Blackbeard Movie on Hallmark Channel

THE worst pirate movie ever made?

SWASHBUCKLER!

THE BEST- "Treasure Island" with Charlton Heston

Here's an interesting note- David Bailie, who plays "Cotton", was one of Dawg's pirates in "Cutthroat Island" (according to IMDB.com).

Yours, Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, I got Blackbeard on DVD and thought it was good fun, if slightly cheesy.

Certainly loads better than Pirates of Treasure Island. (Which literally made me sick, because I was drinking so much rum to try to make it bearable.)

Weaving a historical figure like Blackbeard into a fictional plot is somewhat problematic; however, it's not the first time it's been done. The novel On Stranger Tides also took great liberties with the Blackbeard legend. (Although I think Tim Powers had a more thorough understanding of the legend he was deliberately transforming than the Hallmark producers did with their weak & haphazard tale.) [i'd love to see a movie version of On Stranger Tides, btw!]

The Maynard character was sorta handsome, but an awful stuffed shirt. It was difficult to feel much empathy for him and Charlotte. [Jack Shandy and Beth Hurwood made a much more interesting romantic pair, in contrast.]

Mad Mike wrote:

THE worst pirate movie ever made?

SWASHBUCKLER!

Careful, Mad Mike ... Iron Bess might want to dispute that.

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

I know what you mean, Hester! I like POTC, but once I saw those skeleton pirates, I thought to myself: "This movie should have been 'On Stranger Tides.'"

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Found it in the $5.50 bargain bucket a few month ago. Wasn't too bad fer noise an entertainment iffins ye had a project goin' at the same time. Near the end is a rather bad gizzard thrust, which even noncombat mundanes will recognize as an underarm miss. Right at the end ya can be seein' the reflection 'o the cranes rotating safety beacon in the ships riggin. ;)

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.