any Patrick O'Brian fans out there?

Sjöröveren

There's been references to him in various posts over the years, but I'm trying to get a head count of sorts. But there's got to be more than a few fans of POB around here. Anyone else read all 20 (or 20.5, for completists) novels in the Aubrey/Maturin series? I'm on my second trip through, currently just starting "Treason's Harbor"

And for you unfortunate folks who have never heard of Patrick O'Brian, he is best known for the film "Master and Commander" which was based on his 10th book in the series, "The Far Side of the World." His writing style is often compared to Jane Austen. He creates a very complete sense of life aboard a Royal Navy ship during the Napoleonic wars.

Sjöröveren, where have ye been mate? Read books, who has time to read a bloody book with all these pirates to moderate? Not to mention my evil little bilgerats needin their schoolin. But I's love a good movie. Went to the set of Master and Commander down in Rosarita Beach, Mexico. The replica ship on the gimble is now sitting on the pavement in the parking lot. Thought about having one of the belaying pins for meself but didn't want to end up in a Mexican jail, worse than hanging from from a noose, I says.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

I've read all 20 full books and just got "21" for christmas. Will be reading that this weekend.

Loved every bit of them.

I also got a lovely referance book for christmas, "Patrick O'Brian's Navy". It's a great book, it covers topics from life in England, to how the watch's on a ship where oganized. Diagrams of the masts, lines, square sails and fore and aft sails. I would suggest it to any one interested in either POB or just the Brittish Navy in general.

There's been references to him in various posts over the years, but I'm trying to get a head count of sorts.

I have them all and read each one....loved the parts at sea but not the doctor, spy and botanist parts......difficult to get excited about most of the non sea content...I found myself skipping to the part I thought I would like and I did enjoy some sections.....I like the Dudley Pope and Alexander books much better....Great Reads.

KP

And for you unfortunate folks who have never heard of Patrick O'Brian, he is best known for the film "Master and Commander" which was based on his 10th book in the series, "The Far Side of the World." His writing style is often compared to Jane Austen. He creates a very complete sense of life aboard a Royal Navy ship during the Napoleonic wars.

I have read sixteen of the Twenty-One volumes. After basicly reading the series straight through to that point, I have taken a small break before finishing off the remaining volumes. They have been agreat pleasure to consume and I have the highest regard for Mister O'Brian as an author. I have also read The Unknown Shore, in which you will find two characters that will remind you very much of Aubrey and Maturin.

On another note...

The Film is actually based upon various incidents that occure throughout the complete series, though the base plot is from Far Side of the World. Though by reading that volume, you shall find that the ship in question is not a French frigate but rather an American frigate playing havoc with the British whaleing trade.

I cannot tout the series highly enough and recomend them fully

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Black Hearted Pearl: How do you say "bribe" in Spanish? I understand it to be in common use in some parts of Mexico. If you go again, get one for me! And yes, it's been awhile since I've been in the pub. Busy, busy busy!

Rigger McKnotty: Got it, along with "A Sea of Words" and "Harbors & High Seas" guides to words and locations in the POB books, respectively. Also have "Lobscouse & Spotted Dog" which it's a recipe book for many of the meals served aboard the HMS Suprise and elsewhere. I think I would buy "A Guide to Patrick O'Brian's Sock Drawer" is someone wrote it.

King's Pyrate: To each his own, I guess. I found myself skimming some of the battle scenes, simply because I had a hard time keeping all the manoevers straight. I'm a grass-combing landsman, I must confess, and could only make a guess at which thingy was a haliard and which was a sheet. So someone else better sail the ship. However, the "other stuff" is what I love best about O'Brian. His characterizations are brilliant! The benign belligerance of Killick, the steadfast devotion of Baret Bonden; Oh, I could go on and on!

Allbymeonesies: I checked a few audio books out of the library, but beware! Even the ones that said they were unabridged had bits edited out.

Lets see I have the entire series, The Golden Ocean, The Unknown Shore, A Sea Of Words, Harbors and High Seas, Patrick O'Brian's Navy, The World of Jack Aubrey and I just picked up yesterday Jack Aubrey's Commands. The only things I don't have are the cookbook and a couple of his very early attemps a writting Testimonies and a couple of others whose names escape me right at the moment. Does that qualify me as a fan?

