Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

Seth moved further down bar's legnth as the gathering began to break. Near the far end, the lighting dulled further, which suited him fine and the barman was quick to deliver freshened tankard without request. He turned a degree, offering a better vantage of the surround and young Shannon O'Neil busy with to and fro. Pale sights kept hidden observation to the Common's mood and those who remained behind. He would wait out the emptying of this tankard, then another, before slipping into the gray damp of early afternoon conditions.

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ioan had the uncomfortable feeling he may have overstepped himself in mentioning Killingsworth's condition. He had the distinct impression Sterling didn't like or trust him. As the Captain's group left, he wondered if he should warn Captain Ransom that Sterling appeared to be a bit too interested in the Rakehell. Then he felt his back twinge, and changed his mind. No, he'd not help her, but he wouldn't go out of his way to betray her either. After all, there was nothing in it for him either way. But in all trueth, he'd enjoy seeing her put in her place for once. Maybe, if he stuck around this Striker, he'd get his wish.

He glared at Roberts, who still sat at the table. "Well, it seems you'll make a bit of the shiny after all. You know, you'd have done better not to point that knife at me when you first came on the Rakehell. We might have been able to do business. But now, it seems this Killingsworth is causing everyone more grief than he's worth."

He then turned to Captain Striker. "If you're ready to leave, sir, I'll help you back to your ship."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Sabastian and Christophe were restless for differing reasons, and as a way to distract from all that was not said, the Bay and Noire were saddled. The light tinkle of silver bells gracing ornate tack floated the air in phantasmic accompaniment to the gray skies above. The pace was slow, conversation sparadic at best, as each rider seemed lost in deeper thoughts left untarnished by the rough qualities of speech. Nods were exchanged to those known or not by regal pair, as they traversed closer to salt fluid existance through the lesser throng of human sea.

As the harbour was neared, mounts were reined in and kingdom by the Great Salt was surveyed with casual interest.

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Sterling next turned to Hazzards. “Matthew be so kind as to hunt down Doctor Reiley. God only knows where the bloody hell he has managed to get himself lost. I thought I gave him strict instructions to stay put over at the Nag’s Head. Make sure he has his medical paraphernalia together and get him on the ‘Angel…preferably before Mr. Straw and Mr. Timmins moves her out to anchor.

Then find me Tess St. Clair. I want to know what she is up to and where she is lodging. I still find it hard to believe she is so deeply involved in all this, still .. Despite her conceit, she was a tad cleverer than most. As to Mistress McKinney have her watched. If I post another guard at her door, I fear she will try and slip away into hiding or flee the Port completely.” He paused for a breath before he continued. “I must away back to the Bookseller’s, I have given my word to Monsieur Devareaux that I would collect some one to tend to Mistress Devareaux whilst onboard this evening. Is all clear then?”

“Aye, aye, sir,” Hazzards said. Bowing he left the couple.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Devon Burke emerged from the tavern, acting as if his attention was elsewhere. Overhearing a snip of the conversation betwixt Captain and subordinant, he intentionally bumped into Sterling's unaffected right side and began sputtering apologies as if it had been clumsiness on his part. Grabbing the Captain's good arm in an act of begging mercy of his betters, the Irishman dropped his voice to whisper.

"Tha' lass ye be speakin' o' is nestin' a' The Shippe, fer true. A gran' bit o' it..." He winked then hurried on his way, another act of mock fear regarding the Captain's wrath.

"Tha' lass ye be speakin' o' is nestin' a' The Shippe, fer true. A gran' bit o' it..." He winked then hurried on his way, another act of mock fear regarding the Captain's wrath.

"Clumsy fool!" Sterling shouted after Burke as he disappeared around a near corner. He brushed off the non-existant mess from his coat, adjusted the soaken garment, then offered his arm once again to Aurore.

"The Shippe, is it," he muttered under his breath. "Come along Chere. I wish to see ye back to the shop. It will give ye some time to gather yer things for tonight. Yer brother wishes ye to have someone to see to ye while yer aboard. I have an .... errand to run and will be back shortly to fetch ye. Oh, and send word to Mr. Dogge, if ye please. Once the Angel is anchored in the harbour, have him send in the boat."

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Aurore looked at him with quizzical expression, she wished to know what the errand could be and why he was being so secretive of its' nature. She searched his face for some explination, but none was apparent.

"Tres vien."

Giving a smallish tug, she indicated the quickest rout of return.

Jane was somewhat relieved that the gathering was coming to a close. She smiled sweetly as Sterling and his entourage exited the tavern. Her focus then transferred to the remaining men. Ioan fumed at the new comer Jack, obviously unhappy that the coin offered by Sterling would not be in his hands this evening. Jane grinned; the man was easy to read, though possibly not as transparent as he openly acted.

"If you're ready to leave, sir, I'll help you back to your ship."

“Not yet. Another round first” Striker stated flatly, clearly needing the pain dulling properties of the drink before venturing out again.

“Allow me Captain” Jane offered rising gracefully from her seat. The empty pitcher was gathered from the center of the rough hewn table. Jane slipped easily through the growing crowd to the bar. She hailed the barkeep with a nod, a polished coin accompanying the carafe into his callused hands..

“Oi, any o’ ye seen Mr. Chole?” A raspy voice echoed over the din.

Jane’s heart skipped as she heard the name. Her attention was immediately drawn to the group of dirty sailors only a few feet from her at the bar. She recognized each man from the crew of the Anna Rae. Nervously she turned away, hiding her face from their view. At the same time she strained to hear the rest of their conversation. Most was lost in the raucous music that filled the tavern. She was able to glean just enough to know Captain Fulton was looking for her. Jane sighed, torn between her responsibilities as ships carpenter and her self proclaimed debt to Captain Striker. Still facing away from her crewmen Jane gathered the full pitcher, gliding back to the occupied table unnoticed.

“Sir?” Jane spoke softly to Striker as she neared, placing her hand lightly on his shoulder. His face had paled significantly in just the short time she was away. His eyes rose to meet hers, agony evident behind the sparkling blue. She noted the faintest beads of sweat on his upper lip as he smiled at her. “Perhaps ye should be resting soon” the concern for his health was evident in her tone.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Sabastian and Christophe were restless for differing reasons, and as a way to distract from all that was not said, the Bay and Noire were saddled. The light tinkle of silver bells gracing ornate tack floated the air in phantasmic accompaniment to the gray skies above. The pace was slow, conversation sparadic at best, as each rider seemed lost in deeper thoughts left untarnished by the rough qualities of speech. Nods were exchanged to those known or not by regal pair, as they traversed closer to salt fluid existance through the lesser throng of human sea.

As the harbour was neared, mounts were reined in and kingdom by the Great Salt was surveyed with casual interest.

After chastising my foolish excuse for a cook, I returned to the Rakehell. I attempted to rest for the evenings meeting, but was too tense to stay in my hammock. I removed myself to the deck and stood at the rail, wondering how the evening would go. I liked Trilby, but that did not mean I could trust him. And gypsies? I'd been schooled since childhood that they were a thieving, mysterious people, to be run off if they dared set up their wagons on my father's property. And here I was, a world away, setting myself up for any possible harm, with people I didn't know.

As I let my gaze wander over the busy wharves, I saw two riders tarry, looking at the ships at anchor. Both were handsome, in a dark way, and sat their mounts with ease. I wondered who they were, and why they had come to the harbor. Then I smiled to myself. Bored, I thought, and come to see what new goods or chattals had arrived in port. Yet my gaze lingered on the darker of the two. I admired his air of confedence that hinted almost of arrogance. He reminded me of how long it had been since I had allowed myself the pleasure of a man's company. On board the Rakehell it was impossible and ill-advised. Ioan's advances had proven once again that most often they were after my ship, and had little regard for me. They expected weakness, and were unpleasantly surprized when they found none.

I took one last look at the pair, then turned from the rail and returned to my cabin to dress for my evening appointment.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Sterling left Aurore safely tucked away at the Booksellers'. He would have made his way back out into the streets sooner, but her sweet kisses drew him constantly back for yet another one. So it was with grim determination that he finally exited the shop.

His mind raced with the question of where to go next. It would be easiest to make his way back to the jeweler and fetch the charming broach that would do well with Aurore's new gown on the morrow. Or perhaps to make his way to call upon Lilly McKinney to see if she was aware of Darnly's latest ploy to get her to return to him.

He quickly thought better of that. Knowing how she had allowed their child to fall under the control of such a monster... he was likely to kill her. Beside if Aurore found out he had gone to see the actress alone, without someone like Sabastian to accompany him, it would surely upset her. It simply would not do. His thoughts focused on Lilly ....no, he was much too angry with her at the moment.

He could of course see to the Archangel's move out into the harbour. Child's play, he scoffed. His crewe was certainly able to handle it without him having to baby sit their every action... no, there was one thing left for him to do... The Shippe was not too far away...for some strange reason he found himself already heading in that direction.

Crewe of the Archangel

Noticing Mistress McKinney's "admirer" had left, Reiley approached the door and gently knocked.

"That would probably be Dr. Reiley.." offered young Mr. Davis, seeking an opportunity to avoid the uncomfortable silence between himself and Mistress McKinney. "Would you like for me to answer the door, mistress?"

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

I wake up to find the ladies gone and a pounding at my door. I slide my breeches back on and grab a bottle from the table. I sniff the mixture and take a long drink from the bottle as the pounding continues. I rub my head and pull the handle open, Liam stands before me smiling. "Ya got anythin' left bruddah?" he asks with a grin. "Whaddya mean, shillings or..." "Shillings o' course," he cuts me off laughing. "Get dress'd, we 'ave a visit t' pay," he says changing his tone abruptly. "Aye. D' y' 'ave any shot left?" I ask him. Closing the door behind him, he pulls the pistol from his belt, "Aye, but me powder may b' bad."

Titim gan éirí ort.

There are many forms of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the boundaries into true corruption, into our domain.

Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries that are coming upon you! Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. James 5:1-3

Lady St. Claire quickly made her way into the streets of Port Royal. As of the moment, her mind quickly dashed back and forth with the feeling of accomplishment and woe. “Who does that whore think she is?” She said to herself dodging the endless flow people walking through the rain soaked street. “The nerve of her saying that I am not suitable to marry Captain Sterling; how dare she!”

Down the street she went continuing to converse in her own rantings until she realized she was finally back at The Ships Inn. She quickly made her way to the bar and looked at the barkeep there. “You there!” She barked her command as if she ruled that Inn. “Has anyone sent word for me? Has there been any news as of late?” The started barkeep looked at her and shook his head no. “There be no one looking for you my Lady. If you were, I’d make damn sure that a message would be left.” Tess’ eyes only narrowed and with a huff she continued through the bar and up the stairs to her room.

After taking off her hood and cape, she looked about the room for a moment. “Strange?” She said looking at her writing desk. “I don’t remember leaving my unfinished letters out?” A shiver of fear went through her at that moment. “Someone was in my room…but who?”

After taking off her hood and cape, she looked about the room for a moment. “Strange?” She said looking at her writing desk. “I don’t remember leaving my unfinished letters out?” A shiver of fear went through her at that moment. “Someone was in my room…but who?”

"Hmmm,mayhaps it was me," she heard a voice proclaim. She moved quickly back to the hall way and saw the figure of a man sitting at the far end in the darkness.

Crewe of the Archangel

Startled to find a complete stranger in her room she quickly jumped. “Who are you?” She said trying to control her fear. “I left instructions with the barkeep to notify me if I had any guests waiting for me. You, Sir, are not welcome and I strongly advise you to leave my lodgings this instant. If not, I shall scream.”

The man chuckled to himself. "Ye always were a screamer, Tess," he said as he rose to his feet. She did not know whether to run or cry out as the figure moved closer to her.

He continued toward her. Finally she retreated several steps but froze as the man passed into the dim gray light poorly cast from one of the small windows. Her jaw dropped as he moved closer to her, until he was able to reach out and take her about the waist.

"So Tess, what brings ye to Port Royal? Surely not the sun," the man said with a grin.

"John?" Tess whispered.

"Aye, surprised are ye not?" Sterling chuckled, then leaned in and kissed her.

Crewe of the Archangel

Shoving my pistol back into my belt I waited for Ian to finish dressing. I walked over to the bottle he set on the table and drank from it. "If we can find at store room where we got th jackets n dumped th body, der was more shot n powder in der. Now, We ain't gonna shoot im. . . . . I got a plan ta do it quiet." He drew the dagger on his belt and touched his finger to the tip. "I could do im like th guard on th ship, or I could slit im from ear ta ear. . . . See if we can get im into th back store room, no one will know til later, th bastard." I carefully put the dagger back in its sheath and leaned against the wall, crossing my arms. "Shake a leg Ian, it ain't a short walk ta Lime street."

Titim gan éirí ort.

Go mbeire an diabhal leis thú

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

The warmth of his hands about her waist and the sweet sound of his voice suddenly brought forth all the old emotions that she still felt for Captain Sterling. Tess was no longer frightened to say the least. She moved her hands to his face, as if to cradle it in a loving manner and gave him a kiss in return. The kiss then drew more passionate as she began to stroke his hair and her hand graced his face.

That was until the Captain quickly pulled way from her touch. “What is it John? Do you not wish me to greet you like I use to? Do you still hold me accountable for what happened in the past?”

I took one last look at the pair, then turned from the rail and returned to my cabin to dress for my evening appointment.

I paused before going below. I couldn't decide if it was the appearance of the two strange riders, the coming meeting, or the contents of my ship, but a great uneasyness swept over me, stronger than anything before. I called out to Africa.

He came away from sewing a patch in one of the sails, and in his low deep voice, ansered, "Yes, Captain?"

"I couldn't do it before, due to the calm after the storm, but the wind is favorable now, so I want you to take the Rakehell away from the dock and stand her out in the bay."

"You think trouble comin'?"

"I'm not sure, just a feeling. I have a meeting this evening. If it goes bad, I may not return. If I haven't come back on board by midnight, then take the Rakehell out to sea, away from the God-forsaken port."

"I go wid you to this meeting. No one dare harm you den."

