Flintlocks and the Law

Black Powder gun laws are realy simple... even in California...... :lol:

It's the knife laws that get wierd.....

For example..... it is a felony offence to go onto school property with a knife designed for thrusting .... daggers etc.....

So an American Civil War reenactor asked to go to a school for a history presentation with a period bayonet, is comminting a Felony.......

[quote The PA code even states that antiques are not firearms, but that certain provisions (such as carry/transport) of the firearm sections do apply to antiques. The PA code has exceptions to exceptions to exceptions, but after you parse your way through it, you need a carry license to transport a flintlock in a vehicle except to/from a shoot, a dealer, or a repair place (and maybe a couple other exceptions). I don't think I want to say to a PA state trooper, "Yes I know it's illegal in PA, but the feds have nothing against it". :lol:

Are you sure that these laws do not make an exception for black powder weapons?

Also, when I lived in PA I remember that a "firearm" - regardless of how they might have incorporated the action type into the definition - was applicable only to handguns with barrels less than 12 inches, rifles with barrels less than 15 inches, or shotguns with barrels less than 24 inches.

Many flintlock pieces wouldn't qualify as "firearms" just on the basis of barrel length. :)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

I rte-read the section on exemptions and noted that the word "concealed" in the descriptor. this means that this section does not exempt antiques from the "concealed weapon" provision, meaning that you cannot carry a flinter in a manner meant to conceal its presence. Just my reading, mind you, consult a lawyer or play it safe if unsure.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• 3 weeks later...

Like the majority said, 'locks are not considered firearms.

IF you want to test out a supposition regarding them and the law, substitute the word firearm with the word bananna. If it doesnt make sense then your 'lock is not covered under that statute.

Example: Carrying a loded firearm in a vehicle is illegal

Carrying a loaded bananna in a vehicle is illegal.

See?

Under ATF regs, muzzle loading antiques OR replicas are not considered firearms.

I always knew it, but when importing a bronze half scale cannon from Old Limey, I had the opportunity to speak with several division chiefs in the BATF on this point. I was able to convince the Customs agent that the 'cannon' listed on the shipping manifest was not a firearm, and that was post 9/11 in the port of New Jersey.

Is it SMART to carry a loaded 'lock other then right before you intend to fire it? Well there were bold pirates, and old pirates but very few old, bold and STUPID pirates.

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

I rte-read the section on exemptions and noted that the word "concealed" in the descriptor. this means that this section does not exempt antiques from the "concealed weapon" provision, meaning that you cannot carry a flinter in a manner meant to conceal its presence. Just my reading, mind you, consult a lawyer or play it safe if unsure.

CAPT Jim,

Yes, I have read it that way too. But the non-exception refers to the 'section' concerning concealed weapons, and that section also covers transport in a vehicle. Pretty ambigous IMO.

CAPT Thighbiter,

I understand your points COMPLETELY from a FEDERAL perspective. PA code is more restrictive. PA code does not consider flintlocks to be firearms, but it absolutely does specifically apply some of the PA firarm sections to flintlocks. And the more restrictive code (PA in this case) would prevail.

The Dread Pyrate MacAnselan

aka Mick

PA sucks, move to Florida.

Jesting, just jesting. But FL laws allow a lot of BP fun to happen. Now to change these foolish fireworks laws....

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...