^, <, V

Pew

^ What? the local dive bar doesn't count as fancy? Then my previously mentioned Indian place.

< don't *have* to get dressed up to eat there but I like too.

V where/what do you dress up for that you don't have to?

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ This is SoCal luv, we don't dress up fer much. 'Cept mayhaps a night at the theatre. Went t' the Pantages, t' see, "The Phantom of the Opera." Folks were dressed fer that!

< It's sad really, often don't see folks dress fer weddin's or funerals, unless they're in 'em!

V Do ye like t' dress up?

^ :ph34r: why do you think I do this re-enactment thing Mr. Tar? It's an excuse to play historical dress-up & run around with other people doing the same thing.

< used to love to get dressed in vintage 50's cocktail dresses and go out in Chicago. Even got to meet Percy Heath because of my dress :ph34r:

V Ever worn something that got you special treatment when you went out?

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

^ Yep. Especially if it's the difference between in garb & in mudanes.

< I hide behind a lot of "stuff" in my regular appearance. Glasses, piercings, hair. Take those away & I look totally different (& naked to my own eyes :lol: ).

V glasses, contacts or good vision?

^ William..you're up?

< Everything ok?

Vpassing q along as Blackjohn is likely up,,

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

^ I coughed myself wide awake, and in the interest of letting my wife get some sleep, I have left the bed to cough at the computer.

< I can't remember the last time a sickness got me out of bed rather than into it.

V I'll passs the question again, since my brain is addled.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

^ Aww sorry you're under the weather..it seems this is going around..

< Kind of you to let the wife sleep

V You're not attempting math in this state are you?

^ Bless you. I thought I was quite beyond any laughing in my present state, but that produced a good natured chuckle or two.

< I never attempt math. I accomplish math. I subdue math. I do this to remind myself that my high school math teacher, an utter dolt who taught advanced algebra with hand puppets, that I have achieved a certain knack for math despite his ridiculous curriculum.

V Did anyone else have horrid math teachers?

^ Laughed...? Aye thats wot the Cat's here for! Glad it helped!

I had a cool math teacher He wore all denim and had grey hair. He taught us to make rubber band balls and gave us the answers WITH the tests teaching (or attemting to) the value of learning over cheating. Mr. Keller..I never forgot that.'

< My bio teacher was also cool..he taught us the following

Crunch squish = exoskeleton

Squish Crunch = endo skeleton

Science by stepping (figuratively of course)...also a lesson never forgotten...

V Are you wearing slippers?

DO you own slippers?

^I'm wrapped up in a blanket that was a recent birthday to my wife. I'm quite cozy. I do own slippers, but I have no idea where they are right now.

< I'm also feeling quite inspired for being awake at 5 of the morning and coughing. Little bits of art and literature keep passing through my mind at present, including...

"Is Brutus sick, and is it physical To walk unbraced and suck up the humors Of the dank morning? What, is Brutus sick, And will he steal out of his wholesome bed To dare the vile contagion of the night, And tempt the rheumy and unpurged air, To add unto his sickness?"

V Have you had your tonsils removed?

^ No..but I may wind up having a tooth or what remains of one pulled today..

< As well as a social ritual and a religious ritual, Greek theatre was also a healing ritual. Aristotle said tragedy was cathartic and purged through pity and terror; theatre healed. In parallel, the sacred sites of Asculepius the healer had theatres, or at least little odeion (performance spaces) in them where most probably spoken poetry, song and dance were seen. And Epidavros, the great healing centre, still has its large and beautiful theatre.

V In my stupor over the past few sleep derived days..I considered what a gold tooth implant would look like..after all its way at the back...heh..doubt it though..

Have or considering any "decorations" do you have pierced ears?

^Aye... ears pierced several times, Tattoos... and have done temporary stuff as well...

< Ah, the theatre... Ancient and not so much... Can't say I've read so many of the works of any playwright... but most I have enjoyed... Hmmm... need to see or read something soon...

V pass it along... lets see other answers to this...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

^ yep, but probably everyone knew that already. I am considering at least 2 new piercings (come next winter so they can heal before being taken out for events) and another tattoo or two depending.

< lets get back to math! I'll fully admit that I am *that* math teacher. Was at my mom's for less than 30 minutes last week when she threw me an Algebra 2 student doing direct & inverse variation. Mind you I haven't taught in ohh, 6 years. Guess math is like riding a bike (& I made some spending $$ :huh: )

V what do you find is like "riding a bike"?

^ riding a horse and pulling a trigger...

< Home today... bad food the night before... ugh. Horrid math teachers, you bet, hope I don't turn into one! :huh:

V draw, paint, or scribble?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

^ all of the above.

< I was especailly horrible because I'd make them write everything down. I don't care if you know that 2+2=4, write it down!

V do math in your head, write it all down or rely on the "gunkinator" (calculator :huh: )

^ All of the above.

< Most of the math I need to do these days is so complicated it takes many pages and there is no keeping it your head. Therefore I argue that my ability to do math in my head has been systematically removed do to lack of use.

V What parts of your brain no longer function as they should or once did?

^ Depends on how clear my mind is and the distractions. If a million things are going on at once, it's the calculator. If I have half a million things going on I write it down. Otherwise figuring it out in my head works just fine.

< I took an algebra class again in my late 20's just to keep the mathematical problem-solving abilities sharp. The class was fun and the teacher was a good one.

V What was your favorite class in school?

RHJMap.jpg

^ nope never did, but my fourth grade teacher really pushed me to do things I would never have done on my own... so she is my fav.

< beautiful day out today

v passing Jacky's question along

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

^ No never had a crush on one, but liked quite a few. Especially one of my high school art teachers.

< Just back from four days on the coast - ah, sea air, sea food, and well, sea anything!

V Pass question again.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Go write something in PR.... :huh: I'm bored

Crewe of the Archangel

^ Hee hee nope! A boss once..but no teachers..

< Mud....slushy mud..Had to seriously was th doggie this morning after his walk..Never get a white dog..ugh..

But the sun is out!!!! :huh::huh:

V Tomorrow is the first day of Spring..doin anything special?