Jack Sparrow's wardrobe - a little expert help

dasNdanger

Okie dokie - I wasn't sure where to put this, since I really need historical help as opposed to Hollywood fashion help - but here goes...

Jack Sparrow's clothing - how accurate is it for the period? Also - what would the individual pieces be properly called? What would be the proper term for his outer coat, his waistcoat, his breeches, his baldric - for the period? And NO - this is NOT for fan fiction purposes!!! :huh: Actually, I need a place to start costume-wise (took last year off from faires, so I have to start from scratch), and since this character is well-known in piratical circles, I thought I'd use him as a starting point, since this way I don't have to post twenty-seven 8 x 10 colored glossy pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one, explaining what I need to know...

So, again - how accurate for the period is his 'costume', and what would the individual pieces properly be called for the time frame in question (early, early 18th century, I'm assuming), and if his costume is NOT accurate, what would be worn in its stead.

Thankies in advance.

das

POTC costuming group

This link might help in the development of a POTC inspired personae.

Also do a search on pyracy for sparrow costume. It was discussed in great detail how "inaccurate" it was.

If you live near CA, there is a LORE trraining session going on. "Loyal Order of Renactors Euthanists". Author Gail Selinger (Pirates for dummies) and others from the Port Royal Privateers will be offering sessions including "Proper Costuming for Pirates." Cost is $20 for both days if registering for Feb. 20.

LORE

Good luck in developing your personae.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks, mates. K - I'm not actually trying for a 'Sparrow' or POTC look - just trying to get me bearings, and figger out what is historical, and what is Hollywood.

So - wha' would I properly refer to his coat as? And his waistcoat/vest thing? Buckle shoes instead of boots, I know that one...but what about the baldric - is that the proper term for the period?

das

I believe is coat is Justaucorps and the vest is waist coat. Gentlemen of Fortune has some excellent costuming information on his site including a pattern for a Justaucorps.

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

I can never tell the difference between the different types of coats, justacorps to frock coats, its like pepsi and coke, both different and yet both really close, it takes a connoisseur to tell the difference. But looking at the coat, waistcoat, knee breeches and hat (minus leather) it all looks close to etchings I have seen. Don’t get me started on boots.

Petee-2.jpg