Where to learn to sail?

capnwilliam

Can any mate recommend a good short-term sailing experience? Let me clarify.

I'm not interested in modern sailing craft, nor in Windjammer type cruises. Neither do I have the time to devote 9 consecutive weekends to volunteer crewing aboard an historic vessel some 300 miles away, nor am I young and AB enough to be climbing the rigging.

What I'm interested in is a cruise aboard a tall ship or other period type vessel, where we can (preferably) leave the sight of land, spend a night or two aboard, have an experienced crew, but be able to pick up some pointers about sailing the vessel.

Can anyone so recommend?

:lol:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

:) Well, first I'd recommend meself, but I don't know your proximity to San Francisco... then, well ye'll really hafta do some huntin', as very little stuff is that laid back or interactive due to insurance, etc., and most that do overnighters aren't period ships, but charter yachts..We just docked from exactly that kind of weekend.... :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of months ago, I had the opportunity to work aboard the Denis Sullivan for a week. It's a 19th century schooner based out of Milwaukee. I was able to live onboard and work as one of the crew. Every day we took her in and out of port for one activity or another - I ran sails, coiled rope, steered, stood watch, etc. etc. I'm guessing this sort of experience is more or less exactly what your seeking.

I could easily hook you up with the details, but as Milwaukee's pretty far from New Orleans, it's probably not quite what you need. But the good news (for you - sucks for us) is that the Sullivan has headed south for the winter, and offers programs in the caribbean/gulf of mexico region. I don't know if any of them are what you're looking for, but you can check it out at www.pierwisconsin.org. Check the "schooner" and "events" sections.

I'm sure there are other ships offering similar programs - I'd think New Orleans would have plenty of opportunities nearby.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

I recommend checking out the ASTA (American Sail Training Association) website:

http://tallships.sailtraining.org/

It's a good place to start. If you go to their ship's store, take note of the ASTA directory (says 'Sail Tall Ships!' on the cover) - I think non-members can buy it and it's WELL WORTH the money. It lists dozens and dozens of ships where one can learn sail training... BUT many of these also take passengers out for the day or for overnight cruises. So if you get this book, it will put you in touch with many ships that offer sailing experiences. Yes - many are schooners - but some are not. The Lady Washington (Interceptor from POTC) is in there, as is the Bounty, the Rose and many traditional sailing vessels. Not all offer over-nighters, but some do. Also, if you are anywhere near Mystic Seaport in Conn., they have the....ACK!!!....er...I think it's the Mystic Whaler...and that takes passengers out for cruises, I think overnight, too... not 100% sure on that...

Hope it helps..

das

Mystic Whaler...and that takes passengers out for cruises, I think overnight, too... not 100% sure on that...

I definitely attended a party this summer in the Great Salt Pond of Block Island. There were passengers on board for I believe a week-long trip. Regardless, there were definitely passengers aboard, and we had a grand ol' time singing song o' the sea, both traditional and modern. 'Twas quite fun. I highly reccomend the Lady Washington, as she is the best boat out there (and I've sailed a few, from long boats to the CGC Eagle).

Coastie :ph34r:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I definitely attended a party this summer in the Great Salt Pond of Block Island.  There were passengers on board for I believe a week-long trip.  Regardless, there were definitely passengers aboard, and we had a grand ol' time singing song o' the sea, both traditional and modern.  'Twas quite fun.  I highly reccomend the Lady Washington, as she is the best boat out there (and I've sailed a few, from long boats to the CGC Eagle).

Coastie B)

Ahhh!! I checked - yup, the Mystic Whaler takes passengers for both day sails and overnights. Last time I was at the Seaport, the Whaler was crawlin' wif a bunch of caterwaulin' seafarin' types during that thar Sea Music Weekend they be a-hostin' in the spring...

AH!! You've sailed the Eagle, eh? I was talkin' to a Coastie - he was just moving from Cape May up to Connecticut...I think he was a dentist (forget his name, though...). Anyway, he was tellin' me about going aloft in the Eagle and how exciting it was...and how when he looked down, instead of deck below him there was only sea. Of course, I'm simply amazed by such stories since I am REALLY afraid of heights, and SO glad that working or crewing on the Meerwald doesn't require me to go aloft (they use a bos'n's chair - so the rider better be light!! B) )

And the Lady Washington - well, she is a sweet li'l thing, isn't she?? I only wish she roamed a bit closer to Jersey, 'cause as it is, I doubt I'll ever get to sail on her...Blast that huge hunk of land laying...lying...(WHATEVER!!) between me and her!!! B)

B)

das

Can any mate recommend a good short-term sailing experience?

Elissa - Barque - Galveston, TX - http://www.tsm-elissa.org

Glen L. Swetman & Mike Sekul - gaff topsail schooners - Biloxi, MS - http://www.maritimemuseum.org

These are the ships I found in the ASTA directory that are closest to you. If you are really interested in sailing, and none of these are of interest to you (I think these only offer day sails), then I would suggest getting a copy of the ASTA directory, and checking out what other ships are available around the country. Perhaps you could plan a vacation around one of them, or check out their web sites to see if any are going to be visiting your area during the year.

I don't know how all volunteer programs work - the Meerwald's seems to be one of the best from a volunteer's standpoint. I just go when I can - either for maintenance or sailing, depending on the time of year. So, in the summer it's sailing - it's wonderful, yet sometimes it can be a little stressful, especially if a squall comes up or you have to handle a line for the first time in front of 40 passengers.... But in the winter it's an escape - pure and simple - like when I'm ALL alone on her, sanding or painting something :lol: ...(or better yet, the chilly winter's day I spent sittin' around wif the Cap'n and another hand in a cold, gray shipping shed, drinkin' amber brews and exchangin' tales as we went about dissectin' her engine, our only companion the musty scent of dank wood mingling with that of ale and kerosene and pine tar.... siiiigghhh...such fond memories...:) )

Anyway - not all volunteer programs require a lot of time and energy -and many, if not most, of those that volunteer for the Meerwald - both maintenance and for sailing - are retirees. Volunteers can also go on her transits from port to port - these are often overnight and require one to do such fun things as waking up at 4 a.m. to stand watch... :lol: I hope this all helps a little...and keep checking around, I hope you find something!!

das