Jumping Back Aboard

Raeadh`ani

Ah well now that my wedding which was Saturday is over.. and the weekend at the SCA event which is was held at is over...and the Monday taken off work to....sleep is over; I'm bbaacckk. Not that anyone knows me from Mother Mary.

Must say, it was a hell of a weekend. :ph34r:

Okay, now on to the newbie's question...stupid as it may be, I'm curious. :)

Movies, media and the like all have pirates talking in the same dialect and accent. My question is, did they really talk like that? Was there actually documentation for pirates of the golden age speaking in the 'pirates dialect'?

Most people want to be the sun to shine upon the brightest days.

I would rather be the moon to brighten up the darkest hours.

Welcome back Rae, an' congrats on th' weddin'.

Check out the 'Pirate-y Language' thread in Rabble Rousing. That'll get ye started, at least. Ye may also want ta plunder th' 'Captain Twill' forum an' see if anyone else 'as brought it up.

Rumors of my death were right on the money.

A most hearty welcome back. And my felicitations on your bonding. This round be on me lass.

:rolleyes:

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Congratulations to you, Raeadh'ani.

As re your question, a good deal of pirate dialect is authentic. "David Jones' Locker," for instance, was real pirate speak, as reported by George Roberts when he was captured by Ned Low's pirates in 1722. So was "dog" as an insult.

A good deal of pirate dialect comes from Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island, which is probably a very accurate representation of sailors' dialect in the late nineteenth century. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell if the same style of speaking was used in the Golden Age.

Nobody really knows if "yo ho" was authentic pirate speak, but something like it certainly was: "hoa hoa" was definitely a way of greeting another ship in the early 1700s, before the word "ahoy" was invented.

I'm pretty sure "avast" is authentic pirate talk also, although it is almost never used correctly in the movies. "Avast" in its proper use is a command to stop whatever you are doing immediately.