Colonial Isle Dauphine, March 3 - 5

capnwilliam

A free-form historical reenactment held every year in March and again in October / November at Fort Gaines, on Dauphin Island, Alabama (Ye SCA folk know it as Gatalop).

Not strictly piratical or nautical: small groups recreate groups of the colonial era (roughly, 1699 - 1820's) of the Gulf region. Lot of fun! You can stay in the Fort itself or at the nearby Gulf Breeze Motel.

Some of us Baratarians are going to go as British pirates / privateers of the 1780's. :)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Thanks fer posting the photos, Red Wake! :lol:

The March event is on Saturday the 4th.

The November event is on Saturday the 11th.

Set-up / take down on days before / after.

There's also a Civil War event on August 5: the commemoration of the Battle of Mobile Day. (Where the Fort is!)

I've been there before, but this time we're planning on camping out at the fort.

The events there are low-key, family in tone, but lots of fun. Historical reenacting, not fantasy, but they don't go to authenticity extremes, either.

Capt. William

• 1 month later...

I just came aboard the other day and still learnin my way around. I just didn't find it soon enough. My truck decide that it neede a tranny re-build last week anyhow, so there went my play money for a couple months. :huh:

Catch ya another time though. I'm up the Mississippi, turn left at the Missouri, left again at the Osage til ya get to Bagnel dam. Get above the dam and follow the lakr/river to the Feaster Cove. fire a signal cannon and I'll bring some rum and guide ye on up to me camp :huh:

Later....Capt. Bo

We had an awesome time at Fort Gaines yesterday! Just have a moment to post here today, as I'm gettin' ready to head off to the Gulf Coast Ren Faire in Pensacola, but I wanted to post a link to some of the pics we took.

And as soon as I can, I will post a scan of the pics in the Mobile Register! There's a pic o' yers truly hurlin' a tomahawk, as well as many other pics of the re-enactors!

http://photobucket.com/login.php

username: seawolf88

password: pirate

Click on the Fort Gaines 2006 album.

Aye, Shipmate, we had a great time there!

The visitors really enjoyed getting to sign and take home souvenir Pirate Articles: not to mention coins, compasses, eye patches, and little pirate flags, courtesy of our Mobile wenches, Carmina and the Sea Wolf. The Pyrate Queen was there, along with Capt. Cobbs, and his lady Abigail.

I was very impressed with the questions the visitors asked: especially about ship's gunnery, a topic that seemed to fascinate them.

Next event there will be Civil War era: The Battle of Mobile Bay, when Capt. Coxetter of the Confederate privateer JEFFERSON DAVIS makes his debut.

And then again on November 11, the pirates of the 1724 REVENGE will return! :lol:

Capt. William