POTC2 Megabloks?

John_Young

Tell me I'm not crazy or that someone is pulling a trick on me.

I was at TRU last night, admiring the Mega Bloks Pyrates sets.

(BTW, Sam's Clubs has the 2 ships and one of the skulls for a special price)

Looking at the display of the ships set up under the plastic bubble... I noticed something strange. There next to the playsets, they had little cards that had the item number and a picture of the package for each toy shown.

TRU's exclusive clear treasure chest with island playset had an interesting note.

Instead of saying "Pyrates" it instead read "Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest" in the official font and scroll style.

So... did some smartass put a sticker on it to freak me out?

Has MegaBloks signed a deal with Disney for the movie rights?

(I do know MB does handle some Disney licenses)

Does this mean soon I'll get a little Jack Sparrow to lead my Sea Marauders instead of the crappy named guys?

Or was there a deal and it fell through?

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

As an avid collector of pirate Megabloks, I can only hope and pray that this is true!

NOAH: Wow... the whole world flooded in just less than a month, and us the only survivors! Hey... is that another... do you see another boat out there? Wait a minute... is that a... that's... are you seeing a skull and crossbones on that flag?

Ministry of Petty Offenses

Well the TRU exclusive is not listed on MB's site...

And TRU's site (Amazon) only has the packaging with the standard Pyrates logo.

Argh.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

that would be awesome if it were real. i need a good ship. i tried to make a ship, and took it in the pool ( :ph34r: ) and it sunk like a stone. and i doubt pirate ships were pink and black and crewed by an assortment of lego people including two indians, one pirate, two adventurers (at least one of them had a hook!) and hermione granger.

Also, I found an article about the Pirates of the Caribbean tie-in with Mega Bloks. The part about the Mega Bloks is at the beginning. I edited out about the other toys not related to POTC, but left in the last paragraph.

MegaBlocks_Pyrates.gif

Buzz Report from Learning Express Expo

By Tina Benitez

Playthings -- 6/14/2005 5:39:00 AM

NEW ORLEANS—Pirates on the high seas may be scarce these days, but they seem to rule on land—at least in toyland. Things have changed since the days of Jean Lafitte, the early 19th Century pirate from these parts who fought the Battle of Louisiana in 1815 against the Spanish—but eventually went back to his “pirate” ways.

Today, in a more civil New Orleans—at least compared with the days of Lafitte—the Learning Express Annual Convention gave manufacturers and retailers a chance to discuss items and place orders for new product. At the event, which wraps up today, manufacturers and retailers came together to discuss the ins and outs of business and write some new business orders as well.

Real pirates aside, the toy kind will be high on retailers lists this year. From Canada-based Mega Blocks, to Kidkraft, Dallas, pirates are shipping now just in time for the release of the new film, Pirates of the Caribbean, Dead Man’s Chest. The new Pyrates line from Mega Bloks features a pirate ship and skulls with play figures under the eye patch—the back of the skull head turns into a stand for play with the different pirateering figures.

“With the movie coming out, we made the pirates realistic with real cloth sails,” says Bruce Bradley, national accounts manager, Mega Bloks. “The way we view specialty is we view Learning Express as a great opportunity to grow. Sometimes with the pre-school products, you need to explain them to the retailers. This is a good opportunity to meet and explain. It’s a good opportunity to train and talk to customers and not get in the big box format.”

Kidkraft will launch a pirate ship that will feature a mat, treasure chest, a four-piece figure set and more that will retail for $60. Folkmanis, Emeryville, Calif., is on the pirate kick as well, with pirate puppets, which came out earlier this year. Papo, Paris, even has several pirate figures for play or collecting.

The convention was an opportunity for manufacturers to clearly showcase some toys that may have slipped through the cracks. Joseph Diaz, president of Learning Express, tells playthings.com this show was one of the best shows yet.While most retailers placed orders before the show, they had the opportunity to come back and add on a few more products to their list and talk with manufacturers.

"If a store buys out through September and October, most retailers come prepared and stick around to say, 'hey, what's new?" says Diaz. "It also helps vendors forecast for the year," he adds.

edit begins

Among the pirates, accessories and comeback toys, scientific products also made a splash. Faux lab experiements by Smartlab Toys like the Bacteria Farm, Skeletal hand, and shark models can give kids a chance to experiment and learn. The Solar System Model, which comes with a CD and planet pointer, is a top seller for Uncle Milton, Westlake Village, Calif., as well as ant farms from Fascinations, Seattle.

Lisa Visco, vice president of merchandising for Learning Express, says that vendors received more business this year than last. "For some vendors, they write more business here than anywhere else. You have some stores selling products well, and it gives you a chance to explain the product to other [new] stores. It's not just about taking orders, it's about relationships."

Next year, the annual Learning Express Convention will take place in Arizona. Ahoy Scottsdale!

From me home town in Scottsdale, Arizona...Welcome aboard!

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

my son has everything in the set except the largest ship...he did not notice anything offical related to potc2

despite that....they are the COOLEST THINGS!!! i'm sooooooooo jealous!!

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

I've seen these since the summer but there has never been any "official" POTC tie-in. I think they're just trying to ride the "pirate wave" of excitement for the new movie.

I thought about buying some of the skull sets; they're kinda neat. :unsure:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

I'm sure if anyone's local TRU has the display of the 2 ships and the island under plastic they'd see the sign I saw.

Find the little carboard card of the Treasure Island set and it clearly has the POTC2 logo on it.

I had an employee open the case so I could get a good look at it and it is definately an official picture, not a sticker or a photoshopped prank.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

of yers!"

I've seen this same display at Toys R Us by my house, and it has the same "dead man's chest" logo... it was on a photo of a toy called "Treasure Island"... it looks to be a BIG set, but I see no info on a "Treasure Island" set out there, either... hmmm...

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

Well it's a TRU exclusive and they have it at TRU's little corner of Amazon.com.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

of yers!"

Mega Bloks is obviously on good footing still with Disney, they just released Narnia Mega Bloks sets.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

of yers!"

• 2 weeks later...

I work for TRU and yes it does say this on the box "Dead Mans chest" But nothing about POTC..And yes Sams and Costco both had the two ships and the treasure chest at christmas for about $70.00...Check out the little skulls that go with them...$7.99 and they fit at your computer desk perfectly!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

I got that set for Christmas too, and it is sooooooo AWESOME!! and she is right it dosen't say any thing about POTC any where but it is still very cool

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

My Mom (While putting the cursed ship together) Shot on of the cannon balls across the table, "Boy those suckers go far don't they?" luckly the dog wasn't in the line of fire lol!!

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

luckly the dog wasn't in the line of fire lol!!

if you or anyone else hurt my max......arrrrrr!

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones