About to build a small sailboat, anyone else ever?

kaizoku

http://www.unclejohns.com/skiff/Default.htm

I was going to purchase their kit which is 130 for all the wood except the bottom and sides. I am also going to buy their rudder hardware but make my own sail since they only make blue and white(im gunna do black)

Here are some pics of the kit done

13%20ready.jpg

wboat2.jpg

So has anyone ever attempted this? Im a bit worried about the fiberglassing for waterproofing part the rest I think I should be ok with.

Has anyone ever fiberglassed something like this that could shoot me some pointers?

Also, does anyone know where I can get old hooks and stuff that look like they are from the piratical times?

I plan to paint it a wooden color(preferably figure out how to stain over fiberglass cloth if its possible? I dont know. Or maybe black.

And also unlike the second picture who used side boards I want to set it up like the top one with the center dagger board that folds up like the rudder for beach landings.

And for another question anyone know where to acquire a mini mermaid for the front of the vessel?

"A merry life and a short one be my motto"

Avid the PA ren faire, or live nearby? We're trying to start a club/group to do some fun things outside of the faire! www.countyerdoubloons.com/tavern

Fiberglass is easy enough to do. If you can get your hands on a power sander, it makes the job look more professional. Just remember only to mix enough to do what you can during the time your working. Fiberglass is mixed with an epoxy hardener. You only have a little time to get it where you want and smoothed out.

If you're going to make the boat look like a wooden boat, don't worry about how smooth the fiberglass is. Just make sure you are plugging all the holes. You can always sand down the fiberglass to make it look cleaner.

You can tint your fiberglass to make it match your wood. West Marine has a nice supply of fiberglass tints. Although, you can paint fiberglass. You will have to prime it first, but then you can paint it any color.

I like center dagger boards myself, but they can keep slipping down and slow you down if you're on a run. Be sure to have a way to tie it up.

For piratical things, check out your local thrift store or visit www.deadmantellnotales.com . They always have fun piratical things.

Good luck and take some pics.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

So has anyone ever attempted this? Im a bit worried about the fiberglassing for waterproofing part the rest I think I should be ok with.

Has anyone ever fiberglassed something like this that could shoot me some pointers?

Fiberglassing isn't all that tough. I reccomend an epoxy like west system rather than the MUCH cheaper and more readily available polyester resin as it's much easier to work and bonds better but polyester is certainly doable if you are on any sort of a budget. I reccomend working with relatively small quantities of resin. As the material catalyses it releases heat which causes it to catalyse all the faster. In extreme cases it will actually smoke and I've heard will catch fire though nobody I know has personally experienced this. One technique I've seen is to mix the catalysed resin in a small container which is kept in a larger, ice-filled, container. In small area's it's sometimes easier to wet out your glass on a work surface (we use wax paper at work but I'm not a big fan of it) and then lay the wetted glass into place. On larger pieces wet out the surface you are applying glass to, then lay the dry glass on top and rewet until the glass becomes transparent. Well wetted glass is nearly invisible. Any opaque areas are bubbles and need to be worked down with a squeegee or fiberglass roller. If you have any other specific questions please lemme know.

Also, does anyone know where I can get old hooks and stuff that look like they are from the piratical times?

Not sure what you mean by old hooks but if you are looking for traditional looking gear you might try http://www.classicmarine.co.uk/ for traditional items. Alternatively, track down the marlinespike sailor by Hervey Garrett Smith. If I remember correctly it has general dimensions for making wooden cleats, rope stropped blocks, etc.

I plan to paint it a wooden color(preferably figure out how to stain over fiberglass cloth if its possible? I dont know. Or maybe black.

So far as I know you cannot stain glass. However there is a local here who did a relatively convincing plank job on his production fiberglass boat. If I see him soon I'll ask how he did it and will post the info here. The man is a professional though and is in the boat business so chances are the techniques used are pretty advanced.

And also unlike the second picture who used side boards I want to set it up like the top one with the center dagger board that folds up like the rudder for beach landings.

The pivoting type board is called a centerboard or swing keel if it's ballasted. Daggerboards move vertically in a trunk. For ease of construction I hearily reccomend using leeboards (like the center picture) as trunks can be tricky. Leeboards are very traditional, the dutch in particular are great fans - even carrying leeboards on relatively large ships. If your plans include drawings for a centerboard trunk and it's within you abilities to build one then you will have a much easier boat to sail.

And for another question anyone know where to acquire a mini mermaid for the front of the vessel?

Occasionally you can find nylon inflatable fenders shaped like a mermaid. http://www.boatersland.com/tay34444.html All in all they are small and easily atached to the boat. The biggest advantage of a fender mermaid on the bow is being able to protect the bow which is most likely to take dock damage. Give it a quick spray paint job (and keep the can of spray paint to touch it up regularly) and you are set. Once again, if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Ropework_Header.jpg

Made a kayak & added a sail rig on it. Miss Pearl & Morgan are right on with the method. When power sand, wear protective gear. This stuff gets everywhere ! I used those foam paint brushes to apply the epoxy.

They last for one application. Latex gloves are a must.

Best regards to ye.