Pirates of Davy Jones' Curse??

Pew

Hey, Long Tom...

Trading may be your game then. I do quite a bit of it if the trade is a good one. I've acquired a good amount of ships and crew that way. Including the game prizes the busts of Blackheart, El Fantasma and Calico Cat.

The Yahoogroups Pirates of the Spanish Main chat list has a trading list.

Course, I'm sure there can be some trading done here.

I generally get ahold of the Pirates in each set. Some American stuff. This time just the Cursed and the Pirates. Most everything else is trading fodder.

Not having much luck in obtaining a monster? I've had decent luck... bought 5 packs and got 2 monsters in 2 packs. So, they are not all that rare. Shoot... even got Davy Jones! So... don't give yer hopes up yet!

This is an awesome set!

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I suppose, to be fair to WizKids, that their distribution is fine for someone who is starting out with this series, or for those who collect whole sets; otherwise the PoDJC distribution would be too heavy on the monsters when considered as a whole. I just happen to be that particular type of purchaser for whom additional series become a case of diminishing returns. Since each series has to be balanced by itself, that makes it less and less likely that purchases in the later series will contain something that isn't essentially redundant to what I already own. We already own more ships than can be easily stored, and that's ignoring the duplicates, which thankfully are still unbuilt.

I bought 8 packs of PoDJC yesterday, opened 4, no sea monsters. I'm saving the other packs for my son. Maybe he will score a couple in his packs, which will cause him no end of delight; in which case it's for the best that I opened the "duds". Failing that, it's either trading or making something out of Fimo. (Scratch-build modeling adds another fun dimension. Aside from 3D islands, I've also been fiddling with tiny wooden ships, and noodling with rules for Storms, including how to model them on the gameboard.)

Yeah, those sea monsters are totally awesome! By the way, does anyone have an extra El Phantasma and David "Bones" Wiley they's be willing to part with? If so, I'd shoot along some doubloons to ye, as I don't have much in the way of trade...

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

El Phantasma from which set? :) Spanish Main? Crimson Coast? South China Seas? Davy Jones' Curse?

I've only an extra of El Phantasma from Crimson Coast.. 2 of them actually.

I may be willing to part with my David "Bones" Wiley... for the right treasure, mate.

I'll PM ya.

~Lady B

:ph34r:

I've the Phantasma from the first set, and am looking for the Phantasma from the newest set, but I have to admit he's fairly low down in my "trading desires." That said, I'm one of what appears to be few people playing locally, and there's _no_ organized play up here. (Organized by the players that is, rather than by Wizkids.)

P'raps I should start something up amongst the Museum crowd up here.

Anyhow, I must admit I'm overall more a fan of the "giant squid" sea monsters than of the "sea serpent" sea monsters, but I suppose that's my Historical Interest creeping in. Also a fan of their occasionally blending in the Real Folks amongst the fictions.

And yes, glad to hear from the Lady that they've included the "Fool's Gold" amongst the Davey Jones ships. One is on its way.

Calico Jack

Calico Jack!

Good t' see ya here, mate!

Thank ye most kindly, sir, for the ship in advance. I shall get the 3 I mentioned sent to you swiftly.

Either monster are grand. I've been fortunate enough to get Davy Jones already and El Phantasma as well as Sammy the Skull. But I still have a LONG ways yet to go to end up with all the Pirates and the Cursed from this set.

I am still looking for El Phantasma from South China Seas. All that I have available and want is on the Yahoogroups list there.

And if anyone has inquires of a trade or purchase of a ship, crew, or other... you can PM or Email me for the list.

Again, thank you, Calico Jack, for the Fool's Gold. A good man ye are. :)

~Lady B

;)

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my hands on some of these. It took forever for them to show up in my area. I picked up one of the "Special edition" boxes. At first I was a little disappointed because the set had one ship fewer than it was supposed to, but it had Gog-Clocthoth, so I'm not going to complain too badly. Anyway, on closer inspection, the set seems even more unusual in that, aside from two generic crew cards and the special edition bonus ship, every single card was either uncommon or rare. I know that one box isn't anywhere near being a good statistical sampling, but it still makes me wonder. Did I just get especially lucky? Or are "rare" and "uncommon" not really very special?

