Any leatherworkers know how to make a baldric?

Ahoy there to all. I'm looking for anyone who may have any information on how to make a sword baldric. I have some knowledge of leatherworking and would be interested in making a sword baldric to go with a cutlass I will be looking to get eventually. Any assistance would be greatfully appreciated.

Morick Towain

Captain of the Pirate Brethren of Texas

Morick Towain

IBoRP #116

Captain of the Pirate Brethren of Texas

You can find plans for making a leather baldric in the May 1999 issue of No Quarter Given. It's a special design that's comfortable and hangs attractively on the shoulder. It's available in the new NQG Collected Volume no. VI. It gives patterns for cutting the leather pieces, with instructions on how to put them together. I'm not a leatherworker - but I've been told ya only need basic leatherworking skills for this project.

Blackheartedly yrs,

--Jamaica Rose

"Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't."

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

I am an amateur leather worker. I have made MANY MANY things for myself and others. I have made a baldric for myself. I based my design on baldrics that others have and several pictures. I found that it helps to have a second person to help do the fitting. If you know of a seamstress, then the work is that much easier. ( as far as the fitting and measuring goes.) It is true that basic skills will enable you to do this project. As far as connecting the two pieces. I have seen them sewn . I used copper rivets. It is strong and gives it a rather rough look. I started with a 7 foot belt that I bought at a ren fair. Then I measured how long I would need each piece and made the cut. Then I used spring clips to hold the pieces in place as they were fitted to me. Marked them on the underside and laid them out. Pre punched my holes and then riveted. The rest was just a matter of adding buckles and punching holes etc....... There is one thing different about mine. I made the part where the sword goes in my own unique way. I thinned the belt out and folded it back on itself; fitted a small buckle and puled the leather through it. The buckle is now attached without actually being fastened on in any permanent way. It is basically free floating. This allows you to change swords of almost any size. It really works well. Trust me, I have put it to the test. This was done with the help of a very capable seamstress. together we came up with the idea and made it work. Like I said.... if you can find a goood seamstress, they can help. The Capt.

Ahoy, Cap'n,

I don't suppose you'd be agreeing to scanning in some sort of pictorial image of this legendary baldric o' yers? Cuz the rest of us scum sucking bilge rats would dearly dote on layin' our eyes (plural in some cases, singular in others) on the likes of it.

Anon,

Bos'n Arrow

I'd be happyto Bos'n Arrow. I have a scanner here and would gladly do what ye ask. I know how to use the scanner, but, I do not know how to send the images here. If ye can be givin me STEP BY STEP instructions, I will gladly show you the pics. Or...... if you have a little patience, I'll ask my wife ( who is very knowledgable about this thing ) to work it out. Hang in there........ The Capt.

• 4 weeks later...

If'n ye be an unhandy sort of pirate, like me...Museum Replicas has one ready-made. It looks nice in the picture; I have no experience with it. I have bought a few items from them; some of it held up well, some of it didn't.

:huh:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

I recently pulled out my phone book, looked up "leather goods," and found a cool store not too far from me (Tricks of the Trade in Great Falls, VA) that both does custom work (they made me some nice pieces this week) and encourages its customers to take up leather work (they sell tools, buckles and notions, and leather). They do riding equipment mostly, but offered to design me a baldric while I was there --all I need to do is bring my sword.

So my recommendation, if you want to make your own, would be to try to find such a store near you: locally owned by folks who are willing to help you to do your own work!

Black Cat, Captain of theMatriarch

Test everything. Hold fast to what is good. -Saint Paul's first letter to Thessalonika 5:21

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Jamaica

I am very interested in that issue or if yall have just the plans those.

Captain Robert Darksoul

You can find plans for making a leather baldric in the May 1999 issue of No Quarter Given. It's a special design that's comfortable and hangs attractively on the shoulder. It's available in the new NQG Collected Volume no. VI. It gives patterns for cutting the leather pieces, with instructions on how to put them together. I'm not a leatherworker - but I've been told ya only need basic leatherworking skills for this project.

Blackheartedly yrs,

--Jamaica Rose

"Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't."