Period Pistol Question

Duncan McGuyver

I am looking to give my Queen Anne some company, but I am having a hard time picking a new piece.

I like the Royal Navy Sea Service Pistols

Found here: (and other places)

http://www.militaryheritage.com/pistol1.htm

but the earliest dating on this model is 1756 - post GAOP

I also like the English Lock Doglock Pistol

http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/PDOG.shtml

but is seems like it went out of production before GAOP (not that it wouldn't be around).

Does anyone else have any suggestions for GOAP pistols, preferably bigger than a Queen Anne?

Captain Duncan McGuyver

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

The Juryrig

MDRF Based Social & Renfaire Crew

The Juryrig

Port Tortuga

A Piracy based Pennsic household

B09 Block, The Highlands (Up Hill & Left)

Port Tortuga

I bought the Military heritage Sea service., and its a nice pistol., but some of the parts I find disapointing., for example barrel thickness..,weight and the feel of the handle., I did however purchase a new pistol from Middlesex trading village., and I am sold on their quality a much thicker barrel., a shower of sparks., and a healthy trigger and hammer. I would look to them to see what they offer in your preferance of pistol. I do believe they have a doglock and a mid eastern trade pistol tho I am unclear what era the eastern would be., also perhaps Callendish Gunner will jump in here.,he is knowledable about these things as well as Cascabel and some others.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

There was to the best of my knowledge no sea service pistol (read Navy specfic)during the GAoP. Most wrecks including the Whydah seem to offer up dragoon style pistols. pherhaps a look in that direction would be in order.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Duncan. there is a Pattern 1718 sea service pistol, specs as follows:

.56 cal

12 1/8 inch barrel

Flat lock plate, faceted pan, no bridle

Walnut stock

No nosecap, tailpipe or thumbpiece

Smooth buttcap with 2 short ears

Flat brass sideplate

Iron belt hook

In fact, it looks a lot like the 1756, but just not as fancy. Unless someone had the pattern book in front of them, I doubt most people could tell the difference.

reference- Pattern Dates for British Ordnance Small Arms 1718-1783

De Witt Bailey, Thomas Publications, Gettysburg, 1997

Hawkyns

:P

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

You really need to look at pistols other than Navy specific models, or other "official" pieces. There were many more varieties of pistols produced for the civilian market, and private contract pieces that bore no resemblance at all to Sea Service issue pieces. A great many bore a strong resemblance to the large dragoon style pieces with the long graceful butt cap extensions.

Other than custom built pieces, you don't have a whole lot to pick from, unfortunately, because the bulk of the repros follow known official patterns.

You could perhaps pick one of the available dragoon models, and modify the appearance a bit with some slight re-shaping of the stock, carving, and engraving and possibly shortening it slightly and removing the military markings from the lock. The thing to avoid would be the much later styles with the thick octagonal barrels. These did not become popular until well after our period. My best suggestion would be to pick out something large, with a round, tapered barrel, and modify it to suit yourself. As someone said, most folks woudn't know the difference anyhow !!!

>>>>> Cascabel

Mine is a British Dragoon flintlock from Loyalist Arms. .62 caliber and bout 19 inches long. You can get a period belt hook for it for about $8 or they'll mount it for you for $20. I ended up making a non-period hip holster for mine and its nearly the length of my thigh! Beautiful piece; certainly an attention-getter. Its stamped 1738, but was one of the forerunners of the sea service pistol, so I figured if infantry hangers could double as cutlasses, dragoon pistols will work just fine at sea.

B)

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

I am looking to give my Queen Anne some company, but I am having a hard time picking a new piece.

I like the Royal Navy Sea Service Pistols

http://www.militaryheritage.com/pistol1.htm

but the earliest dating on this model is 1756 - post GAOP

I also like the English Lock Doglock Pistol

http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/PDOG.shtml

but is seems like it went out of production before GAOP (not that it wouldn't be around).

Does anyone else have any suggestions for GOAP pistols, preferably bigger than a Queen Anne?

Strictly speaking, the "Doglock" pistol appears to be some late variation of the Snaphaunce (Not sure about the spelling) lock, and as such would say that it was significantly earlier than the 1650 given in the description. I am not familiar with this particular design of pistol, but I would say that it would be more apt for the English Civil War period. Ok if you are doing original buccaneers.

whilst a good firearm would have had a fairly long shelf life, I think that this design would be looking decidedly old fashioned by the golden age of piracy.

Loyalist Arms make an early pattern sea service pistol with 1739 stamped on the lock

Early Brit. Sea Service Pistol

Still too late for GAoP, but better than 1756.

I also own a couple of Loyalist arms Doglocks.

1640's-1690's Doglock

Given the "Shelf life" factor, these are useable throughout the golden age. however, I am not entirely happy with the shape of the buttplate, and eventually I intend to try and get a pair of hemispherical pommels cast up that would be more typical of the period.

If I had the money, I would probably now go for the Loyalist Arms French Cavalry pistol

1720's French Cavalry pistol

They have a nice look to them, and fit within the Golden Age. They are fairly typical of early 18th century pistols, with the squareish, un-bridled frizzen.

I see no reason why these could not be customised for sea use by adding a belt hook. these can be bought from Loyalist arms, but it would mean drilling a small hole in the sideplate.

If you are looking for something big and impressive, and don't mind it being slightly late for the period. (Technically 1730 could be just within the Golden Age of Piracy, depending on your definition) I would go for the potzdam pistol.

1727 flintlock Potzdam pistol

Prussian Flintlock Cavalry Pistol ( 1731 Potzdam Model)

With a 15" barrel, it is certainly bigger than a Queen Anne.