Pirates of Davy Jones' Curse??

Pew

PDJC_logo.gif

Pirates of Davy Jones' Curse™

Constructible Strategy Game™

Stock Number: WZK6090

MSRP: $3.99

Expected Release: May 2006

The new stand alone expansion for the amazing Pirates of the Spanish Main™ constructible strategy game™ is here: Pirates of Davy Jones’ Curse™! Ghosts, demons, zombies, and sea monsters threaten ships sailing these dark waters. The supernatural becomes the super-fun as the Cursed join the hunt for gold and glory, and nothing less than the souls of good pirates everywhere are at stake!

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Before that, we have Pirates of the South China Seas coming out in February, and I have hardly made a dent in collecting the Pirates of the Barbary Coast set.

It seems to me that Wizzkids are getting a little bit greedy. The first set, Pirates of the Spanish Main was such an unexpected sucess that they had to produce a second edition.

Now they are bringing out new sets faster than I can buy the old ones. I still have to finish up collecting the Revolution series.

This could blow up in their faces, I for one am considering giving up after Barbary Coast before this particular hobby becomes too much of a money drain.

(Although I must admit that the Supernatural Pirates angle is a kinda cool twist to the game format.)

Paul

Aye good sir.

I like the aspect of new rules coming out with each edition though. Different ships and abilities make for an interesting twist as well. B)

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Nay... they are actually moving at an easy pace for a company their size.

Did you never play Magic or Heroclix? If sets are a success, they immediate start working on the next set or storyline.

If anyone wants a kick butt pirate ship, I recommend trying to get the Gale Force Nine for only a buck. All you have to do is buy one of the Island sets and mail in the upc code with $1 to get a nice 4 mast ship that ignores terrain and allows you to explore islands without docking.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

Ahhh.... fabulous! I was rightly curious what they would conjure up next.

I'm awaiting South China Seas. Already I want Calico Cat & the Lady's Scorn from China Seas. There are some darn good cards so it seems in this new one.

I wasn't all too impressed with Barbary Coast. Only what I wanted from Barbary is Barbarossa & Jack Hawkins.

Davy Jones I'll be looking forward to. :)

:huh:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Barbarossa is too expensive. When combined with his brother, you don't have much else to play with.

And Hawkins is a waste of a card.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

Well, me mate Durty Lillie gave me a Pirates of the Spanish Main set and me cabin boys found it. Now I be buying the Pirates of the Barbary Coast set and it be draining my treasure chest. It be a good game as it requires fine motor skills, but I's bet they would be wanting to read this thread of the clues.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

• 3 weeks later...

Mr Young... Tis not just use of those gents for the game... it's the opportunity of having them as well. I attempt to collect the whole of the pirates.. and Americans. The occasional ship from other allegiances if they capture my eye.

aye... true enough, Pearl. It can break yer chest.

But ... the fun that comes from it is well worth it. My Nephew enjoys it so much, that's all he wants to do... that & Morgan's Revenge! It's so easy, fun and simple. We often make storylines to go with it & toss the rules of 30 pnts to Hell.

:lol:

• 1 month later...

I was elated t' see a sneak peek at the upcoming new Pirates card game faction.

Sneak peek all, sneak peek!

Oddly enough.. it's the Flying Dutchman.

Flying Dutchman sneak peek

:(

One the size of a room?

With all the cards I have now... ouch! But I can't really complain other than I haven't the ones I need yet. I've still a good amount of ships, crew, treasure, events that I don't have yet that I want and need.

Plus, would like to get ahold of the islands from Gale Force 9.

anyone wanting to trade, let me know... I could send you the list I have of cards up for trade and what I want.

I use two 36" x 60" folding tables (the plastic topped ones from "Lifetime Products" that you can buy at Costco), that I set side-by-side and cover with a two yard piece of 55" wide blue marine vinyl for the play mat. That should be plenty of ocean for even the biggest game.

I like to run the movement phase with dry-erase or wet-erase markers on the vinyl surface. It lets you measure accurately from point to point, and if things get bumped, no big deal, just put them back on their marks after you are through plotting the course.

I only have six ships so far….. but I made a small table and am in the process of painting the islands that I made outta Sculpy… I still have to make the Pyrate Island, but it looks really cool so far….. I will have to post photos when its finished…..

I made a movement guide out of some sheet brass, but was thinking about using dry erase markers to plot the movement also….

I still want to fiddle with the rules a bit…. There is just “something” missing…..

:o:o

T' hell with th' rules, Mr Hand! They're more like guidelines anyway! :o

I never really use th' rules. Perhaps just to make the movement of the ships fair... but other than that.. I generally improv the attacks, add a major awesome story to the game, etc... the kiddie's love it. :)

Eager t' see the islands.

Though... I've looked at the islands, someone made some custom over a year ago for playing at a game shop (that kinda died, everyone was too busy)... but there seems to still be a heavy amount of people who buy the cards. Who wouldn't!?

The Gale Force 9 islands look right nice.

Oh.. and if yer lookin' to obtain more vessels, Patrick... I've a slew at the moment of trading fodder that am willing to give to ya.

Are ya lookin' for pirates only? Or any specific side? or a specific ship? Crew? etc?

:o

There isn’t anyplace near where I live to buy th’ cards… but when I go down to Bay Area Pyrate events, I can stop in Tracy at a game store there… The next time I’ll be down there will be the end of this month… I have enough ship for three people with a total of 19 points… I’m kinda glad that there isn’t anyplace closer, or I might go crazy buying more decks like I did with Jihad or Magic the Obsession….

I posted the pictures showing my game board in the Wiz kids Island topic….

Aye! I saw those islands. Right nice they are. Wishing they were real though, eh? :lol:

Welp, Patrick.. if ever ya need some ships... again, I'm willing to send ya some. I've more ships than I do crew. And I do have a few of those as well including Jack Hawkins from Barbary Coast, El Phantasma from Crimson Coast, Stephen Decatur from Barbary... etc.

Just made a trade deal with 2 fine Gentlemen in which they obtain crew and ships in return I procure a bust of El Phantasma and Captain Blackheart and the wicked pirate vessel the Black Heart.

A few non-pirate ships have been.. commandeered by me since I liked them well enough I wanted to use them in my pirate fleet! And a hell of a pirate fleet it is!

Unlike some who collect the whole of each series... I only go for the Pirates... a some American a couple vessels and crew from other sides if I like them.

But it be the Pirates I mostly go after. :)

I didn't collect much with Barbary Coast as there wasn't really anything I wanted but the treasure and 2 characters.

South China Seas I am finding a few there I want on the Pirates faction. I've already obtained Calico Cat from SCS (my fav character), have the Black Heart on it's way, a few of the pirate ships as well... but eager to get ahold of the Monkey's Paw, Lady's Scorn, Sister's Rage... as well as El Phantasma (another fav character of mine)!

It depends upon one's taste in what is available. I think with Davy Jones' Curse it will bounce back in a wild way.

Oh, the sea monsters, ships, and treasure are WICKED! Literially. :::Evil grinz:::

• 2 months later...

The Davy Jones Curse card packs finally showed up at my local game store. Blast it, it appears that all the sea monsters are Rares! I have more than enough of pretty much all the ship form factors that interest me -- I'm not a collector, and the junks and the arab galleys just didn't ring my bell -- so I have no intention of dropping monstrous amounts of moolah in hopes of scoring a few tentacle-ish bits of plastic. WizKids, this particular consumer is getting fed up. I'm sorely tempted to go check out the Z-Cardz display and see what might answer from their collection. Beware the Giant Crawdad!