Pirate Festival in Port Royal

hurricane

What dates work best for you to go the Port Royal Festival in 2007?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What dates work best for you to go the Port Royal Festival in 2007?

• February
    • March
    • April
    • May
    • Early June (this is in Hurricane Season)

We are beginning planning for a pirate festival in Port Royal, Jamaica. We would be headquartered at Morgan's Resort, which is in Port Royal proper.

What we're looking for now is a general raise of hands of those interested. The event will probably be in April or May, 2007.

Activities would include vendor booths at the resort, a trip to Lime Cay, which is near Rackham's Cay (which is now submerged by the way), a presentation on the sunken city, a historic ghost tour of Port Royal, a visit to Fort Charles, which has artifacts from the sunken city, perhaps a candlelit dinner there as well, a trip to the Money Museum to see an amazing collection of money through history, including those of pirate times, and some other events to be determined. We'd also go to the Straw Market for some native shopping.

So, who would be interested. Outside of airfare it would probably be around $500 per person including the trips, tours, presentations and hotel for six days, five nights, double occupancy. Food and drinks are relatively cheap there - fresh fish dinner - $5, Red Stripe, $1.50. That's in Port Royal. The people there are great and love pirates.

I will have photos soon. And I have a limited number of brochures of the resort (we're in it) that I can send to folks.

Let's hear it! Who's up for a trip to the real center of piracy?

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

You know I'm in, Cap'n... for those wondering, Port Royal is fantastic... absolutely fantastic... the entire town oozes pirate-ness, and there is history EVERYWHERE! Well worth the money...

I'm thinking April sounds good... mebbe March?

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

A note: Don't be put off by airfares. Airfares to Orlando are typically much cheaper from all major cities than flying to Kingston. And from Orlando you can connect to American, Spirit, Air Jamaica at much cheaper prices. So one RT to Orlando and one RT from there to Kingston can be much less. Right now, Spirit is $250 from Orlando to Kingston RT.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

And Jamaica Air is absolutely fantastic! Every flight is a champagne flight, and they still serve a tasty meal!

Touche'

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

In garb? Of course! The locals absolutely love it... they are still pirates at heart down there, and they are amazingly friendly...

Touche'

Pyrates of the Coast

We go everywhere in town in garb. The locals look forward to it.

We envision a pirate encampment with vendors and entertainment at the hotel proper, perhaps a candle lit dinner at the fort one evening, a historical tour of the town, a discussion by the heritage trust on the sunken city, a re-enactment of the tryal of Anne Bonny and Mary Read, since they were tried right here, a visit to the local school for tales of the high seas, various junkets into town for fun and frolic, and perhaps a ghost tour, since the city is rife with tales from the dark side. We will also take a day trip to Lime Cay, our own pirate island for a day - and perhaps a trip into Kingston for some shopping at the Straw Market. Oh, an we hope to have the Schooner Wolf dockside (the hotel can dock a tall ship right on it's dock with evening sails.

We hope to have the dates nailed down by April 06 for the 07 year.

All in all one heckuva festival in a real pirate town.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

How cool would that be to see, and be sailing on, a tall ship in Port Royal waters?

Touche'

Pyrates of the Coast

Here's a link to my missive on Port Royal, the fort, the hotel, Lime Cay and other places of interest...

http://piratesofthecoast.com/shipslog/pr-s...scrapbook1.html

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Nicely done, Cap'n... nicely done! If that "travelogue" doesn't reel 'em in, they don't have pirate in their blood!

Touche'

Pyrates of the Coast

Thank you suh! I think it will separate the men from the boys, so to speak... :)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

march or april sound great to me ...if they align with the unversity's spring or easter breaks .... what about the bringing of our accoutremonts of trade (WEAPONS)

:ph34r: and what would the availability of black powder be there???

would be a grand spring break trip!!!!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:;);)

It is our understanding that these things won't pose any problems. The Wolf can ship in the powder... and we can bring weapons if we go through the channels. Our local contacts there - including the Heritage Foundation folks, said it should pose no problems if part of the festival, particularly one that is dedicated to enriching their history.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Woo hoo! Bring on the sharp objects and barrels of things that go "BOOM!"

