Group Buy on Shoes?

Greg, Hector,

I would be interested in a GAoP era men's court shoe too. My husband works weekends so he doesn't get the opportunity to "play pirate" with me that often. But I do get the opportunity to dress him up and take him to 17th and 18th century dance events a couple times a year. His complaint is that he's either wearing Rev War soldier's shoes or ECW latchets with his fancy GAoP clothing. (He is SUCH a peacock!) Why would a Rev War soldier know the minuet! :wub:

But maybe with Reconstructing History's new line of Gentlemen's coats, there will be more of an interest in a Gentlemen's shoe.

From your lips to God's ear, Greg! B)

Kass

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, if you can find 30 other folks... make that 28 cause I will get "another" pair of shoes too, then we can move forward on a late 17th C pair of gentlemen's shoe group buy.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to piss in your cheerio bowl or nothing, but most folks could care less what their shoes look like (that is are correct or not).

Spending $500 on a pistol is no problem. $300 on a pair of shoes is insanity to them. That is why I am hoping that $135 will hit the sweet spot.

GoF

Oh don't get me wrong... If I had the money available I would easily spend it on the correct pair of shoes. I don't find being period correct insane at all regarding any item one wears or carries.

Hector

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I find the challenge to be where does one get a close second in a lower price until you can raise the amount to get the proper ones? Greg, when you get a chance could you go to Godwin's site and take a look at his Hessian shoes... and give your thoughts as to a temporary fix.

Hector

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Hmmm.....

I am loth to reccommend a wrong shoe. Granted, I am NOT the patron saint of re-enacting shoes or anything.

I am just a big proponent of correct shoes for whatever period you are doing.

I feel that if i say, "this shoe will do, than 90 percent of the people that need to get shoes will deem that whatever is reccomended is ok to use.... and as I have said in other shoe rants, most people who buy 1 pair of shoes are disinclined to buy another if they are percieved to be "passable" or were "passable" at one time.

I am not saying that you are like that, I just don't want to be the guy that someone will later say "well GOF said that the right/left rev war hessian shoes were ok for GAoP" when they are NOT.

I can discuss this more with you in a PM.

AND

For eveyone that buys a "different" shoe, that is one less person helping to pull off the PERIOD Whydah shoe buy.

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

After 22 years of doing this gig, I can't recommend enough the importance of buying the right shoe and the best shoe possible. Even though a correct pair seems expensive, they will last years - my original pirate boots have been with me since the beginning, so their amortized price is about $3 a year. Not bad at all. In the interim, other mates have gone through three or four sets at a higher yearly cost.

Save up and wait for the ideal pair. Your feet are not a place to scrimp. Plus, the right pair will be more comfortable than lesser knock-offs. Plus, you won't find yourself thinking your shoes suck in public... seen that too many times.

These aren't that bad, pricewise, especially when you see someone drop $200 on a pair of the latest Nikes that won't last two years.

- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

A shoe pyramid? ... :rolleyes:

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be interested in a pair o tens, especially if the cost is split into two payments. I can have the 50% deposit to ye when the time comes, just let me know.

:ph34r:

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

• 3 weeks later...

GoF -

Good Sire - any word of this order. A sample was expected at some point. Where be we with the number of shoeless pyrates? The Hampton Blackbeard fest is coming in June. Would be nice to have a good pair to wander the streets with. B) errrr - shoes that is - :huh: - anyway

Your good and umble servant,

Willie the rumrunner :huh:

You can ner' have enough sand in yer stew.

I am expecting the sample within the month (February). Then its deposit time. I think that we have about 20 now and probably another 10-15 that are awaiting the "word" on the sample to confirm.

As soon as I hear something, I will let you know.

GoF

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

• 3 weeks later...

A question about sizing...

Is a straight-lasted shoe sized the same as a left/right shoe? My tennis shoes are 10 4E. But that's due to the design of the shoe. I don't want to expend the coin, only to find out they don't fit correctly.

