Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

“Indeed. But what good is drink when there is gold to be had?”

:lol: Dan watches the brothers leave the tavern and his gaze closes on the Spaniard, his eyes narrowing. "Who needs gold when there be free drink at hand? Besides, hehe, I've made a few coin today" he says, his hand closing on the butt of his pistol. "Aye, 'twould be a cold day indeed fer old Hob afore a Scotsman would take coin from a Spanish peacock, less it be at the point o' his cutlass." Dan calmly lifts his pistol from the bar, cocking back the lock and turns to face the newcomer. "Ye can be taken yer coin elsewhere" he says with a sneer. :lol:

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum...

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sterling waited as March went over a few more items of note. As good eye came to rest on young lad, his first reaction was concern.

"What is it?" he asked Jason, pushing past his first officer. "Yer Mistress has not come into harm's way, has she?"

Jason backed a step instinctivly with Sterling's sudden approach, nodding his head in negation of query. A quick glance was throw about the near surround as he settled back at rest.

"No Sir....I was sent to bring you where Sabastian and some of the others are. My Mistress has been sent further up the coastline to safer ground."

Young lad shuffled his feet uncomfortably.

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Sterling paused a moment, concerned look lessening about his filthy visage.

"Sorry lad, not be meanin to give ye a fright. Tis good to see ye again... since..." hand absent- mindedly moved to shoulder. He grimaced slightly, with task at hand complete, ache was quick to settle back into his form.

"I shall take my leave of this place then. Mr. March," Sterling said, focus once again placed upon first officer as good hand was extended.

"Captain!" March said, warmly accepting what was offered. "God Bless ye sir, ye and the new Mistress." March's eyes sparkled with mirth. "Take as many days as ye like, Sir. I be certain the lass will be grateful to have ye all to herself for a bit. I know well enough how to contact ye if needed..."

"No more broken windows Andrew!"

"Not a one, ye have my word. Take care John, and ... ahem... try and git a bit of rest," March added with a grin.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Jason lead a crooked path through the byways and alleys until Old Church was sighted. Turning down bordering lane, he glanced briefly overshoulder to ensure of Sterling's follow. At lane end, guide moved to the shadow of large facade, rapping once. A momment passed then door was answered with slight crack then allowed full gape.

Devon moved to door framing, surveying Sterling's appearence with a chuckle then allowed access to dark interior, "Bastian is on'na roof. Jason, be a good lad an' show 'im the way. Watch yer step now, boyos."

Entrance was resecured and what illumination could be spared from early evening dim dissipated as if unwelcome to storehouse borders.

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

“Su pérdida” Ulises shrugged, the coin stilling in his hand before it disappeared back into the dark folds of his coat.

Unfazed by the raised pistol, his sinister eyes never wavered from the red haired man’s. A burn of anger stirred in his chest. His frown deepened noticeably. His own men were useful but only to a certain extent. In order to get close enough to La Maligna for the next stage of his plan, Ulises needed an English speaking agent. It was a roll he was willing to pay handsomely for, more than petty thieving drunkards could ever hope to gain on their own. Unfortunately his first estimation of the men had been correct. They were nothing more than words without action. Sternly Ulises spun on a heel, long strides pulling him towards the tavern entrance.

“Tontos” he muttered in frustration as his dark shadow disappeared into the fading daylight.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Devon moved to door framing, surveying Sterling's appearence with a chuckle then allowed access to dark interior, "Bastian is on'na roof. Jason, be a good lad an' show 'im the way. Watch yer step now, boyos."

"Watching for fireworks, is he?" Sterling chuckled, then thought better of it.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Stairway sprawled upward, intermittantly stayed in course by two landings playing keeper to hooded lamps. At the top, hidden from clear sight, lay doorway to the plateau of roof kingdom, here Jason went ahead to offer better showing of its' existance.Early evening's muted light dropped down inclince sluggishly and Jason waved Sterling forward.

At roof's edge, Sabastian crouched on the balls of his feet; postured as those beings ever watchfull from Notre Dame's ornate vistas.

