Help me learn piracy.

Not a bad explanation Blackfoot and Cap'n Bob.That almost scrapes some of the bad treatment that the Lakota and the rest of the Native Americans had to endure when the European nations first landed on this continent.

The name "Sioux" is a French rendering of the Ojibwa word nadewisou, meaning "treacherous snakes." The name was never meant to be a compliment since the French were at war with us at the time.Before we had always referred to ourselves as "An Alliance of Friends."

In the Santee dialect, “alliance of friends” is spelled and pronounced, "Dakhota," in the Yankton dialect it is "Nakhota," and in the Teton dialect, it is "Lakhota."

Today, we the Lakhota live primarily on the Rosebud, Pine Ridge, Lower Brule, Standing Rock and Cheyenne River Reservations. In addition, thousands of our people have moved off the reservation in search of better education and employment.

Contrary to movies and popular belief, we the Lakhota are not history. We are very much here, struggling to keep abreast of an ever changing world. And, although we willingly take steps forward, we will never forget who we are and where we come from.

Quite a different story from the pirates life and the reasons for becoming a pirate but,I'm begining to understand the concept here and can in a way relate to the reasoning behind taking up a carreer as a pirate.

via Silver Wolf:
When did pirates first come to be?

Forget not the Phoenician pirates of the Hellenistic Period

And the vikins. Or Störtebeker and his Vitalienbrüder in Europe at the 14th century.

When I first got interested in pirates and piracy I read every book I could get my hand on. And I still think I don't know enough about it.

There were also another side of pirates called Privateers. These were people with Letters of Marque (pronounced Mark), that England, Spain, France and a few lesser countries had under their 'mark' of the throne who gained prominence by doing what is sometimes called, 'legal piracy'. The piece of paper from the ruler of the country gave the Captain(s) of the ships the 'right' to take ships and their cargo back to their countries.

Besides, Under the Black Flag by David Cordingly that has already been mentioned, here's a short list of books I highly recommed for reading if you can find them at the library or purchase:

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Pirates by Gail Selinger

World History

Pirates-Terror on the High Seas from the Carribbean to the South China Sea-consulting editor- David Cordingly

Piracy- Days of Long Ago by Kenneth W. Mulder

Pirates of the Pacific by Peter Gerhard

The Pirates Own Book-Authentic Narrratives of the Most Celebrated Sea Robbers by the Marine Research Society

Bold in Her Breeches- Women Pirates Across the Ages, edited by Jo Stanley

A History of Pirates- Blood and Thunder on the High Seas by Nigel Cawthorn

Pirates & Outlaws of Canada 1610-1932 by Harold Horwood and Ed Butts

Crossroads of The Buccaneers by H.DeLeeuw

The Pirate Trial of Anne Bonney and Mary Read by Tamara J. Eastman and Constance Bond

(*Special note here: Tamara is a direct descendant of Anne Bonney)

So I hope this will help you and anyone else reading this and want to know what books are worth the read.

In my research of pirates this is what I have come to as an explanation to my questions on the meaning of what a pirate is.

A pirate is someone who robs at sea or plunders the land from the sea without commission from a sovereign nation. One who preys on others; a plunderer. One who makes use of or reproduces the work of another without authorization.

He or she uses a ship for this purpose. Favored ship for most pirates was a sloop for it's speed and easy mobility.

Am I right in my conclusion and understanding of pirates?

Unfortunately it's true. I suppose by your way of thinking that us 'white people' pirated your lands, which of course would be true.

We all know this, yet we still dress up and 'play' because it's something we've somewhat glorified with fantasy from the movies and television, this includes the hardcore person who insists on doing everything as historically accurate as possible (just as you say you do).

All in all though, it's done in fun at Renaissance and Pirate Faires. We are there to ENTERTAIN the public that come to see us.

It's the same way with Pow-wows open to the public- you are there to ENTERTAIN.

I will tell you what I don't agree with regarding the current trend in Native American garb - the use of sparkly modern day beads, bells, feathers etc. that are not of the region they come from, and jewlery that clearly is modern. Items sold to the public are modern in their making, as I've been to a few Pow-wows and seen booths set up to sell jewlery and things certianly are not from a person whose mind is of 'this is what they did back then' kind of attitude.

So in that respect, Native Americans may 'think' they are doing what their ancestors did, but in reality it's not.

Just as I stated before, regardless of whatever lore may be handed down, whatever may be written in books or pictures, the dress and attitude are different, because we are a nation of literacy that has grown and changed with the times, so the fact is, you are re-creating what you believe.

Do you go around killing people today because the white man took away your things in the past? Of course not. Just as we are portraying pirates and wenches doesn't mean we really do those things in real life either.

We people as a whole have real lives, jobs, cars and interests that go far beyond just the one part we do.

Just as you have a computer; didn't have those back in old days of yore did you?

It's all done in learning and fun.

In my research of pirates this is what I have come to as an explanation to my questions on the meaning of what a pirate is.

A pirate is someone who robs at sea or plunders the land from the sea without commission from a sovereign nation. One who preys on others; a plunderer. One who makes use of or reproduces the work of another without authorization.

He or she uses a ship for this purpose. Favored ship for most pirates was a sloop for it's speed and easy mobility.

Am I right in my conclusion and understanding of pirates?

Yes, that's a good black and white description of piracy. Of course, there are various shades of grey in that mix.

Skip all the second-hand stuff, and look for first-hand accounts from the guys who were there - William Dampier, Lionel Wafer, Basil Ringrose, to name a few. Dampier was a keen observer of nature and a man ahead of his times.

