Pirate Ships on PBS's Woodwright Shop

Captain Jim-sib

To all Woodwright Shop Fans,

I just completed this weekend the shooting of "How Ships go into Bottles" with Roy Underhill. He invited me to do the show when we met last May at the NC Wooden Boat Show in Beaufort, NC. Gosh was there a lot of preparation for that...getting enough material in various stages to demonstrate a process that normally takes about 4 hours into the program time of 24.8 minutes. Made lots of pirate ships...Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge & sloop Adventure, and Charles Vane's brig Ranger. Roy immediately went for the pirate ships which allowed him to say "AARRRR" a lot in his best pirate voice! Also, there are numerous "emptying the bottle" comments. For demonstrating how to make a ship in bottle, we used a sharpie since it has a simple rig. Found out that I can put a sharpie in a bottle in 1.8 minutes...that's into the bottle & errect the masts & sails.

The show will be aired this Fall. Check your local listing . The Woodwright Shop is also shown in Canada & England. Those attending the PepsiSail 2006 in Beaufort this July can catch a pre-air showing at the NC Maritime Museum.

After the filming, I introduced Roy & the production staff to Planter's Pyrate Rum. They had never had it, and now they are hooked. Roy is also an extra in the film The New World. The directors wanted him limping out the fort gate, so he placed a pebble in one shoe to aid him. After many takes, he said that he was lame & discarded the pebble.

Best regards to all,

Jim-sib