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

I have read about four of the novels, not in order, 'cause I get them from the library. I loved them. Since I started reading them, I have purchased two of the paperbacks.

I came across a great find at Barnes and Noble, on their "get rid of it" shelf. It's a cookbook, written by two English sisters, who recreated every recipe in the novels, down to some gastly thing Maturin survived on drinking gull guano and water. Title is "Lobscouse & Spotted Dog" by Anne Chotzinoff Grosssman and Lisa Grossman Thomas.

Another very good series of books similar to O'Brian's, is one by author Dewey Lambdin. The lead character is Allen Lewrie, who is something of a rakehell. These books are a bit easier to read and a bit more "rowdy" than O'Brian, but just as authentic in the technical aspect of sailing and navel warfare. It's also roughly the same time period as O'Brian.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

You beat me to the punch on recommending mister Lambdins efforts Ransom.As to PO'B I love every book I've read in the series and hope to get 21 and the box set soon. Personally I have yet to find a need to skip through any part of the books although I do admit to not understanding every thing I read. I hope to pick up sea of words when I get some spare cash. Also for those who have trouble picking em up used at the book store get em used from Amazon.com quite frankly I gave up on the used book shelf at my local stores as the propritors all agreed that they just don't get em in. While we're at it any Clive Cussler fans in these waters I've read all his stuff from Pacific Vortex to the latest Kurt Austin adventure witch I bought for myself this Christmas.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

• 2 weeks later...

I've read all of Aubrey-Maturin books (working on the third time through) except for the final, unfinished one. That one just struck me as being entirely too depressing, knowing there's no more to come...

For the same time period (but set mostly on land) I'd recommend Cornwell's Sharpe series. I've read them horribly, horribly out of order - I just pick up the ones I happen to see at Half-Price Books, rather than paying full price. "Sharpe's Trafalgar" is a notable exception to the landlocked fare, it's on a ship - at Trafalgar, oddly enough. The BBC series made from the books isn't too bad to watch, but don't be expecting anything similar to the books other than Sharpe's name.

Nelson's "Brethren of the Coast" are all right, for something nautical to read, though nothing I'd go out of my way to read again - unless it's a really slow night at work.

sig2.jpg

Rigger McKnotty: Got it, along with "A Sea of Words" and "Harbors & High Seas" guides to words and locations in the POB books, respectively. Also have "Lobscouse & Spotted Dog" which it's a recipe book for many of the meals served aboard the HMS Suprise and elsewhere. I think I would buy "A Guide to Patrick O'Brian's Sock Drawer" is someone wrote it.

I got "Lobscouse & Spotted Dog" at Christmas. Some friends and I at the Wardroom are talking of having a Mess Dinner using a few of the courses.

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

• 4 weeks later...
I gave up on the used book shelf at my local stores as the propritors all agreed that they just don't get em in.

That's the problem with trying to find a good book used. If it's really that good, then almost no one wants to get rid of it.

Before I quit my job at the local bookstore last month, I made sure to use my employee discount one last time to get the boxed set of the whole Aubrey/Maturin series so I can get around to finishing reading them all at my leisure. Previously, I had been getting them from the library and having to wait a week or two between books until the next one that I wanted was returned by someone else. I had gotten up to around book 8 or 10 (I'd have to go back and count to be sure) before I decided to set them aside for a little while and just never got back to them. Now I just need the time to read more.

Fortunate am I that the ship's library has a complete set and I've been thru 'em three times, and a few more for one or two. Spotted Dick's a right treat (Yez Brokeback types kin get yer minds outta THAT right smart!) but I don't think much of Salt Horse.

If I wound up being anyone, it'd be Killick.

needlecase-0220-full-01-sm.jpg

www.frayedknotarts.com/tutor1.html

Read the opening paragraph there!

• 4 weeks later...

My dad's read all 20.5 Aubrey novels. And I just started the first one. My dad bought a few other reference books to accompany the novels, which include ship layouts, maps of voyages in the novels themselves, and brief histories and explanations that help in understanding the plots.