Here's a sample:

http://www.athenapub.com/damp2.htm

Or Exquemeling's account:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/m.bruyneel/archive/...boa/tboa001.htm

Generally, you'll find they were mostly driven by greed, yet they often had an interesing outlook on things. Many were men of deeds, not words. Others were murderous cutthroats. A typical cross-section of humanity I'd surmise.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

...because we are a nation of literacy that has grown and changed with the times...

A quickie from Wiki(pedia)...

...In the United States, one in seven people (more than 40 million people) can barely read a job offer or utility bill, which arguably makes them functionally illiterate in a developed country such as the US. In 2003, the National Assessment of Adult Literacy (NAAL), conducted by the US Department of Education, found that fourteen percent of American adults scored at this "below basic" level in prose literacy. More than half of these persons did not have a high-school diploma or GED...

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

so the fact is, you are re-creating what you believe.

Sounds more like an opinion than a fact. Isn't this type of thing more like a religious ceremony? Would you call going to a church and watching/partaking in some ceremony there a re-creation?

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

...Isn't this type of thing more like a religious ceremony? Would you call going to a church and watching/partaking in some ceremony there a re-creation?

Just to play Devil's advocate, but also because I truly believe it so, yes.

You know as well as I, BlackJohn, that MOST ceremonies are in fact based upon a specific event(s) in the history of the system being examined.

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

Let me say and make it very clear to you that I as an individual do not have negative feelings toward the white man for his trespasses of the past.I do what I do to tell the other side of the historical facts from our point of view.I have many white friends to many to name and number.

There's really no need to try and "defend" what's going on in this forum.I already understand that it's done in "fun".I already mentioned this.

It's the same way with Pow-wows open to the public- you are there to ENTERTAIN.
It may be entertaining for those who watch the dances but,again my people do not dance to entertain the crowds.We do it to "educate" people of our ways and culture.
So in that respect, Native Americans may 'think' they are doing what their ancestors did, but in reality it's not.
Another thing nothing I do comes from something I "think"is accurate.I can not vouch for the people you are talking about by I can vouch for those who belong to the Lakota Counsil of the Eight Tipi tribes.

I do not wear bells and trinkets.All of my outfits are home made from scratch and are 100%authentic.You can not come to these conclusions by something you saw someone else do.And yes we also sell jewelry that is from this century as well.After all this is American and that's how most make a living.

Just as we are portraying pirates and wenches doesn't mean we really do those things in real life either.
There's nothing in anything that I've posted here that says that I've accused any of you of being REAL pirates is there?No.I'm looking at the real pirate history to get an idea of who "THEY" really were.

That's just how I am as a person.Isn't it wise to look into things before one jumps in with both feet first?To me it is wise.I never get into anything that I haven't looked into completely.I appreciate the comments and point of view though.And by the way I am and have been taking in everything that's been posted here.I also look at it from a historical angle to.

I never claimed to be a 'know-it-all', and sometimes when I write I don't explain things very well.

Yes Blackjohn is a bit more realistic than I am- since I come from more of a science fiction background (the license plate on my truck says STAR WRS), and one wonders how the hell I ended up here.... <_<

and Phil is correct in his assertion also.

We all see things differently and react differently. That's a good thing. This planet would be so boring if everybody was the same! :lol:

I never claimed to be a 'know-it-all', and sometimes when I write I don't explain things very well.
I know that RumbaRue. :lol: Nor am I trying to be rude or inconsiderate of your views and observations on Native Americans.And like anything else there are people who are not really Native American but,portray themselves at the Pow wows and away from them as such.

Again I'm taking it all in as if I were sitting in a classroom full of pirates.Listen and learning and doing my own research to compare and come up with the history behind it all.

As I stated in the first portion of this topic.I plan on getting all I can from you,the internet and any other resorces I can find to gain some knowledge on this topic.I really do appreciate the patience shown here in helping me better understand.I'm getting it I think so far.I'm also having fun talking to you about it to.Thanks! <_<

Welcome Silver Wolf.....and, allow me to say that I find your thought process in your research quite admirable.

If I may throw my 'two doubloons' into this mix I'd like to do it by quoting a piratical researcher that I have taken quite an interest in: Ken Kinkor

"Many would see pirates as scoundrels, pure and simple. But, if we look at the pattern of European society of the period we are compelled to conclude that these men were not simple robbers rather, they were acting against social grievances."

"Pirates had a spirity of liberty, equality and, fraternity."

"Piratical racial tolerance did not proceed from an idealistic vision of the brotherhood of man instead, it sprang from a spirit of revolt against common political, economic and, social oppression. The shared experience of oppression was thus a solvent that broke down social barriers within a pirate crew. Shared feelings of marginality meant that the primary allegiance of pirates was given to their brethern."

(quotes from Ken Kinkor)

I, myself, am an 'edu-tainer'...which means (to me) that although I dress the part of the pirate recognized by the average child on the street I also make it a policy to research, discuss and, teach historical facts within my classes. My children (ages 5 and up) not only have 'fun' portraying pirates from a 'comedic' standpoint but, also are required to take away some solid 'facts' about piracy.

Completely accurate and, true to history? Probably no way I could ever be and, still hold the public's interest....but, by using the 'lure' of the 'popular' pirate I am able to provide some 'accidental learning' for the children who are a part of my theatre troupe. And, hopefully, some fond memories as well.

There is nothing that makes me feel quite as grande as when a 7 or 8 year old child hauls a bag full of pirate books to my class.....eyes all shining with the 'pirate fever' and, proceeds to tell me "all about the pirates" as though he were the first to ever discover the facts!

These, of course, be only my humble opinions.

Fair winds to ye this day Silver Wolf and, much luck in your quest for piracy.

~Foxmorton