Cannons

Rumba Rue

A gaff rigged schooner, the Californian (replica of the C.W. Lawrence from the 1850s, so a bit later than GAoP) has 6 lb cannons. However, she's a fairly big schooner anyway, with an overall length of 145 ft and length on deck of 93.5 ft. The original Lady Washington (1750 era) was fitted out with two 3 lb cannons and two 6 lb cannons, as well as some swivels. I don't recall off the top of my head if that was during her privateering days, or (more likely) for her voyage to the west coast. It would probably depend a bit on the actual ship design (what cannons would fit where) and what was available. A small vessel can hold a big gun, but unless reinforced, the frames might not be able to withstand the recoil. Also a consideration is stability. Too much weight up high could cause the ship to capsize in heavy weather (or even calm weather...see the fate of the Wasa). Also, bigger guns meant more powder needed to be used for each shot, shot would take up more space, and more people were needed to man the guns. So although a pirate vessel might run heavily armed, that would probably entail a few 3-4 lb cannons, but maybe up to 6 lb, and an array of swivels and small arms. I've seen diagrams for up to 8 swivels and two cannons along the Lady Washington's rail (65 ft on deck and originally a sloop). However, the powder and shot needed to use all of them would seriously decrease the amount of room for cargo. Merchant ships would often go much less armed, with a couple of swivels and maybe a pair of small cannons.

Coastie :huh:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

The Lynx is a fairly early interpretation of Gaff rigged sails., it was somewhere in the 1797 thru 1805 era if I remember correctly.,

Most swivel guns ranged from., as small as 1" to 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" to 2" .

Also a 2lb gun., an old english at 30" was fairly common in the GAoP for smaller vessles Rumba. This was about a 2" bore at 30" it was small enough to be swivel mounted and still large enough to be carriage mounted., its sorta in the either way class.

A 4lb English Dutch or French gun was pretty much 300lb's a barrel at about 43" in length. Bronze being a little heavier.

I cant tell you much about Spanish Cannons cause I dont know except about the tigres., and their a bit big for this topic.

Were ya thinking about gettin some Bronze Culverines to fight of would be border's? If so try to use Grapeshot on them Rue., its not so hard on thier frame and youll be able to load the grapes fast if you make a Powder sabot.,and grapeshot pre-load pre packaged in a cloth bag.

What would happen to the weight of the ship if larger ones were installed?

On a ship with 2 or more rows of guns., of course the big ones went low., for example., from the bottom up ., 32lbers., followed above by 24lbers followed by 16lbers., then 12's ., or

say 12s then 6's ., or 24's and 12's ?

Rumba a woman such as yourself really needs a row of 6 - 6lbders on each side., followed by 4 2" swivel guns on the Poop Deck., and 4- 2" swivels on the forecastle., as well as 1 naval mortar and a small forge so you can throw hot shot at their sails and set them on fire.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

I guess having lot o' guns in a little counter productive on a pirate ship, where the point is to take the vessel in question (and her booty) not blow her out of the water.

I remember reading in a book about pirates what the commn size ship and number of guns was.... I can't remember, but I bet it was small. Maybe 4-8 guns?

Anyone care to help out with my bad memory here?

Greg aka GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Having lots of guns is never a bad thing (within the capacity of the ship to carry them.) All the better to take out the riggin' with chain shot and to defend yourself if the hunted takes it into his head to become the hunter. And you never know when you might meet up with a Navy ship.

Meanwhile, small sloops carried 6-10 main guns, and swivels as they could. This is of course a generalization, as bigger ships carried more and suplements changed the number from time to time on most vessels.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...