Drunken_Parrot_Bar_Sign.jpg

You will be flogged. And God willing, come morning, you will be flogged some more.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Wondering if sending a tracing of my feet would insure a better fit. I mean, I don't spend more than $40 for a pair of shoes as it is ('cept for those seagreen Frye mules, soooo cute), so I'm hesitant to put down the money for shoes I'm not sure I'll wear. And they're not even green! Freaky.

I also wondered if the leather stretched enough to be a concern when it comes to sizing. Also, how do stockings affect shoe size. Just some other points I'd like to be addressed if the time is still available to do so.

I am interested in a purchase, though. Especially since it will be divided into two payments.

Drunken_Parrot_Bar_Sign.jpg

You will be flogged. And God willing, come morning, you will be flogged some more.

My experience is that a straight lasted shoe will be slightly larger than a regular r/l shoe....

Since it has to accomodate either of your feet. You usually wear them on the same feet and break them in to the individual right left.

But its not really as scarry as it sounds.

I have not recieved the sample yet, but when I do, I will post pictures.

GoF

Does anyone know how to measure a foot for the shoes?

I mean I could go to a shoe store and just use the little metal thing... but is there a way with a tape measure?

Just curious mostly :lol:

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

Put me down for a pair. BB

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

GoF - ok - so wheres the shoes? Me feets be needing some cover and my mind would like to know when to expect it. I have about a 2. 5 month count down till I really need them but would like to know what to plan for. I hope Richard Long will be able to give us a good time line once the order is in.

thanks again for all your work

Willie the rumrunner :o

Don't think i am holding out on you....

I can only go as fast as the shoe maker...

no sample yet... will post it when i get it!

Gof

While I was typing the above post... this came in my mailbox

HI Greg.  WIll have your prototype shoe done up this week.

Can I have your address so I can ship this down to you.

RL

Thank you for the extra photo

This was the extra photo by the way

shoe.jpg

GoF

• 2 weeks later...

GoF - do we have a true count of interested parties? This post has started to slid in hits and questions of late. I was getting concerned that interest was falling off. What would the manufacturer need to verify that we have the numbers to start production? Having seen the pics from the recovered shoes and the other posted shoes from the English manufacturer I am certain that I would like to have a pair. Considering that the manufacturer is Canadian are his prices based on US or Canadian exchanges?

thanks again for all your work

Willie the rumrunner :huh:

Still haven't recieved the sample yet... but it could be in the mail. I am going to check with the maker today and should have some more info.

Right now here are some that expressed interest in the shoes.... some stronger than others but here is a list of folks from this board and others.

If you name is not on here and needs to be, chime in. If its on here and you have changed your mind... let me know that too

William Red Wake

Mick MacAnselan

Deadeye

Captain Sawney Beane

Hurricane

Captain Morgan

Blacfoot

Monterey Jack

Billy BOnes

Tarfoot

Owne Roberts

Major Chaos

*BLack John

*Duncan McGuyver

*Pat Hand

*Callenish Gunner

*Black Dog

*Cut Throat

*Mad Matt

Well that is 19 total, but I will have to add that re-enactors are famous for changing their minds, especially if money is tight. There is no gun to anyones head though.

Those with asterisks are ones that expressed interest.... depending on what the final shoe looks like or other reasons.

I am probably going to get 2 pairs myself so if everyone on the list comes through.... thats 21.

Some other things to consider are that:

1) The project doesn't really start until we get the 30 orders. So if you are involved in a pirate re-enacting club or group, spread the word and share the love as every order helps.

2) This price ($135) is the manufacturers cost to us. There is no mark up or nothing. Considering that this will be the only shoe on the market that is patterned after a 1690-1720 shoe (and an actual pirate shoe to boot!) this is an incredible deal. The next closest thing will be a the early shoe from Jarnigan and will still need to be modified for GAoP use and cost $160+ (and takes 6-8 weeks at least).

No one else will have the rights for these shoes after our purchase, so other vendors won't be able to buy them and offer them for sale.

3) After the initial order/run, the price might go up and he will only make them in batches of 6 at a time.

Again, spread the word about the shoe buy and have anyone e-mail me if they have specific questions.

gof*at*gentlemenoffortune.com and remember to replace *at* with @

or you can go to my website and click the comment link.

GoF