Oak Island for sale

Story

Has anyone of us actually been to the island? If the answer is no, then we are all being “CREDULOUS” for believe everything we are told without questioning it. Without any first hand evidence on either side of the argument, you are believing what someone else has told you, or you read, or saw. This could go on for ever, because there are two types of people, the ”Prove That It Is” types and the “Prove That It Isn’t” types. Without first hand experience, both are opinions and both are valid, and neither should be looked down upon and criticized.

Petee-2.jpg

Petee, I'm really not sure that going to Oak Island and looking at the mass of holes there would determine whether any oak platforms had been discovered in 1795 or not.

we are all being “CREDULOUS” for believe everything we are told without questioning it

This is my point about Oak Island summed up entirely. Believe nothing without questioning why you believe it. I questioned the Oak Island myth and discovered a whole load of bloody great glaring holes (and not the kind you find in the earth). I can't bring myself to believe that anyone who has really questioned the Oak Island tale could still believe in it. If you have questioned it, examined the actual evidence, and still believe in it then fair play, I really admire your incredible faith. By the way, did I mention the Holy Grail is buried in my garden, if you could just lend me a hundred dollars I could dig it up and we'd both be rich...

Enigma, I can't say I've ever really looked into Cocos Island particularly (I've certainly not given it the time I've given to Oak Island) so I'm not really in a position to pass judgement. What I will say is that the stories of buried treasure connected with Cocos are more plausible (perhaps "less implausible" would be a better way of putting it) than those put forward for Oak Island. Good luck with the backstaff, I'd offer to share my experiences of making them, but I suspect that wouldn't please you, so I won't. (Incidentally, I used to live just round the corner from the place the guy who invented backstaffs lived...oh the views!...)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

And if there is something there I hope it stays down there, history only lasts as long as we allow it... uprooting it will take away from why it was put there... The people that would find it are the rich excavators that don't care about the treasure and just want to money they would get for finding it.

I don't quite know if I agree with this part. I hope that *IF* there is anything down there, that it's found ASAP (ironically, I agree with Foxe about the plausability of it, but that's different than what I'm posting about this time). The reason I want it found, and by whom, I don't really care as long as they make a decent effort to preserve it intact and record it's discovery. If their motivation is money, they probably want the fame as well and therefore will try to record the discovery the best way they know how. And, the rest of the world will reap the benefits. If this means that they get rich and famous by selling the artifacts, then so be it. People look for and collect Roman coins or bullets from battlefields for the purpose of selling them all the time, but that doesn't mean that they're not preserving the history in some way. It also is sharing that history with people who ordinarily might not see any first hand evidence. I know the only concrete, first hand evidence I'd ever seen of the Roman Empire ever existing before I took a trip to England was a couple of coins (No, I never have doubted Rome's existence). Which brings me to my next point...

The exchange about whether we ever landed on the moon. Yes, it is completely possible that it was a big setup. I've never seen a moonrock, and imagine that if I did, it would just look like a rock. It is just a matter of deciding for yourself how credible the information is. When it comes to the Oak Island issue, it's not so much the differing opinions of whether there is anthing down there, but instead it's a different level of scrutiny regarding the evidence. It's not always good to have too much scrutiny, nor is it good to have too little. However, there's also no magic middle point that's best. Using the extremes to prove a point, Foxe falls more toward the 'if I don't see it, it never happened, whereas Capt. Enigma goes toward blind faith. It's been my experience that both extremes can be necessary to prove something, so neither way of looking at Oak Island foolish (a point in which I disagree with Foxe's position). The 'scrutinizers' require a larger amount of proof before accepting fact. This allows them to be more open minded about the final outcome of their evidence, and have a lot of evidence to back up their conclusion. On the other hand, the 'faithers' can make amazing discoveries that would never have been made by 'scrutinizers'. When there's little to no concrete evidence of something, maybe that was passed down in oral tradition, then only the 'faithers' ever seriously look for evidence. Oak Island is one of these situations, but not the only famous one. The search for Atlantis, Columbus believing that he could reach India by sailing west are both examples I thought of off the top of my head. Not all of them are failures (in case anyone thinks that's why I choose those examples), and Columbus was right in theory, just not execution.

