Leather Tricorne

Arethusa

And for $250, I can't imagine wanting to really settle for 'kind of close.' The one thing I've noticed (and this includes the aforementioned suggestion of going with a somewhat customized hat from Excalibur) is that the brim of the actual Jack hat is squared off at the edges (though 'triangled' off may be more accurate, the edges are clipped straight), which changes the overall silhouette quite a bit from most offerings. It's subtle, but I've found it's very significant. Of all the hats I've seen, I think Captain Jack's the only one who gets it right. There are, of course, a lot of other little differences with how the brim is actually shaped, folded up, and tied. I take it this is somewhat managable with hats with a wired brim, though apparently not all have this, and I'm not even sure if it's preferable (or what alternatives there are for shaping leather).

Of all the leather hats I've seen, I think I've liked the Excalibur the most, despite inaccuracies from the original (well, the $400 replica was nice, but it was also, you know, $400, and not incredible enough to justify that), but I am surprised at how many seem to be fairly off from what they're intended to be. And kind of a shame, too, as this thread's ironically convinced me that I want an accurate (or slightly customized) replica.