Cigars

Mad Matt

Who here enjoys a ciger every now and then. I haven't in a looooong while - of course I've never had anything as highend as a Cohiba or anything. Best I've had was a Garcia y Vega that cost me around $5. I just got a Christmas gift pack of Pyrat XO Reserve rum that came with a guillotine cutter and a leather cigar case. Set my mind a-spinnin' and figured I ask y'all.

Drunken_Parrot_Bar_Sign.jpg

You will be flogged. And God willing, come morning, you will be flogged some more.

Hmmmm....

A nice See-gar e'ery so often is a fine thing...

I ain't no See-ger snob, but I have had th' ..... pleasure o' indulgin' in a few high end smokers....

I had a cohiba... didn't do much for me, 'cept take close ta four hours ta finish...

I's had much inbetween, some 'r grande, some not so much...

I s'pose it all depends on wot ye like...

I's actually enjoyed Philly Blunts n' Swisher Sweets the most... they got goode flavour, n' they's cheap too!

I had an' Onyx a month r' so ago at a lads batchelor party... $8 not well spent.... tasted like cardboard...

I also enjoy a pipe on occasion too... flavoured blends 'r excellent... But, tha' be fer another thread....

Smoke 'em iffn' ye got 'em......

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

dog poop? what kinda cigars you been around?

They should smell like fragrantly burning tobacco...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Aye, a good cigar be nice ta' puff on from time ta time, and goes splendid with a nice sippin' rum or cognac. I've had Cubans, but they're too strong for my tastes. I prefer a mild cigar, and my favorite smoke is a Macanudo Hyde Park, but I just recently got a box of Bering Grandes that are pretty smooth too. I buy mine via mail order from a company in New Jersey and pay a fraction of the cost you pay in your local cigar stores. If you want the name and contact info, PM me and I'll send it to ya.

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

"There be the chest, inside be the gold, we took them all. Spent them and traded them. We frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize... the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men....Compelled by greed we were, and now we are consumed by it."

I tried a pipe before, but I could never get it loaded right. It would either not stay lit, or burn so damn hot it was too harsh. I'd still like to try it again though, because I really like the smell of good pipe tobacco.

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

"There be the chest, inside be the gold, we took them all. Spent them and traded them. We frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize... the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men....Compelled by greed we were, and now we are consumed by it."

Barbados Sam.... I have almost the same problem.... If I don't get it packed right.... just dosen't burn right (I'm a Cagarette smoker.... who sometimes smokes a pipe)

Ain't hadda good cegar in a long time.... one of the best parts about smoking one tho...... you can set aside the time to totaly enjoy smoking it....... kick back and relax..... a fine cegar...some brandy or rum... smoking jacket optional.........

• 1 month later...
I tried a pipe before, but I could never get it loaded right. It would either not stay lit, or burn so damn hot it was too harsh. I'd still like to try it again though, because I really like the smell of good pipe tobacco.

I Used to smoke a pipe (almost 15 years ago now, I gave up in order to encorage my then girlfriend to give up ciggaretes. She finally gave up last year.) And I always said that with Cigarettes you had a Vice, but with a Pipe you had a Hobby.

To enjoy a pipe, you need an array of tools to clean and maintain your pipe, you are constantly managing the thickness of the carbon in the bowl, and the quality of your tobacco.

And keeping the bloody thing alight is an art in its self !!

As for Cigars, I take the same approach to Cigars as I do to Whisky. I enjoy the best that I can afford, but in strict moderation.

On the subject of cigars, when were they first smoked? are they in period for the GaOP?

I tried a pipe before, but I could never get it loaded right.  It would either not stay lit, or burn so damn hot it was too harsh.  I'd still like to try it again though, because I really like the smell of good pipe tobacco.

I Used to smoke a pipe (almost 15 years ago now, I gave up in order to encorage my then girlfriend to give up ciggaretes. She finally gave up last year.) And I always said that with Cigarettes you had a Vice, but with a Pipe you had a Hobby.

To enjoy a pipe, you need an array of tools to clean and maintain your pipe, you are constantly managing the thickness of the carbon in the bowl, and the quality of your tobacco.

And keeping the bloody thing alight is an art in its self !!

As for Cigars, I take the same approach to Cigars as I do to Whisky. I enjoy the best that I can afford, but in strict moderation.

On the subject of cigars, when were they first smoked? are they in period for the GaOP?

Does the quality of the pipe make a difference in keeping it lit and loading? The pipe I started with many years ago was an inexpensive one. I am now seriously considering a clay pipe for ren faires but have no idea how much of a challenge it will be to keep lit. Just the other day someone was smoking a pipe nearby and it renewed my desire to try to take it up again.

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

I enjoy cigars. Typically I prefer the Romeo et Julieta Cedros Deluxe No. 2, it's smooth and cedary, not too strong. C.A.O. makes a mean cigar, and Drew Estates are doing some interesting things in the field. Their "Naturals" line grown with organic tobacco and infused with various herbs & essential oils are amazing. Royal Jamaicas are good too.

I'd rather enjoy an occasional great smoke than cheapos all the time.

The various indigenous tribes in South America were rolling and smoking early versions of cigars when the Spanish first arrived, called "sikars" ....which I presume is where the modern word came from. They were known by Europeans, but didn't really catch on for some time. So yes, they may well have been smoked by sailors who picked them up from natives, but it didn't develop as an industry then.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Cigars.,no. I thought I would take up the pipe tho...., once I am in retirement mode. Having quit smoking in favor of scuba diving however for me would be like opening a door I could not close. I smoked for 28 years. I dont think I could have the discipline to smoke every other once in a while. I admire those who can. For me I think I would become a heavy smoker again and just cant even take that chance.

Tall Paul., I was checking the link to your website. Wow Cheers to ye mate. You and your group have definitely got it going on! :(

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

• 2 weeks later...