The Special Edition boxes are odd to say th' least. You do get some of the rares and uncommons in them besides the Limited Edition vessels.

But... I got Davy Jones and a couple others from individual packs and not the SE box. One never knows with Wiz Kids any more.

And don't feel bad about the taking forever to get into your area. Apparently they are having Distribution problems again... cause the store here that often carries them is having troubles getting more boxes.

The store here sells out of them so quickly.

~Lady B

:lol:

You might want to look around this site a little more... there are already perhaps a dozen different discussion threads of people talking about PotSM in general, not to mention the Davy Jones edition.

But while on this topic ... I just now opened a new pack, and I got the pirate ship Sea Monkey! Great! This is one that I was looking for!

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

I just opened a new pack and got the pirate ship Sea Monkey. Among its crew will be Skyme the Monkey. Still looking for the Monkey's Paw. Working on a theme here.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

;)

Well, damn, Pete! If I would have known you wanted a monkey theme... I would have given you th' Drunken Monkey! Was thinking about giving him to Lee for his Barbossa outfit.

The monkey come fully clothed, too. Until he drinks too much tequila.. then his clothes start to fall off. ;)

~Lady B

;)

I just opened a new pack and got the pirate ship Sea Monkey. Among its crew will be Skyme the Monkey. Still looking for the Monkey's Paw. Working on a theme here.

Who on earth thought that "the Sea Monkey" would be a good name for a pirate ship, especially a cursed pirate ship? It doesn't seem to fit the theme, and the little "legend" that goes with it is plain silly. I still like the ship, but only because it makes me laugh.

Haven't a clue. It's interesting what all they come up with.

~Lady B

Wow. Good luck with that.

I actually just pulled 2 Tiamats and the Blackwatch. Lucky? I'd say so.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

The Blackwatch is a hell of ship! I like that one. :)

I have that vessel within my possession, too.

Alas, I haven't bought any in a couple weeks. Mostly cause everytime I go to get a pack... they are either sold out or unable to get ahold of more boxes due to distribution problems via WizKids. Grrr... :angry:

Still quite a bit I am wanting from Davy Jones' Curse.

There's still some I am looking for in the other sets, too.

~Lady B

Lady Barbossa,

Just checking that the Fool's Gold got there past the border guards [grins]. It was posted over a week ago -- any sign yet? Also, thanks to a wide assortment o' folks, the ships and crew I'm looking for is becoming a shorter and shorter list. At this point, it's largely becoming the historical personages from the first set or three. The fictional pirates I've lots of. The historic ships and crew are a [to me] much more interesting theme. That said, I'm quite envious of Mr. Straw for pulling a successful Monkey Island theme - haven't the Sea Monkey yet, myself. The marketing switch with the current movie and all is, however, quite understandable.

• 2 months later...

I've never even SEEN a pack of South China Seas.......pity......looked like a good set.....they just never showed up in my area.......

though, my brother got the Guichuan (10-Masted Ghost Ship) in the mail the other day.......

now I want one, but it's only one per household........boo......

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

oh, it is, it is.....

I have a crewmember who allows me to fill a ship with crew, for no cost.....just so long as the total value of the crew doesn't exceed the capacity of the ship, or the cost of said ship.......

put him on the Darkhawk II, and you can totally load it down with 'free' pirates!, then transfer 'em to other ships after the game starts!

Darkhawk II has an ENORMOUS cargo hold (10!), fantastic ship......

though, I MUST have a Guichuan!

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

Which crew allows other crew to cost no points?

I thought the Darkhawk II only had 8 spots for cargo...

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Hmm...there is a crew member that makes all other crew on this ship cost one less...so theoretically, you could load the ship up with an infinite number of oarsmen...put a blackheart on there and you'll have free actions as long as you have oarsmen to shoot.

Sea Captain: Yar, that be handsome pete, he dances on the pier for nickels!

Sea Captain: Arrr... you gave him a quarter, he'll be dancin all day.

my mistake, the Darkhawk is only 8 cargo.....but still.....

and I'll look into which crewe does that.....I can't remember offhand.....