Hmm, probably just the attitude they are NOT looking for... ;)

Touche'

Pyrates of the Coast

Compared to Key West, the food and drink are a 1/3 to 1/2 less. A Red Stripe runs about $1.25 US. At Captain Tony's a 22 ounce beer is $6 so you can get two Red Stripe (24 ounce) for $2.50. Food is equally cheap. A great place of local chicken with bammies runs $4, if you like seafood fresh fish is between $5 and $6 US for a lot of food.

Port Royal isn't touristy so you won't pay Ocho Rios or Montego Bay prices here. So it all evens out. The airfare isn't much more than the Keys if you fly through Orlando or Ft. Lauderdale, the hotel is not too expensive (if we have enough folks we can get package rates) and very nice and new, and everything is in walking distance.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Hurricane... I was telling a friend about this, and they said that because of poverty, crime around Kingston is really high...... is Post Royal far enough and small enough, to make the chance of robbery "slight"..... or should we sharpen our cutlasses?

Hey... it's bad in New York, New Orleans, and Miami also... but I figure it's better to be warned if it is true......

This would be a wonderful thing to see and be part of. However, my vote would have to fall for May 2007 for me and my crew to participate - this is simply due to the fact that I graduate in early 2007 and what better way to celebrate two long and grueling years in RN school than to party in Port Royal? :unsure:

Just my two bits worth - keep us all advised of progress Hurricane.

With Respects,

Cap'n Emerald

Captain Emerald Shaunassey O' The Salty Kiss

www.TheLadiesoftheSaltyKiss.com

Hurricane... I was telling a friend about this, and they said that because of poverty, crime around Kingston is really high...... is Post Royal far enough and small enough, to make the chance of robbery "slight"..... or should we sharpen our cutlasses?

Hey... it's bad in New York, New Orleans, and Miami also... but I figure it's better to be warned if it is true......

Port Royal is very, very different than Kingston. It's a very small town where everyone knows one another and it's far removed from the hustle and bustle of Port Royal. We ventured all through the town and into the deep dark wooded areas in search of piracy and artifacts. All the locals were extremely friendly and helpful. They loved the fact that we were there to honor their history.

There is absolutely no tourism here to speak, so there's no crime there, except the usual local spats and drunken episodes. Even our wenches felt fine walking down there and we didn't have any period weapons on us...

As for Kingston, there are areas of poverty there. We've been to parts of Kingston and Spanish town without any problem. First, few people want to confront or engage a person who looks like a pirate :). Second, Jamaica's attitude in general has stablized and everyone we met asked us if we were going to return to the US and let people here know what Jamaica is really like today. As with any country or city, there are parts you don't want to be walking at night. But for the most part, the areas we would be going to in Kingston are entirely safe.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

This would be a wonderful thing to see and be part of. However, my vote would have to fall for May 2007 for me and my crew to participate - this is simply due to the fact that I graduate in early 2007 and what better way to celebrate two long and grueling years in RN school than to party in Port Royal? :unsure:

Just my two bits worth - keep us all advised of progress Hurricane.

With Respects,

Cap'n Emerald

Unfortnately, fall is hurricane season down our way. And Port Royal and Jamaica is a favorite target as of late so our tall ship contacts don't want to be caught out at sea during that time in transit. Hurricane season runs from June to November and then we run into a conflict with Pirates in Paradise...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

This would be a wonderful thing to see and be part of. However, my vote would have to fall for May 2007
Unfortnately, fall is hurricane season down our way. And Port Royal and Jamaica is a favorite target as of late so our tall ship contacts don't want to be caught out at sea during that time in transit. Hurricane season runs from June to November and then we run into a conflict with Pirates in Paradise...

-- Hurricane

Indeed, well I do know that fall is the hurricane season. Was my poor choice in wording though that did throw ya, Hurricane. I did cast my vote for May 2007 and should not have used the word "fall" before my actual choice of time/month. Sorry for the confusion!

With Respects,

Cap'n Emerald

Captain Emerald Shaunassey O' The Salty Kiss

www.TheLadiesoftheSaltyKiss.com

I knew I should have been taking my English as a Second Language class more seriously. I reread it while not under the influence of cheap red wine and see what you were saying now. Thanks for the clarification....

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny