputation as the Sodom of the New World where most residents were pirates, cutthroats, or prostitutes. When Charles Leslie wrote his history of Jamaica, he included a description of the pirates of Port Royal:

Wine and women drained their wealth to such a degree that… some of them became reduced to beggary. They have been known to spend 2 or 3,000 pieces of eight in one night; and one gave a strumpet 500 to see her naked. They used to buy a pipe of wine, place it in the street, and oblige everyone that passed to drink." Wikipedia

If we are to be as truly accurate as possible, then we must paint the picture as it truly was.

:lol:

All that you say is perfectly true. But I also believe those living in PR at the time also had passionate romance. You only have to look at Jack Rackam, Ann Bonny, and Mary Read for proof. I am NOT a fan of mushy romance novels, never have been, and I think the actions of my characters in PR back that up, but love and romance have been around for as long as civilization, and PR was no different. And I still strongly believe that page after page of murder, mayhem, and madness, is boring...as is page after page of lovemaking. Balance is everything.

Welcome to the real world, mate, :D

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Now, I will admit that the romance does bug me sometimes, but that's my own issue. I'm just not a romantic person. I'm much more comfortable with fights, blood shed and hate. Given a choice I'd write someone getting stabbed in an alley over two people kissing anyday. I think that's pretty well reflected in what I write. But I don't begrudge anyone that is comfortable or enjoys writing the romantic end. Like Ransom said, it takes some of each to make a good storyline. Plus, I can always channel my frustrations into one of the angry charecters and it works to my advantage.

As a reader, non-writer in PR, I'd say CrazyChole is adept at this balancin' act (Romance and violence). On the one hand she has a character that adores Captain Striker, and one that is ready t' kill 'em. Striker sleep wit' one eye open, and keep yer pistols close.

Those who feel they can do better, show us.

I marvel at how well ye all play together!

As a reader, non-writer in PR, I'd say CrazyChole is adept at this balancin' act (Romance and violence). On the one hand she has a character that adores Captain Striker, and one that is ready t' kill 'em. Striker sleep wit' one eye open, and keep yer pistols close.

Mr. Tar, did ye just Compliment me? :rolleyes: I'm so terribly flattered, I think I might actually be speachless.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

:rolleyes:

While much of this is true, Port Royal wasn't that much different from any other town of the period. The resident's lives were much the same as their counterparts in England. There was high fashion, society and normal married couples in PR at the time. In fact, nearly 1/3 of the city was children... so I would certainly think there was a lot of romance. In the 1673 census, for example, there were 529 women, 714 men and 426 children. By 1692 (the year of the great earthquakes), the population was estimated to be 1600 men, 1400 women and 1000 children. The number of black and Indian slaves was approximately 414 men and 431 women.

Of course, the buccaneers and seamen swayed the numbers some, depending upon which ship was in port. But even in 1688 only 100 ships made port, and most of these were small ships of local ownership. Only 72 of the 207 ships that made port in the years 1670, 1675, 1679 and 1680 (where the records survive) were from outside the Caribbean.

Sir Henry Morgan himself was married to Mary Elizabeth for 25 years. She stayed on their plantation while he dabbled in life in Port Royal. But they were deeply in love until his death, even though he obviously strayed many times during his life. She simply understood his indiscretions and never discussed them.

For the most part, the merchants there were just ordinary folk, who were accustomed to ship's arriving with seamen aboard with money to spend on drink, women and goods. And they happily accommodated their disruptions.

I can't discourse on Port Royal in GAoP as it was a shadow of its former self, both in population and acreage. But I do think you would certainly find romance there (re: 1000 children) during the time.

Further, I wouldn't quote wikipedia too liberally as one entry states that Mary Elizabeth was his German wife. She was, in fact, the daughter of Henry's uncle, Harry, who was lieutenant governor under Modyford until his untimely death during Jamaica's assault on the Dutch island of St. Eustatius.

-- Sir Henry

Source: Port Royal Jamaica, Michael Pawson & David Buissert

University of West Indies Press, 2nd Edition

"Land only holds promise if men at sea have the courage to fight for it."

- Sir Henry

Now, I will admit that the romance does bug me sometimes, but that's my own issue. I'm just not a romantic person. I'm much more comfortable with fights, blood shed and hate.  Given a choice I'd write someone getting stabbed in an alley over two people kissing anyday. I think that's pretty well reflected in what I write. But I don't begrudge anyone that is comfortable or enjoys writing the romantic end. Like Ransom said, it takes some of each to make a good storyline. Plus, I can always channel my frustrations into one of the angry charecters and it works to my advantage.

Nay , we trust her .... She would not harm us. But the Spaniard dogs , that is another story :lol:

And as I told you earlier , Jacky. Join us at the Port . :o

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

I second that, Luv. Pretty please.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Fine, fine.

Permission t' off a character, fine.

Ano'er r'quest:

Can someone make 't known th' time o' day once 'n awhile. 'Tis 'ard t' write when 't th' end, 'tis a diff'rnt day or time than th' post after yours. I mean, rain, daytime, and so forth.

And we'll promise t' be goode.

Titim gan éirí ort.

There are many forms of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the boundaries into true corruption, into our domain.

Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries that are coming upon you! Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. James 5:1-3

Fine, fine.

Permission t' off a character, fine.

Ano'er r'quest:

Can someone make 't known th' time o' day once 'n awhile. 'Tis 'ard t' write when 't th' end, 'tis a diff'rnt day or time than th' post after yours. I mean, rain, daytime, and so forth.

And we'll promise t' be goode.

Yes I completely agree with the time issue... some how we need to interupt the post for this... it is getting difficult to figure out ... I think we've only actually been at the port for what... maybe two weeks all together??

Crewe of the Archangel

Aye, 'tis true Captain.

:lol:

Titim gan éirí ort.

Current conditions in Port Royal: Hurricane (class 2-3) may include rain, winds between 96 & 130 MPH & swells up to 12 feet higher than normal. Flooding occures up to 8 miles inland in low lying areas. Low level escape routes cut off 3-5 hours before center of storm. Some structural damage especailly to poorly constructed buildings. Minor curtain wall failures expected.

Time of day for most charecters: hard to tell because of the weather. Evening-night most likely.

The time thing is tricky. Not everyone is in the same place/time when they post. So it might be evening for Ransom, but I'm still working on writting everything my charecter did to get to evening. What I'm trying to say is that if your charecter has something "to do" and the person that posts after you jumps to the next day, don't feel that you have to jump as well (unless you're somehow mentioned in that jump). Try to keep the time frame consistant with your own charecters and keep up with the others but don't neglect what your charecter is doing in those "hours" either.

Am I just a blithering fool today? Knew I should have slept longer.