"No, I have to go alone. That was one of the conditions. If the meeting goes well, we get this blasted cargo off the ship and trade it for food and supplies. If it goes bad, well...just do as I ask, and get the Rakehell away from here."

He nodded, then said, "If it go bad, I take the ship out to sea, but I come back in a week. Den we look for you."

I smiled. "Alright, but before you return to Port Royal, dump that cargo over the side. Otherwise, this ship won't be safe."

He gave me a slight nod, then turned to order the crew to set enough canvass to sail the ship far out in the bay.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

The warmth of his hands about her waist and the sweet sound of his voice suddenly brought forth all the old emotions that she still felt for Captain Sterling. Tess was no longer frightened to say the least. She moved her hands to his face, as if to cradle it in a loving manner and gave him a kiss in return. The kiss then drew more passionate as she began to stroke his hair and her hand graced his face.

That was until the Captain quickly pulled way from her touch. “What is it John? Do you not wish me to greet you like I use to? Do you still hold me accountable for what happened in the past?”

Sterling moved away from her, now keeping his distance.

"Hold ye accountable? Nay, tis only my father that I hold accountable but I've learned over the years never to heed his advice nor follow his example."

Crewe of the Archangel

"That would probably be Dr. Reiley.." offered young Mr. Davis, seeking an opportunity to avoid the uncomfortable silence between himself and Mistress McKinney. "Would you like for me to answer the door, mistress?"

“Please do.” Said Lilly as she wiped her face clear of her tears. As Mr. Davis opened the door there stood Doctor Reiley with sack in tow. As the Doctor looked at Mistress McKinney he could tell that things were not well. “Evening Mistress.” Said the good doctor as he placed his sack upon the table. “If you don’t mind me saying so, Mistress it looks like you could do with a bit of sleep. Perhaps I can administer something for you?” Lilly just nodded. “Is there something in that sack that would make all my troubles fade away?” The Doctor was now concern by the tone of her voice. “What is it Mistress? What ever is the matter?” Lilly sighed once more before she broke down in tears. “My life…it is ruined. I am to return to London as soon as possible if I ever wish to see my beloved baby boy again.” “Baby?!” Uttered the doctor. “Oh, ‘tis a long tale of woe, I assure you, Doctor.” Pulling a tin from his bag. “You cannot do anything about the matter as of this moment, can you?” She shook her head no. ‘Very well then. I shall have you a bit more…relaxed in a moment or two. Just lay down for the moment.” The Doctor then looked at Mr. Davis. “Go fetch some hot water from the kitchen, Mr. Davis and be quick about it….and no loitering.”

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

The return ride was much in qualities as the trip out had been, though some things had altered in nature. Sabastian's inner tranquility matched what had been shown without; but companion had grown more aggitated and what had so carefully been concealed rose up as the rear of rookery was achieved.

As Begger Prince dismounted, handing reins into the care of Sean Roberts, unconscious note was taken in the absence of Christophe doing the same. There was a slow smolder in the Frenchman's eyes, his jaw rigid set as a mirror to posture. Sabastian raised a brow while removing the soft encasement of gloves, knowing well after all these years that prodding the other would gain no ground.

Christophe dismounted slowly, keeping his back turned as if to hide further the chance of expression betrayal. A glance was cast barely over shoulder, "'Ow could you condone and even futher, approve of this choice? He will never understand her....not as we do...." The Frenchman turned sharply, eyes narrowed, "Do not tell me that he proffesses love. How could he truly love what he has no understanding of....?"

He dropped his train of sight to the cobbles underfoot, voice declining to near whisper, "He can never love her...as we do..."

"Hold ye accountable? Nay, tis only my father that I hold accountable but I've learned over the years never to heed his advice nor follow his example."

“That retched man!” Tess said looking for the lamp upon her writing table. “He shattered all our dreams, didn’t he?” Sterling now staying back into the shadows said nothing in return. “Oh, where is my head.” Tess said jokingly. “I’ll have this room illuminated in just a few ticks. Then I we can have a proper conversation.” With that she struck a match and lit the lamp. The room filled with a warm soft glow as Tess adjusted the flame. As she turned around once more to the Captain, it was then she was started by what she saw. She quickly gasped, moving her hand to her mouth to stop her from crying out. “What in God’s name happened?!” She said as the words finally came to her lips.

As Captain Striker started to collapse, Ioan caught and eased him back into a chair. The man's face was white, and beads of sweat stood out on his brow.

"Barkeep!" Ioan shouted. "Bring a bottle over here."

The curious man rushed over with an open bottle of rum. Ioan grabbed it from his hand, tipped Strikers head back, pulled his chin down, and dribbled the liquid down his mouth. With a sputter, the Captain opened his eyes, but they were pinched with pain.

Ioan looked at Jane. "Come on, lass. Let's get the good Captain back to his ship. Then you better check that wound again."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg