H.P. & N.C.

Redd Oktober

Aye, they be two of the best pirate artists.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

love em!!!

my favorite is, Pyle's "the flying dutchman" which I have up on me wall.

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

I'd heard of them, seen their artwork...

Anyone else out there a fan of Howard Pyle or N.C. Wyeth?

...But I hadn't read any until recently. Right now, I'm in the middle of Howard Pyle's great work, "The Book of Pirates." Considering the age, there are probably a few publishers, but mine is the Dover edition, ISBN: 0-486-41304-7. Richly illustrated with black and white sketches throughout the book with several color plates in the middle. I recommend it.

Only by great risks can great results be achieved.

-Xerxes

Aye...tis a fyne book indeed. I've got a 1930 edition of the same book. Only read it once...I didn't know there was a Dover edition (Thank God fer Dover Books!), now I've got to get me a copy so I don't feel guilty about reading my old one.

During college, One of my instructors claimed to be a direct descendant (academically speaking) of the Brandywine school. Her teacher's teacher's teacher's teacher was another student of Pyle's (alongside N.C.). She's a writer now, and you can get one of her books on Amazon: The Red Rose Girls by Alice Carter. It's about the lesser known (but EXTREMELY talented) female students of the Brandywine school.

You should also check out "Visions of Adventure", it features Pyle and some of his most famous students (Wyeth, Schoonover, etc.)

REDD.jpg

YARRR! The Oktober be silent now! Just call me "REDD!"