Doctor Rieley returned Mistress McKinney to the Three Crowns as promised. Making sure that she was comfortable in her room, the doctor sent up Mr. Davis to make sure she was secure in her needs. “After a good rest, I shall call for you evening meal, Mistress.” Mr. Davis said at the edge of the doorway. The Mistress turned towards Mr. Davis and shook her head. “I shall not be taking an evening me this night. I have not the strength to do so.” Mr. Davis’ face fell. “Shall I send over Dr. Reiley, Mistress?” She cast her eyes back towards Mr. Davis and in a low whispers said, “Please do so, and ask him if he has a cure for a broken heart.”

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

At roof's edge, Sabastian crouched on the balls of his feet; postured as those beings ever watchfull from Notre Dame's ornate vistas.

Sterling balked a moment, the loss of light playing havoc with his eye sight. Heights did not trouble him but a misplaced step was more than enough to make him pause. Let them laugh, he thought. He had better things to do than dally about on rooftops. Aurore was waiting...

"Would ye be mindin a bit more lamplight here?" he asked looking to the boy. Cautiously he made his way closer to his gargoyl like brother in law. "How fare ye through the fire? No loss I pray."

Crewe of the Archangel

Lauritzsen followed the girl through the narrow alleys and noticed that he was not the only one .There were two other sailors , dark skinned sailors . The captain had told him that the assailents the night before were Spaniards , these men looked as to be of that very same country of the cursed Iberian peninsula.

What was the connection between them and the captain's girl ? He decided to see what would happen .

He moved between the shadows so he would not be seen . He almost felt as if he was the good captain Striker . The captain was known for appearing out of the blue. It was almost as if he was etheral being. Aye , he had the gifts of a spectre . The crew despised it when Striker suddenly stood behind .

The way that Lauritzsen saw it , it was a good way to keep the men working hard and not loafing around .

The girl went into a inn with the Spaniards behind her. Lauritzsen followed.

The girl went up the stairs and the followers stood around the bar observing the inn.

A couple of minutes later a young sailor came down from upstairs. It was odd the sailor's facial features were somewhat familiar. It could not be , could it ?

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

Sabastian held a hand up, cautioning against Sterling coming forward. Regaining full heigth, lazy streach of fluid motion gave emission of small poppings then roof edge was left.

"We are fortunate, none of ours have been touched...Though I fear some that have dealing with us have not fared quite as well." Quick survey was given to the still linger of fire's belch polluting the heavens with a tsk. Sabastian indicated doorway maw, "Perhaps we should retire below, there are things which I must hand over to your possession."

Sterling could not help but smile broadly. "My darling girl for one?" He sighed contentedly at the thought of finally holding Aurore in his arms without concern of interuption. Then smile somewhat tamed as new ache filled his being... by God he missed her. How would he ever be able to sail without her?

He allowed Devareaux to proceed first, not wishing to hold him up with his own slowness. He mused a moment longer as Sabastian made his way, then followed caustiously behind, his mind already wondering what else, other than coat and hat, he had left behind.

Crewe of the Archangel

:lol: Dan returned the pistol to the bar, uncocking the mechanism carefully and picked up his tankard. "Bloody Spaniards" he muttered under his breath. He looked up agian with a start, thinking the Spaniard had returned as footsteps crossed the threshold his hand again reaching reflexively for the pistol as two men and a woman entered the Three Crowns. He watched calmly as they climbed the stairs to the rooms above. Again picking up his tankard, he took a large drink. " The fire must be out " he thought to himself. "The tapster be returnin' soon," he reached over the bar and refilled his tankard with the rich brown ale.

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum...

Sabastian lead downward to landing below, then onward into a small room. The furnishings were sparse and utilitarian, but the surround far more lit than what was to be witnessed elsewhere in the structure's command. Seating himself at large and somewhat battered table, Sabastian indicated a chair to Sterling. Reaching for a leather satchel that dominated the surface afore him, Beggar Prince cast a enigmatic glance to companion then withdrew contents to the glow of tallow render.

A set of keys were laid aside with wax sealed parchment, to be joined by another parchment sealed in same manner with differing sigil. Rom eyed Sterling, secretive smile hinting at the corners of his mouth as the objects were push towards the other.

“Tontos” he muttered in frustration as his dark shadow disappeared into the fading daylight.

Liam and I stood in the alley waiting for the Spanish men to exit. "Mister," we whisper to him quietly. "Coin y' say," I reply. "'S long 's th' drunk isn't involved, we may b' yer men. Let 's walk from 'ere.""

Titim gan éirí ort.

There are many forms of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the boundaries into true corruption, into our domain.

Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries that are coming upon you! Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. James 5:1-3

Sterling's eye brows arched inquisitively.

"Keys?" he asked inclining forward to retrieve them. He cocked his head slightly, looking at brother-in-law as he waited for explanation. "Ye've gone and locked yer sister up?" slight grin stiffled rapidly.

Crewe of the Archangel

Sabastian chuckled, "I would not be one brave enough to try." He leaned forward, index finger indicating the document that lay closest to where the keys had.

"The keys go with this deed. A small piece of land and the house that sits upon it. I had aquired it with certain intentions and I think in some ways those intentions will be filled by proxy."

For a moment, Sterling chilled at the thought and then male pride over took him. He stood, shaking head.

"I cannot possibly accept such a generous gift... I ... I ..." he calmed himself as thoughts quickly engulfed him. Where on earth would he find the cash in order to provide for Aurore at the moment? He resumed his seat. With eyes closed and slow dip of head, he whispered "thank you."

Crewe of the Archangel

"De rien, ami..." A small shrug was given. Second document was pushed closer to Sterling.

"My sister asked that this be obtained for your benefit and it has finally come into my hands. It had been her desire to give it to you after the ceremony, but things did not work out as planned. She will be understanding in my intercede of such."

Sabastian leaned backwards to chair support, " I do believe that Modyford's signiture and stamp are enough to give that validity."

It was almost quarter past the hour by the time the good doctor arrived. “Mistress?” He said as he knocked upon her door. She responded with, “Enter.” As he walked through the dimly light room he could tell that she was still suffering. “Mistress? I hear from Mr. Davis that you are…not well?” Lilly’s face now drawn from lack of sleep and the abundance of stress could be seen even in the dimly lit room. “I am not well. I require sleep, but it escapes me.” The doctor knelt down to Lilly’s side and examined her eyes and the color of her skin. “Perhaps another bleeding is in order?” “No,” She said pulling away from his touch. “Nothing seems to help this pain. Leave me if you cannot do anything for me.” The hurt expression upon the doctor’s face was evident. “I…I am fearful of leaving you in this state?” She waved her hand impatiently. “You have nothing to fear. Now, do you have anything for me?” The good doctor let out a sigh. “I can administer a tea that will help you sleep, but nothing that will cure what ails your heart, Mistress.” With a sorrowful look, Lilly cast her eyes to her bed linen. “I thought as much.” Her tone was soft and light. “Then leave me to my own means, Doctor if you have nothing to suit me.” It was then the doctor rose and left her side, as he got to the door he hesitated, as if to say something, but fearing that this was neither the time nor place, he kept quiet. “Good night, Mistress.” He said as he shut the door. Mistress Lilly said nothing in return.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Letters of Marque....

Sterling's fingers hovered over the proper legal papers. A gift from his beloved? Had she not always intended to give him such an offering? He reclaimed the actions of his hand, shifting not to retrieve letters but to rest hand apathetically in lap. He stared almost blankly at the items. Had they not been his sole desire since he first dropped anchor in Jamaica's harbour? At one point he was almost willing to sell his soul for the documents and now, here, placed before him by the very woman he loved...

He slowly reached forward once again, fingers this time forced about the letters and made to pick them up. The very means to allow him to make sail, the very means to separate him from his new wife... a safe guard or a death warrant? He glanced across at his brother-in-law, it was all he could do to nod his head.

Crewe of the Archangel

Sabastian's brow furrowed slightly to the reaction, "Something is wrong?...Aurore said from the beginnings that you were in need of those, but you do not seem pleased with their presence..."

Charles Chole hurried down the rickety stairs, turning sharply to exit through the back alley behind the tavern. He took no notice of the other man in the main room, to intent on his final destination. As he reached the streets his pace quickened, until the Anna Rae came into sight. His heart nearly stopped seeing the merchantman still fully docked. Crew bustled on her decks stowing cargo, but no canvas was set, no preparations to moor further from the flaming city visible.

“Wot’s this?” He hollered to the first available man. Thin arms gestured wide, indicating the lack of preparations. He cringed involuntarily as the shower of sparks fell around the merchantman’s deck.

The thick necked sailor paused as he bent to an over sized crate. A work creased face rose to greet Charles “Ahoy Chippy. Cap’n says ta get all tha cargo stowed right quick afor we haul inta tha bay.”

“Is ‘e out ov ‘is wits?” rage burned at the carpenters cheeks.

“Glad ta see yer joinin’ us lad” Captain Fulton hollered, cutting off Charles’ rant.

The young man spun on his heel, furious glare directed at the captain. The overweight man was reeling drunk and obviously in a terrible mood. He swayed on his feet more than was needed on the anchored ship. Charles’ furry was uncontrollable. He remained on the decrepit Anna Rae out of duty to the previous carpenter. When Joseph had died Charles promised to keep the ship floating, what ever the cost. He had ignored the near starvation, even the lack of pay in order to keep his vow. The threat of fire and loss of life was too much for him to bear.

“Wot’s tha meanin ov this Fulton? Ye intend ta ‘ave us all burnt to a crisp sittin ‘ere in tha docks?” His voice carried loudly over the ship.

Work slowed as crew paused to watch the altercation, many secretly rooting for the young carpenter as he railed against the drunken captain. Fulton’s rum reddened eyes locked on the other man. He became suddenly sober, anger overriding the alcohol in his blood. Fat legs stepped closer to the challenger, thick palms rolled into heavy fists.

“Fininsh the loading. All o ye!” his round face hollered, sending the observers scurrying back to their chores.

“Lot ov good tha cargo’ll be when tha ships nothin but a cinder!”

The swing of the Fulton’s fist caught Charles off guard. His jaw reeled, the rest of him stumbling behind. He regained his footing quickly, furious green eyes locking on the red faced captain. His jaw set, prepared for any additional blow the man dealt. A torn cuff wiped the trickle of blood from his split lip defiantly.

“Best git ta work then boyo. Less ye want a date with me daughter. Aye?” The threat was clear in the captain’s still balled fists.

Charles ground his teeth together. His mind raced over his limited choices. At least on the Anna Rae he had gained some position and level of safety, on another ship or shore there was no such guarantee. He closed his eyes, inhaling a deep breath of the smoky air, mind drifting back to only a few hours prior. A tight knot formed in Charles’s gut, he should have stayed on La Maligna but old obligations stood in the way. His proud head fell as he admitted defeat.

“Aye, captain” He spit the words at the loathsome leader. Turning sharply he descended into the hold of the merchantman to assist with the stowage.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

"No, no. They appear quite in order... I assure ye..." Sterling said shaking his head. He quickly gathered the papers and keys together. "And aye, Aurore is correct regardin my need of the letters and grateful I am to ye fer obtaining them. Tis just that..." he stopped himself, watchful eye moving over Devareaux in contemplation. No, he thought, best to keep his feelings to himself, even if it was concerning the other's sister. Besides, God only knew when Sir Henry would actually be ready to sail... he still had time.

"Yer sister is an amazing woman. Blessed I am that she would consent to have a poor wretch like myself." His gaze fell upon the letters again. "And now..." he stood and held out his hand to Sabastian. "Well time's a-wastin! Forgive me if I wish to be headin to my beloved bride instead of staying in the company of an ugly brute such as yerself," he added with a wink.

Crewe of the Archangel

Sabastian gaged Brother-In-Law's hesitation of words, but allowed the incident to slide by as if unoticed. Sterling's jab hurried forth a mock expression of indignation, "Monsieur! You wound me to mine very core. You would prefer the company of my sister to myself!? Mon Dieu!!!"

He stood then, chortling to the scene then recomposing, fixed the other with familliar smirk, "Well then...It seems as all is in safe keeping here in town. I shall escort you to the place where those keys have sway before the night is upon us.....And I have an appointment to keep this eve, as well."