Anyway, I've rambled along long enough about this. Just agree to disagree, and keep bringing up evidence for both sides. Maybe there will be some enlightenment either way and by discussing the rumors and setbacks we on this online pirate board can solve the mystery and take credit away from the land-owners.

Coastie B)

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Has anyone of us actually been to the island? If the answer is no, then we are all being “CREDULOUS” for believe everything we are told without questioning it. Without any first hand evidence on either side of the argument, you are believing what someone else has told you, or you read, or saw. This could go on for ever, because there are two types of people, the ”Prove That It Is” types and the “Prove That It Isn’t” types. Without first hand experience, both are opinions and both are valid, and neither should be looked down upon and criticized.

sounds like our talks on religion, mate.

I have a plan!

If the patrons of this fine establishment got together, pooled our resources and the "faithers" amongst us enthused and waxed lyrical to any wealthy businessmen they know it should be a doddle to raise the cash. Let's buy Oak Island, have a bit of a dig around and if we find anything whatsoever I'll admit what an ass I am.

Foxe falls more toward the 'if I don't see it, it never happened, whereas Capt. Enigma goes toward blind faith

That's possibly taking it a bit far, but it's probably a good summary.

Just agree to disagree, and keep bringing up evidence for both sides.

I can agree to that, but, and this it my whole point, nobody has yet posted any evidence in favour of there really being a money pit on Oak Island. If and when someone does, I'd gladly continue the debate, until then I'm going to have a little snooze...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I thought there was an article in "No Quarter Given" about "The Money Pit"..... now I'll have to try to find it.......

From what I remember (but I could be realy wrong on this...) it was to complex to have been made by pyrates...... the flood tunnels .... etc... and erosion underground has made them flood even better (or worse...)

Now I gotta go find that article............

Apparently the fact Oak Island is for sale hasn't escaped the History channel as their History's Mysterys work up on Oak Island has been been on at least 3 times in the last 2 days. Also I went back to the poll I did on Oak Island from May of 2004 and got the following link to a Skeptical Inquirer article that the late Deacon Frye posted.

http://www.csicop.org/si/2000-03/i-files.html

Enjoy mates

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Well there is more proof of a hole or something existing on Oak Island than not.

I was going to resist this, but I just can't. Petee, please provide examples of this proof.

Patrick, the article in NQG to which you are referring was a very well written article, but it started from the view-point that everything written about the money pit was true, the authors made no attempt to question whether or not that was in fact the case.

Hitman, thanks for that, nice article.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Now THAT I am in complete agreement with! There's holes in the ground, holes in the theories, bottomless pits that people keep throwing their money down... any number of flippin' holes B)

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

I say we go buy the island excavate. If we find a treasure great, if we don't we just say forget it turn the island into an 18th century hangout and sail around it and fight eachother :)

"A merry life and a short one be my motto"

Avid the PA ren faire, or live nearby? We're trying to start a club/group to do some fun things outside of the faire! www.countyerdoubloons.com/tavern

Eyes has found the treasure and yas can'tsd prove it otherwise. :huh:link & link

islewitpirateandhischestb.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I know that there have been other threads about Oak Island in this and other forums. I know also that there are many web-sites dedicated to the same. I also know because I've watched them there have many documentaries and stories on the money pit by the history channel, the discovery channel ect. What I don't remember right at this moment, were the photographs and film of platforms and coconut fibers the real thing or were they simulations of what was supposed to be found?

Other things I don't know or understand, what keeps grown adults coming back to the original pit. As a kid my friends and I would dig in hopes of finding something or building a secrete underground fort but thats not enough for grown-ups to throw in their hard earned chash and in some cases their lives. What is being used to convince them?

And, am I the only one who worries that should there be something down there, that random core drilling may destroy whatevere is down there? Just letting the water in is going to damage somethings like parchment beyond repair. The whole idea of digging other pits is to hopefully hit a secret vault, if any, without setting off anymore boobie-traps. To drill random holes seems counter productive to me.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!